Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2012, 17:48   #1

Boat: Nonsuch 30
One Million Miles of Bluewater Experience

After so many discussions about bluewaterness, I have decided to do an ebook about bluewater cruising from the perspective of those who are doing it. My goal is to get input from cruisers who have collectively done at least one million miles of extended cruising (50 people x 20,000 nm or some variation).

To collect data for this book I have prepared a fairly extensive survey that looks at everything from boats to routes to insurance to health care to (dare we say) anchors. I would like anyone on CF who considers themselves to be an experienced offshore sailor (on their own boat since much of the survey deals with ownership experience) to complete the survey. To decide if you might qualify (it is a a self-qualification process), it occurred to me that useful criteria might be (you don't have to meet all of these but some combination would make sense:
- crossed an ocean
- did another offshore passage of at least 1500 nm
- been a full time cruiser for at least a year
- have sailed at least 10,000 nm
- considerable experience should preferably have been in the last five years

The survey is in the form of a Word document. You just place your cursor after a question and start typing. Send me an email at CruiserSurvey [at] hotmail.com and I will send the survey as an attachment to you. I would like to get replies by the end of November when we should have arrived in South Africa (I can spend the passage between SA and Brazil) collating the responses. Anyone submitting a response will get a free copy of the book which should be out sometime in 2013.

Thanks in advance for considering this request.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote