Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 14:41   #1
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
NMPG Claims vs Real Life

i have spent the past 4 years shopping boat ad's.
one common recurring theme is if you take a big boat, lets say 45' planning hull, and go slow, aka 4kts, that you will see awesome NMPG numbers.
sometimes i see claims of 2.5NMPG the whole way up to 5-6NMPG.
so i ask the lot of you, if you own a planning diesel powerboat, and you run on one engine what is your speed and GPH?
do you see anything close to 3? 4? or do you get the 1NMPG i assume that they do.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 15:33   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
re: NMPG Claims vs Real Life

I don't know

But you have been boat shopping 4 years, wow

BTW my displacement boat with go 5 nm on .65 gals, thats 7.7 nmph

if I put the sails up I get much better mileage .................
Old 08-05-2013, 15:38   #3
cruiser

yes, i had planned to shop for a year, then my small business fell apart, i started a new line of small business, got married, continue to run my business... and now? well lets say our current goal is by next spring we will be afloat. i am always chasing prospects, making low ball offers. none of my low ball offers have been accepted... yet. i would love to get a displacement yacht, HOWEVER they are more rare when looking at my price range. more then anything i would love a sailboat. not sure if it is going to happen. i have had two come up i wanted to buy, both were sale pending when i found them.

i have heard sailboats get that good of NMPG, most are over the 5' draft i want to stay under, as that is the loop recommended maximum.
Old 08-05-2013, 15:39   #4
cruiser

here is my favorite i missed out on....
1980 Custom Kennedy Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 08-05-2013, 15:58   #5
Marine Service Provider

scoobert....

If efficiency is your goal, drop the word "planing" from your search string.
A 45' displacement trawler will have no difficulty achieving 2-3 NMPG at 6-7 kts.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 16:07   #6
cruiser

i wish i could but then i end up with really expensive boats in my list. also get a ton of trawlers in Washington.?
here is another sailboat? i made an offer on.
54' Steel Hulled sailboat in Sailboats | eBay Motors
he thinks it is worth 25K, only to him is it worth 25K...
Old 08-05-2013, 16:17   #7

Boat: too many

Here is a rough rule of thumb for displacement hulls. If you double the speed, it will take 8 times the hp. If you start with a very efficient hull like the Aspen C90 that is capable of 20 kt on just 150 hp, then 8 kt only requires about 10 hp. Fuel consumption follows work done.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 16:20   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
here is another sailboat? i made an offer on.
For a $300,000 boat when you are done it probably is worth $25,000. Seems actually well built from the pics but then there is the minor problem. It's a HUGE project in time and money. You wasted any cost associated with making an offer.

Boats like this you can use the if you have to ask "What it will take?" you are clearly not qualified to buy it at a zero dollar price. This guy was just late figuring it out.

There really are no easy project boats and most boats you buy cheap will bleed you to death in the wallet. Any older boat in good shape has costs that take about 18 months to find. A marine survey is the insurance to "run away now" and a good survey is a license to hurt yourself financially. Boats are expensive to own - deal with it.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 16:26   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
For a $300,000 boat when you are done it probably is worth $25,000. Seems actually well built from the pics but then there is the minor problem. It's a HUGE project in time and money. You wasted any cost associated with making an offer.

Boats like this you can use the if you have to ask "What it will take?" you are clearly not qualified to buy it at a zero dollar price. This guy was just late figuring it out.

There really are no easy project boats and most boats you buy cheap will bleed you to death in the wallet. Any older boat in good shape has costs that take about 18 months to find. A marine survey is the insurance to "run away now" and a good survey is a license to hurt yourself financially. Boats are expensive to own - deal with it.
my offer went like this:
you have about $5000 in scrap, i will give you $8000.
my original intention was to build my boat, as i researched it further and further i found out slowly that i would have to hire a crew of people to build the hull, and buy a crane. after the hull was built i would be fine.
but with this hull it would need a complete repower, and a few watertight bulkheads, then i could have gone from there. lol powered by an engine he knows nothing about, into a transmission from a car and into a 4wd unit. tick tick boom. the engine is a 6.2L diesel, from a chevy truck. its not the old 350diesel from olds lol.

