Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 12:13   #1

Newbie Needing Advice

To start off with I have never sailed other than being on a cruise ship or tourist type boat on a joy ride in the ocean. Myself and my co-worker are about to retire early next year and were planning on learning how to sail, and navigate. We would like to be able to take a boat from Texas sail around the coastline to Florida, on to the keys and out into the caribean to Aruba and back and do a little island hoping, then return. I know this sounds crazy but what I'm asking is where do we start. Any adviise would be appreciated.

1. Where should we get training
2. What type boat should we be looking for on about a 40k budget
3. What length of trip should we plan on
4. how much money does it cost to dock in most of the ports
5. are we totally insane on attempting this, we have about two-three months after we retire we planned on spending on this trip
6. should we rent instead of buying our boat etc..
tjsaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:31   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Newbie needing advise

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:49   #3

Boat: Boatless

Go to your local sailing club and learn to sail...then take a cruising course and learn to sail a cruising boat...and then get some experience.

We are in Aruba on our second circuit of the Caribbean and it is mostly easy sailing but occasionally it requires a little knowledge, skill and experience.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 13:56   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsaye View Post
To start off with I have never sailed other than being on a cruise ship or tourist type boat on a joy ride in the ocean. Myself and my co-worker are about to retire early next year and were planning on learning how to sail, and navigate. We would like to be able to take a boat from Texas sail around the coastline to Florida, on to the keys and out into the caribean to Aruba and back and do a little island hoping, then return. I know this sounds crazy but what I'm asking is where do we start. Any adviise would be appreciated.

1. Where should we get training
2. What type boat should we be looking for on about a 40k budget
3. What length of trip should we plan on
4. how much money does it cost to dock in most of the ports
5. are we totally insane on attempting this, we have about two-three months after we retire we planned on spending on this trip
6. should we rent instead of buying our boat etc..

Where you start is you sail, sail, sail. You sail your brains out every chance you can get on every type of boat you can find. Join a club and tell people you want to crew. Whether you rent or buy you have to know how to sail. Realistically, a charter company will want evidence that you have a clue -- ASA sailing certificates are good for that.

Always be seeking out chances to sail. You have a lot to learn if you're going to go to Aruba safely.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote