Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2017, 14:58   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Non-Use of Report Post Button

Guys, if yawl just share your vast knowledge with us lesser mortals, and try not to get into fights over stuff.... we all win.

I for one am extremely grateful.

Old 29-11-2017, 14:59   #92

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I would rather deal with excessive flagging than cleaning up a flame war, less work.
I can see where your coming from. :smile
Old 29-11-2017, 16:11   #93
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Ken.
How long have you been a member?
Stop it. You know the answer.
Hit the button.
Longer than you.
Old 29-11-2017, 16:37   #94
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Hmm... mods help me out here - what should I do???

I genuinely find one of the above posts quite offensive - as in rude and uncalled for. Not to me personally, but to another member and to the overall tone of the of the thread (and CF).

But I wouldn't report it as:

1. It is not directed towards me.
2. I might have misunderstood the point of the post.
3. I don't really know the personal dynamic that pre-exists between the two posters.
4. There may be cultural aspects that I am unaware of.
5. Offense is usually taken rather than given - so who am I to decide it there is genuine offence intended.
6. The poster that I believe has been slighted is the one who (if offended) is the one who should report it. It simply isn't my business. I just raise my eyebrows and move on - perhaps giving some consideration to the possibility I have mis-read the situation.
7. I try very hard not to post factually incorrect information and in this instance I simply can't determine the facts, only the perceived emotional aspects of the interchange. Thus I am wary of reporting stuff that is not factual.

And yet, this thread indicates to me (at least) that such posts should be reported - yet I feel disinclined to do so.

Thoughts???
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 29-11-2017, 16:48   #95

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

I genuinely find one of the above posts quite offensive - as in rude and uncalled for. Not to me personally, but to another member and to the overall tone of the of the thread (and CF).

3. I don't really know the personal dynamic that pre-exists between the two posters.
5. Offense is usually taken rather than given - so who am I to decide it there is genuine offence intended.
6. The poster that I believe has been slighted is the one who (if offended) is the one who should report it. It simply isn't my business. I just raise my eyebrows and move on - perhaps giving some consideration to the possibility I have mis-read the situation.
7. I try very hard not to post factually incorrect information and in this instance I simply can't determine the facts, only the perceived emotional aspects of the interchange. Thus I am wary of reporting stuff that is not factual.

And yet, this thread indicates to me (at least) that such posts should be reported - yet I feel disinclined to do so.

Thoughts???
Old 29-11-2017, 16:51   #96

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Perhaps many of us are "thick skinned."
Old 29-11-2017, 17:00   #97

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I don't believe in censorship and for other reasons that can't be discussed due to the rules.
Old 29-11-2017, 17:05   #98

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

Thoughts???
I see the confusion.
I feel the confusion.
No decision should be taken, post 7.
Post 6 is a good balance.

On the basis that you might be Catholic, but having no facts to support it, I offer absolution for your emotional state.

You may of course not be Catholic and in consequence will not not feel the benefit of the blessing. In which case I can only offer apologies for the waste, and a slight regret over losing $10 in the box.

but then Im not Catholic either so it could be regarded as an opportunistic attempt to make a quick income. Would I then have to ask your benediction on my weakness?

I think the best thing to do would ignore everything and drink beer.

Life is difficult at the best of times.
Old 29-11-2017, 17:20   #99

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:

Thoughts???
If you feel disinclined, don't report. Your first priority has to be to yourself. But, if your first flash was of indignation or something similar that someone was really writing something uncalled for or disrespectful, then reporting it would help us to put out fires while they're small. When the bun fight has become throwing stones, the bad feelings will stay for a while, no matter what: and, also, someone else will report it. It is a real help, but you come before helping us.

Ann
Old 29-11-2017, 17:27   #100

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Perhaps many of us are "thick skinned."
That's right, and tolerance is a widely promoted value in our culture, along with whatever part our personality plays. In addition, our culture also supports minding one's own business, yet another reason to not use the button.

I used to avoid it for not wanting to overwork the mods, who I knew were volunteers. Eventually, they encouraged me enough that I felt okay with it.

The fact is that the Internet does not give eyeball to eyeball feedback, and I think that is part of why sometimes posts are rude and disrespectful. It is easy to claim this is all about PC, and there's a hair of truth in that: acceptable communication norms are enforced all the time in face to face contact, by reading of non-verbal communication. On a forum all we have is the written word, and one's innate plain speech needs some self-moderating, or it will be misinterpreted or give offense.

Ann
Old 29-11-2017, 17:27   #101
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Ken.
How long have you been a member?
Stop it. You know the answer.
Hit the button.
I found it to be quite rude, but what good would it do for me to report it?

So it's best to just ignore.
Old 29-11-2017, 17:33   #102

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
[...]

Thoughts???
Report it if it bugs you enough that you feel like reporting it. Otherwise don't.

It's the moderator's sworn duty to try and sort this all out. That's why we get paid the big bucks.

(No, we get paid exactly zero. We do it because we enjoy the site and somebody asked us if we would consider becoming a moderator.)
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Old 29-11-2017, 17:34   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Yes, I also found it quite rude. But what good would it do for me to report it?

You see the dilemma.... So it's best to just ignore.
I feel your pain.
Old 29-11-2017, 17:37   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Report it if it bugs you enough that you feel like reporting it. Otherwise don't.

It's the moderator's sworn duty to try and sort this all out. That's why we get paid the big bucks.
Sworn duty? Seriously, you mods are worth every bit of what you are paid.
Old 29-11-2017, 17:54   #105

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

OK folks... For now this thread is being closed. The initial point and much discussion is well taken but we are perilously close to tipping the canoe. Let's move on - thanks.

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Closed Thread