i am still keeping my eye open for the right unfinished hull.
Old 08-05-2013, 16:26   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
Here is a rough rule of thumb for displacement hulls. If you double the speed, it will take 8 times the hp. If you start with a very efficient hull like the Aspen C90 that is capable of 20 kt on just 150 hp, then 8 kt only requires about 10 hp. Fuel consumption follows work done.
i need room for a family... and i have seen about 2 cats i could afford, and do not want.
Old 08-05-2013, 16:44   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
my original intention was to build my boat, as i researched it further and further i found out slowly that i would have to hire a crew of people to build the hull, and buy a crane. after the hull was built i would be fine.
After the hull was built you would be married twice then screwed after the divorce and then broke!

It's the rest of the project that costs the real money. It was what the last TWO owners figured out too late. Just the stuff you have to buy is all cash with no discounts (really). Ain't no sweat equity using cash plus it still is a huge amount of work. If you just want a structure there are derelict barges you can get and are HUGE and you just pay to tow them place to place. With a large bank roll maybe two to three years to finish this steel hull. It assumes nothing was seriously built wrong and you are experience doing this stuff. Any problems In the hull come back to really bury you.

Not sure what a couple water tight bulkheads will get you. Lose one compartment and she is sunk. It's not big enough for losing one compartment you need them all.
Old 08-05-2013, 16:48   #12
cruiser

my theory on the watertight bulkheads is it would give you time. as for what i have read most people strike objects close to shore, if the bulkhead was sealed and you did such a thing you could presumably beach the boat before it sank.

as for finishing the inside i have woodworking experience, wiring experience, HVAC experience, plumbing experience. basically everything i need to finish the inside with a fair bit of a good look when done. yes, custom boats are nearly worthless when done.
Old 08-05-2013, 17:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
...the engine is a 6.2L diesel, from a chevy truck. its not the old 350diesel from olds lol.
Actually, that turd IS the old 350 olds diesel. You can tell by the intake crossover instead of the spider style intake that the 6.2/6.5L engines had. Also, the exhaust manifolds are siamesed on the center ports, not four separate ones like the 6.2/6.5L engines.

And to combine that with that transmission and transfer case?? Back away slowly, then turn and run.
dannobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 17:11   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The bulkheads in a serious hole won't buy more than literally a few seconds assuming you close them in literally a few seconds. A one foot diameter hole is less than that. A small hole you go to shore and the pumps buy some time after that you abandon ship.

All your skills are Ok for most of the finish work but that is the cheap stuff in any case and you could do a crappy job and not be in trouble and perform well. The materials and equipment you need is the real money. All the sail hardware is probably more than $50K plus the deck hardware depending on if the mast is suitable.

You can't really use shore materials on a boat. Boat wiring may use wire but that is about where your shore experience will end. Many of the other items don't work either so you need specialized materials and they all have special procedures that you could learn with practice. Practice on your own boat does not come cheap either. You need to redo things or suffer later.

You can find a lot of history here on CF from folks that did major refits and information you need to do a lot of things so I wouldn't say you can't but I will say it does cost a lot more money than you think. I also know there are a lot of easy way to do things that don't really work. You'll figure out the easy ways before you figure out the right way.

With an older boat you could refit as you go but with this one it goes no place until you are almost done. Most of the earl stuff is better done on land too.
Old 08-05-2013, 17:49   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannobee View Post
Actually, that turd IS the old 350 olds diesel. You can tell by the intake crossover instead of the spider style intake that the 6.2/6.5L engines had. Also, the exhaust manifolds are siamesed on the center ports, not four separate ones like the 6.2/6.5L engines.

And to combine that with that transmission and transfer case?? Back away slowly, then turn and run.
your right, i didnt inspect the manifolds.
the engine has no value either then. at least a 6.2 sells for like $400.