Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2013, 19:57   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: One boat I've loved and why...

Great idea terminalcitygrl!
Wow, there are so many boats.. Let's start with the first one, the one I loved (and still do) but never got (so far): Swan 65. About 30 years ago I was lucky to get some Nautor posters from a family member who worked at the Finnish Trade Department. Specifically the Swan 65, 57, 47, 391. I kept them on my room's wall and the Swan 65 was favorite by far. I remember sometimes having spent hours just studying the lines, the pictures, the data. Dreaming. All the other boys had rockband or car pictures on their walls, I had Swans! LOL!
The other "boat" I loved was my windsurfboard. Not because it was fancy or anything special, but because I have such good memories about it. When I was about 10yo we had a summer cottage by a big lake. The previous cottage was about 10nm away by the same lake. The old cottage was a real Paradise of Eden. About a mile of shoreline, 3 sandbeaches, "a mangrovebeach" 3 capes, flower fields, forest, logsauna. I remember how exciting it was to sail there for the first time, only knowing its toward where the sun sets, not sure how far, maybe a few capes away. Well I managed to find it after a few hours sailing (without permission of course) and it was a beautiful sunny summer's day. One that I still remember 30 years after. Still remember the sound of the water against the board, the sound of the wind, the bright sun shine, the blue sky. It was a magical childhood adventure.
The third boat was actually a real boat. The one I recently had to sell. It was a custom built Morgan 63 sloop. A beautiful, beautiful classic yacht. Unfortunately it was too much for me to maintain and I ended selling her. But we became friends with the buyer who loves the boat and I still have a chance to see that beautiful boat once again.

Finally, I have to say, if terminalcitygrl had not said the below, I would not had shared my personal memories. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
The absolute rule: nobody can dump on or question or malign anyone else's story or dream or thoughts. This is an exercise of sharing and non-judgement, the story can be harrowing and difficult and can be about admitting something stupid you did but it can't involve calling down other people/ countries/ etc...and if people comment on the stories other folks share, they can do so only in a supportive way. If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all. Just for this one thread. Thanks.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 20:22   #17

Boat: Tayana 37

I know I'm gonna regret this but...... All this happiness is driving me nuts! Would someone please start comparing anchors or tell us sbout their gun?
Old 19-02-2013, 21:06   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefuss View Post
I know I'm gonna regret this but...... All this happiness is driving me nuts! Would someone please start comparing anchors or tell us sbout their gun?
Dude!!! C'mon now, you can get that action on pretty much EVeRY OtHER THreAd! We gotta have a little corner of zen somewhere in this big, ole, crazy world.

terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 21:15   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Hunter made so many boats you cant dislike all of them,that is a nice one..
Ouch. A back-handed complement if I've ever heard one.

So much for the zen.
Old 20-02-2013, 06:31   #20

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
Dont know the boat but its a cool story..
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 07:25   #21

Boat: 1977 shannon 38 cutter

I owned a Soling for 15 years. Did some racing with it , but mostly day sailed out of the small boat harbor in Buffalo, NY. Bought it for 5000.00 and sold it for 5000.00. In between I dismasted it twice. Once when a waterski boat jumped over James Bond style as I sat on my mooring on the Canadian shoreline. The insurance company totaled her, but I kept her, repaired her myself, renamed her Bullseye. Used the left over money from the settlement to take drive west and ski for a month in Colorado Utah. Learned most of my single handing technique and wooed many a young lady aboard that sleek craft.
With heavy heart I sold her and moved on to C&C 29 then to my current love a Shannon 38. Both increased my skill and range while decreasing my bank account. On the Shannon I sailed off into the Atlantic for one heck of an adventure, but I will never forget the lessons learned or the joy I had on the Soling.
By the way I believe she is alive and well on the Potomac.
starchaser 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 07:42   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I learned to sail on an El Toro when I was 11 years old. It always makes me smile inside when I see kids out sailing them.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 07:45   #23
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I learned to sail on an El Toro when I was 11 years old. It always makes me smile inside when I see one out sailing.

I earned sailing merit badge in the family El Toro.

