Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2020, 23:14   #1

One thing I keep noticing about youtube videos...

Is how huge a budget most of these people seem to have compared to what I have to dream with.
Lasivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 00:04   #2

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: One thing I keep noticing about youtube videos...

And they have Patreon contributors to support them. Great work if you can get it.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 00:31   #3

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Have a look at Barry's 'Old Seadog' vids for a dose of reality.
Old 31-05-2020, 01:06   #4

Boat: Tayana 37 PH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Have a look at Barry's 'Old Seadog' vids for a dose of reality.
Watching all the time.
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 04:49   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 50DS

They also have fair weather on crossings. How come i never have flat seas and 12 knots of wind?
rjwdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 09:04   #6

I always comment that the "accounts" way of looking at cruising would render it impossible for most young cruisers, and some old. It is a very myopic view that assumes you do not live in the world, you live in a fixed paradigm and merely 'visit in passing', the entire world, to return (visited out) to your prior life...The reality is quite different...., you can put a year or more dry stores on a simple un-refrigerated 30-35 footer, put a couple of hundred bucks in your pocket, and sail off......wherever you arrive, the competent productive people are all working, and new projects come up all the time, and you sail in and pick one up...when I was cruising (7 years in my late 20's early 30's), much of my cruising was spent looking for a way to sustain myself....I met many people, many mentors, learned languages, did projects way beyond my prior competence, and picked up huge skills along with a massive dose of worldly reality and hopefully some humility and wisdom....these things MADE me money in the long term....they did not COST me anything. Leaving to go sailing, for a young person, is an INVESTMENT not an expenditure!!! Anyone who can get a sound boat across a few thousand miles and remain fed and happy, already has a diverse valuable skill set to trade with on the other side!! Honest, hardworking, humble sailors, never go without, and generally end up wallowing in abundance!!

When I left to go sailing in my mid 20's, my Mother asked me how long I could live on love , dry bread and water....I said then, and I still believe now , that if "I had to shackle myself to the industrial machine in the conventional way" in order to survive on planet earth, then "Take me now Lord"!!
PaulvR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 09:05   #7
PHR

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49

I'm not certain about the YT money rolling in through v-logs, at least in comparison to how much work they seem to take to produce and be competitive with other similar videos. I would rather experience something and relish the moment than worry about filming and editing the moments. But I am damn glad Barry, the Wynns, and others put so much effort into their work.
PHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 09:11   #8

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwdoc View Post
They also have fair weather on crossings. How come i never have flat seas and 12 knots of wind?
I sometimes wonder if the Gods dislike sailors, and treat us like a big practical joke.
Hahahaaaaa
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 09:32   #9

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Adventures of an old seadog
Sailing SV Bora Bora
Sailing Project Atticus
Sailing Kittiwake
Sailing Millenial Falcon
Wind Hippie Sailing
Sailing with the Litzenbergers
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 09:37   #10

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwdoc View Post
You can try looking at some of our videos - we don't have fair weather all the time. I know Barry of Sea Dog fairly well - he does a good job - but spends probably 20 hours per weeks making and editing those vids. If you like the one I'm linking to below - our channel name is

carsten breuning

here's the link to part of our sail from the Marquesas to Hawaii:

enjoy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 09:56   #11
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post
Is how huge a budget most of these people seem to have compared to what I have to dream with.
You can fulfill your dreams if you get real and determine what you need to live on. Look for the smallest boat that meets your needs that is in good "operational" condition; think hull, rigging, sails, diesel; everything else is extra. Look at the boat's bones not at the esthetics. Look beyond the dirt and grime and at the potential but check the boat's ratios to make sure it is designed for the use you have in mind. Do without refrigeration, genset, water maker, the latest elaborate electronics (the older gear will still get you there...use a handheld GPS instead of an expensive chartplotter).

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 09:59   #12

Boat: 40' Maine Cat

They work very hard to produce those videos and live a life that is far from private. I admire the fact that they manage to both sail the world and produce a good show at the same time - looks like fun. There are other ways however. I sailed around the world in the 90's as a younger man with no experience on a $25k boat spending $9k/year which I think is within most peoples reality, worked a little but managed it. You get accustomed to fish and rice, it was the healthiest and happiest I have ever been. I met a dentist with a dentist chair in his boat to help with both charity and income. A single handed juggler who was a consummate street performer (he did need to hang out in cities from time to time). A diver who recovered a boat full of whales teeth from an old abandoned whaling station, he sold quality scrimshaw. There are many ways to skin a cat if you really want to, especially in this time of internet everywhere.
jdaltonpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 10:37   #13

Boat: Freedom 32'

Adventures of an old sea dog with Barry is the only one I watch. To me the others are like the difference between watching Dollywood and a BBC production. Fake smiles and greetings, ******** honey dripping from their mouths! Oh crap, how can people watch this stuff.
Old 31-05-2020, 10:46   #14

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
Adventures of an old sea dog with Barry is the only one I watch.
I can’t say it is the only one I watch, but it is certainly the channel that seems to be the closest to real life and hardship encountered on a single handed circumnavigation.
To bad he choose a steal boat to sail in the tropics and is nearly dying from the heat.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2020, 10:50   #15

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasivian View Post

when we moved to south florida in the 1970's the sailing scene was a whole lot different than it is today. boats were smaller and simpler and much less well equipped. but the bahamas are only 50 miles away and once you made that 'scary' gulf stream crossing the water was shallow and well protected and most of the islands just a short sail apart.

we met oday 22's and venture 25's and bristol 27's and the whole range of small boats that you might think you'd be crazy to take out of sight of land. navigation was by compass and paper chart and if you had some extra money you might have an rdf for the crossing.

no refrigeration. stoves were pressure alcohol or kerosene. some used coleman camping stoves with lpg bottles. anchors were nearly always danforths and rope with maybe a short chain leader. and they survived and had a great time and stories to tell their grandchildren (who will be mightily bored).

one couple we met in miami had just returned from the bahamas in their bristol 27 after their six month permit ran out. they told us they had run out of money but had been anchored in hopetown harbor. they were living on peas and rice and lobster. seems they were anchored over a sunken boat in the harbor that was full of lobster. every morning he dove down and got a lobster for breakfast. in the afternoon he dove down and got a lobster for dinner. said to me 'you can get pretty sick of lobster'. said to him, 'i'd like to fiind out for myself'.

we had an albin 27 for awhile (excellent for cheap bahamas boat). two years after we sold it we met up with it iin the berry islands. a 20 something couple were living on it. and equpped just as i described above. no fridge. coleman camping stove on lpg. and having no plans of ever returning until the money ran out. she gave us a phone number and asked us to call her mother when we got to a telephone to tell her we had met up with them and they were fine. and speaking of phones, back then they were few and far between. i remember the nearest phone south of nassau was sixty miles away.

don't let all those megayachts that you and i will never own scare you away. unless you're planning deep ocean sailing you don't need a whole lot of boat or a whole lot of gear - just the right stuff.

we eventually worked up to a 'big' boat - a csy 37. but it was never over equpped. just the right stuff.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote