Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2017, 12:15   #1

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Non-Use of Report Post Button

Hi, guys,

Some of you out there may not know about the "Report Post" button. It is the little red outlined white triangle with an "!" in the center on the left side bottom of each post.

The button should be used to report rudeness, personal attacks or vulgarity, as well as duplicate posts, and sometimes posts you find that are in the wrong place. Re-read the Community Rules (button to click at the bottom of every page) to see this spelled out more.

The volunteer moderators as a group review reported posts and may or may not take action at our discretion. I, personally, rely a lot on the members to report posts that have problems.

If you respond poorly to someone else's rudeness, we'll sanction you just like we sanction the provocateur, we don't care who started it.

If you have a problem with one your own posts, flag it with an explanation of the problem and we'll see if we can help--usually, we can.

Now, off my soapbox to just ask you guys who have thought about reporting posts, and then not done it, to share your reasons why not.

What has kept me from it most often is the feeling that I don't want to be a tattletale, plus, an attitude of "I'd rather do it myself!" [than bother a moderator]. I've now learned that the moderator would prefer to be bothered!

Thanks in advance,

Ann
Old 26-11-2017, 12:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Non-Use of Report Post Button

Hi Ann,

I have indeed reported a few posts in the past and not reported a few. The ones I reported were clearly violations of one sort or another. Usually some variety of spam, but occasionally violations of the be nice or similar rules.

It is the later where I hesitate. If one member calls another by a name not allowed in polite company, well sure that's reportable. However, I think there's a rather large, grey area where disagreements can get warm and another's opinion disparaged but at what point does that cross the line?

I have been in a couple of discussions where I felt personally insulted (or I judged others clearly were insulted) by another member using less than polite terms but nothing vulgar or profane. In those cases I generally forget about it and usually just move on or drop the thread.

On the other hand, I can recall two of my posts that were deleted, incorrectly I think. One post I disparaged in the most outrageous way a friend's boat strictly in jest. The post was so over the top I didn't think inserting a smiley face was necessary but apparently someone didn't get the joke and reported it. The second I used the word "moderate" meaning not to excess and it was deleted because one isn't supposed to talk about the moderators.

Interesting topic and I'm glad you brought it up. I speculate this might relate to a recently closed thread.
Old 26-11-2017, 12:51   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Great post Ann, I have thought about reporting posts but never have. Mostly because of "tattling" but also since most that I would report are removed shortly after anyways.
So basically mods already seem on top of things.
But I will try to help out more in the future.
Thanks to all the volunteers who keep this site running.
Old 26-11-2017, 13:05   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

after a few years of repeated bannings i learned to use the report icon.
Old 26-11-2017, 13:25   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

I rarely report due to most issues seem to resolve themselves. I have had posts deleted one I even got likes on didn't even know it had been deleted. In till I went to see what one was liked.
Old 26-11-2017, 14:05   #6

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Thanks for the post. I haven't really considered reporting any posts until now.

But, if by some chance I'm the first one to see obvious abuse or a clear mistake, I'll consider it in the future.

As for why not, I guess I just haven't seen anything I'd want deleted. Sure, some discussions (or outright arguments) go on too long, or go too far off-topic. But I still feel like there's some wheat among the chaff, and just skip the rude or misguided posts.

Put another way, I think the moderators are doing a great job of allowing plenty of leeway without letting things get too far out of line.

Thank you!
Old 26-11-2017, 16:15   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thank you very much for all the kind comments.

@zeehag: I think it took a whole lot of gumption for you to come back after that, and I, for one, am very glad you did.

Ann
Old 26-11-2017, 18:03   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Maybe some don’t use the report button because they know it goes to the moderators who they feel act unevenly. But this can’t be discussed as that is against the rules.
Old 26-11-2017, 18:40   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I rarely report due to most issues seem to resolve themselves. I have had posts deleted one I even got likes on didn't even know it had been deleted. In till I went to see what one was liked.

So you made a post that was rude, insulting or otherwise violated the rules and another like-minded member was amused enough to “Thank” you for it but then another member flagged the post and group of moderators agreed that it violated the rules and deleted the post?
Old 26-11-2017, 18:40   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Non-Use of Report Post Button

I've never cried to Momma..
I is a big boy and deal with it myself.. even if it has resulted in a couple of bans and a few strikes in the past.
My sense of humour goes awry sometimes.. over some heads on others and they get pissy..
Thats Life.. one gets to know the ones who hate having their leg pulled soon enough then one eases of the pedal.
Kinda tough judging hair triggers on the Net till they've been pulled a time or 3.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 26-11-2017, 19:05   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
So you made a post that was rude, insulting or otherwise violated the rules and another like-minded member was amused enough to “Thank” you for it but then another member flagged the post and group of moderators agreed that it violated the rules and deleted the post?
if I remember correctly it was advice that officially took the action . He told me why it was deleted and he was correct in doing so .
Old 26-11-2017, 19:16   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I have had a bunch of my posts deleted and here I am!
We are just trying to help this thing run smoothly and be truly helpful, and respectful, to all. Let's all save the rude rants for the Rudder Room at the end of the breakwater. I'll even buy the beer!
But if something strikes you as disrespectful, hit the button and we do our best to sort it out in our democratic way, per the rules...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 26-11-2017, 19:17   #13

Boat: Rafiki 37

Interesting discussion Ann. I’m kinda curious about what has promoted you to pose this question. I will say, I think the mods do a good job here. I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, but I don’t feel we are under-moderated here on CF.

But to try and answer, I guess my reticence is as you’ve mentioned: not wanting to be a tattletale. But I also feel if there is an issue with a person, that I and other members of this community, can usually take care of it without official sanction. 'Membership-moderation' has been the norm for most successful lists and forums I’ve been on (and have run). I think official moderation is best done in moderation.

Skipmac put it well; there is a wide and deep grey zone between flagrant abuse and polite discussion. I recognize this is not a public space, but I think free speech should be given the widest possible berth. My view is that only in extreme cases should official sanction be called down.

So… I don’t see me changing my approach to using the report button.
Old 26-11-2017, 20:10   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Interesting discussion Ann. I’m kinda curious about what has promoted you to pose this question. I will say, I think the mods do a good job here. I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, but I don’t feel we are under-moderated here on CF.

Exactly. I think the moderation on this forum strikes a very good balance, not too much but not too little.

Quote:
But to try and answer, I guess my reticence is as you’ve mentioned: not wanting to be a tattletale.
Thought about this point and in my case I would feel more whiner than tattletale.

Quote:
But I also feel if there is an issue with a person, that I and other members of this community, can usually take care of it without official sanction. 'Membership-moderation' has been the norm for most successful lists and forums I’ve been on (and have run). I think official moderation is best done in moderation.
Had not thought about it in these specific terms but now that you mention it I do see this happening on the forum.
Old 26-11-2017, 20:20   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Methinks I should report the OP for discussing "moderation" - a flagrant disregard for the rules...

Naughty Ann.

Oh wait, here it is - the proper emoticon -

If ya don't hear from me, Ann's banned me and I will have to strike her off my Christmas card list - which will be a pity 'cause I am looking forward to a glass of Xmas cheer with her & Jim.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Closed Thread