Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2021, 12:50   #1

Boat: O'Day 25 CB
O'Day 25 mainsail rigging help needed with pics

So I went sailing for the first time in my O'day 25 last week. A small reservoir near my house with no NOAA info that I know of, so I went with the weather app on my phone which predicted 8 mph winds. I thought that I should have no problem using the main at full and the standard jib.

All went well, I learned quite a bit. I am confident that I can get a lot out of some ASA lessons now. I did not, however, handle the gusts well. Wind seemed to come from all angles depending on where we were. My solution for excessive heel was to steer into the wind, and luckily each time there was no one near us. We ended up doing a 360 at one point. Also, I forgot to install the battens. Yes, unfortunately I was that guy.

So I learned the supposedly first rule of sailing, reef early (safety first being a given). I was wondering if I could get maybe a definition or term to search for regarding the rigging on the main pictured below. I can definitely reef it without help, but I would like to get to know how this design is meant to be used instead of butchering it which seems to be my path in this adventure.

Also, obviously I bought this boat used, so I'm using it as I found it. Please shout if anything looks wrong.

Thank you for your help!

Tom

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210531_180541007.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	239519   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210531_180610288.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	239520  

Name:	PXL_20210531_180633809.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	239521  
Eotnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2021, 15:38   #2

Re: O'Day 25 mainsail rigging with pics

From the best that I can gather, my mainsail has 2 reefing positions, first raises the boom on an angle. The second position lowers the head of the sail, and the topping lift would have to be lowered again.

If this is the case then I think I have it figured out. The topping lift was never set up properly.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20210531_221300760.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	239527  
Old 02-06-2021, 04:19   #3

So....yes I was a bit wordy and I tried to edit the title but it didn't take for some reason. Anyone have any insight on my reefing question? Do I have it correct as I described in post #2?
Old 02-06-2021, 06:02   #4
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

The first hole on the leading luff edge of the main is a Cunningham cringle, it is used to flatten the main, not reefing it. The second set of holes are your reef cringles. The forward most and aft most are larger and stronger, they are what you use to reef. The smaller holes in between are just to bundle up the loose sail, they should not carry any load.
I'm not sure what the several smaller holes in the luff are for, maybe some sort of Dutchman for flaking the sail as it comes down.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 06:03   #5
JBP

Sailing on small lakes, especially dammed rivers is always crazy as the wind twists and turns around the land. Fortunately they rarely are big enough to get dangerously rough. Yes, heading up into the gusts is OK. You can also loosen the main sheet in gusts (presuming you are sailing upwind, downwind the opposite is true.)
Old 02-06-2021, 06:38   #6

Wow thanks!! I'm glad to hear some validation for some of my instincts. Towards the end of the day I was indeed loosening the main sheet upwind and tightening downwind. I kind of felt my way through it.

Huge thanks for cluing me in to the Cunningham. I read up a little on it, seems straight forward. The smaller 1/4" holes in the luff have a line running through them that 2 slides/slugs attach to where the holes are closer together. The rest of the slides in the mainsail are attached directly to the sail. Maybe the hole/line/slide setup at the bottom is for easier folding for reefing? We found it very difficult to tension the luff because of them, and we kept the Cunningham free because I assumed it was a reef point.

I was on Lake Nockamixon if you're familiar with it. At some point I think I'm going to have to take some lessons where the wind is a bit more steady so I can learn about sail shaping. I might be chasing my tail without some experience to guide my focus.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:57   #7
JBP

Everyone learns differently, but whatever combination of classes, books and videos, and just doing it that you like is fine. There are a lot of videos on YouTube about learning to sail. The first thing you will learn is that everyone has a different way and resolutely believes their way is the only correct way.

Tags
sail, rigging, mainsail