Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 13:10   #1

Boat: Bombay PH 31
No-Name Storm in Melbourne, FL

We recorded gusts to 85 and one person(unconfermid) reports 53 sustained. The NOAA report was for 20~25
at least four boats that i know of are down and one is busting up on rocks.

Did the dumbest thing in my life, prepareing to get off boat the bow came off dinghy and exploded on rocks. we decided to try swimming for ladder on dock 20 yds away. almost drowend kid and boat held like it should have when i set hooks. 1, 60 bruce 1, 40 bruce 34 fin keel 15 foot water

more links are here
Boat
and
Storms leave boats high and dry
Old 12-10-2011, 15:30   #2

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft
Re: No-Name Storm in Melbourne, FL, US

Glad we didn't get that on the west coast.
Old 12-10-2011, 15:56   #3

Happy Birthday! Hope you guys are all ok and recover from the bruising from "No Name".
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 11:48   #4

Thanks, i had actully forgot about it! im at that age where this year im 53 next I'll be 52, when i get back to fifty i intend to stay there!
Hope you stayed in the banana looked like a mill pond there.
BTW do you know scott on "mañana" ? i realley need to get that old hurth trans from him. id have gone over to dragon point once i saw the for cast was that far off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
Happy Birthday! Hope you guys are all ok and recover from the bruising from "No Name".
Old 13-10-2011, 11:49   #5

made channell thirteen!
Family on boat swims to shore in height of no name storm
Old 13-10-2011, 16:16   #6

Boat: PETERSON 44
Wow. I got caught in a very bad anchorage with a tornado looming. When the sirens went off in town we donned jackets and nearly jumped in the dink. I looked around and aborted. The shore was 70yards or so no way I'm getting in the water in conditions like that. I tucked my son in the back cabin he read and colored I clipped in and hung on pushing the throttle up as the load came on us .
Didnt get a tornado just the threat and a really ugly swirling green mass shore side. That was ballsie to go over the side. the shot looks like no way your holding in that stuff good luck you have a boat and your family.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 08:07   #7

Re: No-Name Storm in Melbourne, FL

Would you belive,
some low life P.O.S. came out and unshackeld my big anchor from chain/rope connection?
thats the one held during that whole blow:bangh ead:

if any one sees someone that has just aquiered a 40# bruce type from west marine with 35(apx) of 3/8ths and a galvanized swivil with stainless shackels.
tell the SOB he left his shirt behind wile ransacking boat. and id like to return it to him
Old 14-10-2011, 12:36   #8

I would definitely report the incident to the local police. Maybe they can find prints or something. Its a dirty rotten shame that people are like that.
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 12:41   #9

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad

i'm afraid i can't see why anyone (especially kids) would leave a floating boat to swim to shore in that storm. it may have been scary, uncomfortable, etc. but it was NOT sinking!! this is how people drown and to put your wife and kids in the water was not really too smart (to say the least).

around the corner from where that boat was anchored we saw an "anchored" boat drag down toward boats in a marina and some residents risked their lives to save it and the boats it was going to hit. when the owner retrieved it they saw that the guys anchor was only 2 buckets of cement. real nice, bud. i'm sure you have no insurance and don't give a damn about what damage your boat does to others due to your negligence. if you're going to leave a boat unattended during hurricane season, GET AN ANCHOR AND CHAIN AND LEARN HOW TO USE IT!!!!! sheeeeesh!!
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 12:43   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

You should report it but I doubt their's much they can do. You might pass it on to the news folks as a follow up story to the original.

I'm glad you made it through in one piece.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 12:59   #11

is your boat from punta gorda? didnt catch the name. was that you guys anchored by me ? there was a trawler that took ten trys to get hooked up. thought you might have tangled in it.
If you saw the dinghy exploeded on the rocks right down wind and no way to get out and a swim ladder 25yds away? what would have been better climbing dock ladder or rocks?
no not sinking but everyone else hit mud i had rocks downwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by defever View Post
i'm afraid i can't see why anyone (especially kids) would leave a floating boat to swim to shore in that storm. it may have been scary, uncomfortable, etc. but it was NOT sinking!! this is how people drown and to put your wife and kids in the water was not really too smart (to say the least).

around the corner from where that boat was anchored we saw an "anchored" boat drag down toward boats in a marina and some residents risked their lives to save it and the boats it was going to hit. when the owner retrieved it they saw that the guys anchor was only 2 buckets of cement. real nice, bud. i'm sure you have no insurance and don't give a damn about what damage your boat does to others due to your negligence. if you're going to leave a boat unattended during hurricane season, GET AN ANCHOR AND CHAIN AND LEARN HOW TO USE IT!!!!! sheeeeesh!!
Old 14-10-2011, 13:06   #12

BTW it looked like the trawler was trying to use a 5# fortess
yeah thats anchor and chain! now you know why i offered to give you my spare danforth?
Old 14-10-2011, 13:34   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyspc View Post
is your boat from punta gorda? didnt catch the name. was that you guys anchored by me ? there was a trawler that took ten trys to get hooked up. thought you might have tangled in it.
If you saw the dinghy exploeded on the rocks right down wind and no way to get out and a swim ladder 25yds away? what would have been better climbing dock ladder or rocks?
no not sinking but everyone else hit mud i had rocks downwind
That would indeed be a tough situation and a difficult call. Did you consider starting the engine and using it to reduce strain on the anchor? Could you have called for help from the coast guard in getting off?

Old 27-10-2011, 11:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
That would indeed be a tough situation and a difficult call. Did you consider starting the engine and using it to reduce strain on the anchor? Could you have called for help from the coast guard in getting off?
To end thread, sorry for taking so long to get back, everything is now back where it belongs. Found anchor, shackle missing pin. I didn’t us ss seizing wire so no telling.

Engines been down quite some time, I’ve been using dink to move around when wind not fair. Thought it to dangers to try clawing off under storm sails with an 11 yr old for crew! (Rember, 25 yds to dock 30 to rocks straight downwind!)

I had called sea-tow before conditions deteriorated and they told me they’d come get kids off if they had a chance, at that time things were still ok. Once we started dragging I requested they tow me to ANY safe harbor, they said they would “tomorrow once it calms down” what a waste of a year’s dues huh? Any idiot could see it would get really hairy once wind shifted. It had to increase regardless of forecast and if anchor came adrift we’d hit rocks in under a minute.
Yes, I should have stayed aboard, yes; I should have got kids off night before. yes, I shouldn’t believe NOAA radio!
But, kids have swam to dock many times in fair weather, safety line with large life ring streamed from stern to about ten feet from dock with swim ladder. Everyone told procedure three times and made to repeat it twice. Who the heck would have thought she’d put shoes on her and the boy??? Much less hold on the safety line getting beat up by the boat?? Panic has no sense I guess I thought she understood what and how we were going to do it. I should have taken youngest and swam in and out with one at a time.
Old 27-10-2011, 11:27   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Note to self ... check seizing everywhere applicable!