Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2015, 11:27   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
On getting liked and getting along..,

I looked for people that used to post in 08 when I started this. Only Gordon, Z are left now. Where did they all go? Even the even handed ones are gone, had their feelings hurt by some yahoo who wanted to give an opinion, or maybe a few that wanted them to conform.
No more.
I am not going to be hurt by someone's post. If they listen or feel like they have the better way- more power to them.
I will still pick them up when they are treading water.
Please put me on ignore if you don't want to hear what I have to say.
But I'm going to say it anyway.- no matter what is PC, or the groupthink is.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 11:49   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: On getting liked and getting along..,

My last VA psych evil said I was not to be placed in a position where I have to directly I tract with the public/customers also that ( and I paraphrase here) I don't get along well with others /co workers. So the report basicly says Im a non conformist by nature. Go figure.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 12:07   #3

I've been here since 2006.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 12:21   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

s/v beth,

I don't think people leave because they got hurt feelings once or twice, or angry once or twice, but there is a lot that is the same year after year. So, IMO, feeling disgusted that some people write what they think is funny, but in fact is sarcastic, and targeted, or ignoring the fact that we can't see the twinkling of the eyes in reading the printed word, is a feeling I can relate to. That some people are too lazy to express themselves clearly, or want to be spoon fed answers rather than seeking them themselves, that can get tiresome. I only hope some of the "desaparecidos" [the "ones who have disappeared"] have gone cruising... I do know, some have passed on.

There are still people with interesting questions, though.

I have to say, I couldn't agree more, that if a reader doesn't like how I express myself, he or she should certainly feel free to put me on "ignore", either with the CF button, or in their mind. One does learn whom one will ignore.

Of course, one has to pick them up if they're treading water, but you are not required to like their internet persona.

Interesting thread, mine the 3rd response, I think, unless someone beat me to it, and all quite different. Vive la difference!

Ann
Old 14-12-2015, 12:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
My last VA psych evil said I was not to be placed in a position where I have to directly I tract with the public/customers also that ( and I paraphrase here) I don't get along well with others /co workers. So the report basicly says Im a non conformist by nature. Go figure.
No, there's a difference between being nonconformist and being anti-social.

Just like there's a difference between having an original idea and just being rude. There's no correlation, despite what some eccentric people might want you to believe. Yes, some brilliant people are socially awkward. No, being socially awkward is not always a sign of brilliance.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 12:45   #6
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Light being so much faster than sound explains why some of us seem so bright before you hear us speak.

hey, I been here since '06, too. Year after we moved out of the USA.
Old 14-12-2015, 12:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
s/v beth,

I don't think people leave because they got hurt feelings once or twice, or angry once or twice, but there is a lot that is the same year after year. So, IMO, feeling disgusted that some people write what they think is funny, but in fact is sarcastic, and targeted, or ignoring the fact that we can't see the twinkling of the eyes in reading the printed word, is a feeling I can relate to. That some people are too lazy to express themselves clearly, or want to be spoon fed answers rather than seeking them themselves, that can get tiresome. I only hope some of the "desaparecidos" [the "ones who have disappeared"] have gone cruising... I do know, some have passed on.

There are still people with interesting questions, though.

I have to say, I couldn't agree more, that if a reader doesn't like how I express myself, he or she should certainly feel free to put me on "ignore", either with the CF button, or in their mind. One does learn whom one will ignore.

Of course, one has to pick them up if they're treading water, but you are not required to like their internet persona.

Interesting thread, mine the 3rd response, I think, unless someone beat me to it, and all quite different. Vive la difference!

Ann

I can't imagine anyone putting you on ignore. There have been a couple of times that I didn't agree with you, but they were purely subjective opinions. The other 99.5% of the time, I agree with you because you reason, your logic is correct and you back it up with your wisdom, which is not easily gained.

On every forum, there is a core group who are the dispensers of most of the useful knowledge. You are definitely one of the core group here on this forum, and you have already dispensed a great deal of wisdom, regardless of how repetitious some new person's questions may have become. CF is blessed to have a lot of very well educated people (believe me, I've seen forums that looked like they were filled with 3rd graders due to fart jokes and horrible spelling) who are willing to impart their knowledge, even to incredible levels of detail, if someone wants to ask to that depth.

There are plenty of threads that I just read, because I'd rather learn from those who have been there/done that and that's why I'm here, to learn. You and Jim are very valuable sources of experience!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 13:18   #8

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I see lots of people who have been registered and posting since '08 and before.

As to why some are not here, I know a few of them and life changes for people and their focus changes with it. Many previous posters no longer even own boats anymore.

I remember even older days, and hardly any of those people are here now.

It has very little to do with hurt feelings or forced conformity, etc. It has most to do with life moving on.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 13:29   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

I'm from 04 but I see many of the regulars drop out. Some had a lot of knowledge to contribute. Don't know why people quit but answering the same questions over and over must get tiring. Since I've been here I've only seen two guys get banned. Too bad, they provided some amusement. Scoobert where are you??
Old 14-12-2015, 14:21   #10

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Ill tell youbwhy I drop off forums...most often its because of simple meaness and rudeness. Im not really an arguer and Im not very bright. But I wont tollerate meaness. I have much better things to do. Im always baffled that some posters can be very knowledgeable but have to add insults to their comments too.

I am speaking generally and my comments dont reflect on my personal experience on cf. But even here I see insults, off color remarks and meaness directed at others. Most of us are middle aged but some act like teen aged jerks.

Strangely I see my own seriousness and desire for respect and normal kindness as resulting in lack of friendships in rl and the net. People are weird. My dog is understanding though.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 15:59   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
No, there's a difference between being nonconformist and being anti-social.

Just like there's a difference between having an original idea and just being rude. There's no correlation, despite what some eccentric people might want you to believe. Yes, some brilliant people are socially awkward. No, being socially awkward is not always a sign of brilliance.
I'm not anti social. I can and have been known to bs with the best of them I just prefer to keep my own council
Old 14-12-2015, 16:27   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

I joined in '08.
I sort of come and go. Sometimes I will be gone for a year or so.
When I am out sailing or adventuring in the world, about the last thing I think about is the internet and I only check telephone messages once a week or so.
My philosophy is that...
"Life is what happens when people are not on the internet".
For me one of the major attractions of cruising and travel is getting away from this crap. Life is more enjoyable unplugged.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 16:47   #13

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
I joined in '08.
I sort of come and go. Sometimes I will be gone for a year or so.
When I am out sailing or adventuring in the world, about the last thing I think about is the internet and I only check telephone messages once a week or so.
My philosophy is that...
"Life is what happens when people are not on the internet".
For me one of the major attractions of cruising and travel is getting away from this crap. Life is more enjoyable unplugged.
Sometimes I wish we could be gone longer. As we get closer to being gone again, I get more antsy.

Where is Andrew Troupe?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 16:47   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I'm from 04 but I see many of the regulars drop out. Some had a lot of knowledge to contribute. Don't know why people quit but answering the same questions over and over must get tiring. Since I've been here I've only seen two guys get banned. Too bad, they provided some amusement. Scoobert where are you??
Doing the same over on sn as don0190
Old 14-12-2015, 17:55   #15

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Doing the same over on sn as don0190
don0190? I thought he was either "Schooner Captain" or "Union Pacific".
Not to worry, he's easily identifiable lol.