Happiest day of my life was when I "graduated" to a Snipe. What a grownup I was to be able to control two sails at once in the Snipe!
Old 20-02-2013, 07:56   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Ouch. A back-handed complement if I've ever heard one.

So much for the zen.
I once told a fellow I didnt like the Beatles(Rolling Stones yea!)And he told me that they wrote so many songs that I couldnt dislike all of them,He was right,lots of folks pick on Hunters but they have certanly made lots of boats and I like a lot of there boats,didnt mean for it to be "back handed" some of my greatest days on the water were in a Hunter 34...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 08:48   #25

I don't know if this is making a virtue out of necessity, but I still have a big love for our first and current boat, a Sandpiper 565.

We bought her in spring 2007 as something to do together, since my wife had firmly decided she wouldn't get into my sport of windsurfing.

Reasons I still love this boat:
- all the trailer-sailing reasons: dirt cheap to buy, cheap to own, sail and maintain, gets us to many different places
- just big enough for two people to cruise in for a long weekend; longer if you take a motel/laundry break once in a while
- the stability of a weighted keel (retractible) but still lively and "throw-about"
- sails loops around larger boats in the fluky, light air of Toronto summers, but sturdy enough on the big lake in up to 25 kt.
- the perfect size for exploring the larger cottage-lakes of S. Ontario
- there's a great group of owners. Every year we manage to get around 9 to 12 boats out for a rendezvous in August.

We do plan to get a larger boat (maybe in 2 years), and I've sailed on and worked on many bigger boats, but I've decided I'll never sell this little thing. I've met too many boaters who look at her and regret that they upsized. The whole "more boat = less sailing" thing, I guess.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 09:13   #26

Boat: Baltic 38DP

We haven't done many miles together yet, but I love my Baltic 38DP. Dropdead gorgeous, practical, good sail boat, nice balance between sporty and cruising. I really enjoyed doing the design and restoring her. I think she is the right one to bring me back into the sailing world after many decades in deep dark Africa. Can't wait to start properly using her this season.

The other boat I really loved was the dinghy my dad and two of his friends built in the 1976/77: a Spanker (a Dutch 19ft dinghy with 16m2 of sail). We owned her for over 30 years. The thrill of the trapeze was what she taught us.

Onno
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0357.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	55293   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0453.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	55294  

JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 10:23   #27
CF Adviser

Quote:
I once told a fellow I didnt like the Beatles(Rolling Stones yea!)And he told me that they wrote so many songs that I couldnt dislike all of them,He was right,lots of folks pick on Hunters but they have certanly made lots of boats and I like a lot of there boats,didnt mean for it to be "back handed" some of my greatest days on the water were in a Hunter 34...
Understood. I was never a big Beatles fan myself, but how could someone not be moved by "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" ??

Of course, my favorite version is by Jake Shimabukuro:

Old 20-02-2013, 10:53   #28

Boat: Baltic 38DP

I like to play an acoustic version of it, as it can be found on "Anthology 3". Capo on the 5th fret, it is great to play it fingerstyle. Lovely song.

Jake's version is very nice - thanks for sharing, I wasn't aware of him.

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 10:58   #29

Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'

Not being an experienced boat person I don't have a long list but I have now owned my 1968 Swan 36 for a couple of years. I have about 4000 miles under my belt in her.

I have had to do quite a bit of work on her to bring her up to the standards I want but also have sailed here quite a bit. She is teaching me about many things I need to know about sailboat maintenance and repair. She sails great and is easy to handle even single handed. I feel like I'm always safe in such a solidly built boat and a great Sparkman & Stevens design.

She is also relatively inexpensive to buy and maintain compared to newer boats.

I get a lot of people that recognize she is a Swan or at least a Sparkman & Stevens and meet lots of people just by being on her.

So since my experience is limited I've only sailed on 6 30+ size boats. I sure do love this one and she has provided me with a lot of great new experiences and keeps my dreams alive for many more in the future.
Old 20-02-2013, 11:41   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Understood. I was never a big Beatles fan myself, but how could someone not be moved by "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" ??

Of course, my favorite version is by Jake Shimabukuro:

Mine too I bought that cd several yrs. back ..that guy shreds those two octives!
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote