Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2020, 07:08   #1

New versus Used

Let me preface by saying I'm 2-3 years away from buying a boat. We are waiting for kids to be closer to college or leaving our house. We charter 1-2 times per year in the interim. I plan to start attending boat shows to see the boats that are new now but will be used when we are ready to buy.

Lurking in the forums, watching some youtube cruisers, and reading some cruising accounts... I am starting to wonder if buying a new boat will be more frustrating to me than a used boat. It doesn't appear to me that the post sale support and warranty coverage justifies the 20-25% premium over a 3 year old boat. I have the impression that the catamaran builders address warranty issues with components by making you jump through hoops with the OEM suppliers rather than making the arrangements for the owners. On a used boat that is out of warranty I would be responsible for the cost but would not have the frustration of being given the run around, or having my plans disrupted to make the boat available where the builder says I have to.

Those of you who have purchased new and used, what advice would you offer?

Thanks
finnegan is offline   Reply With Quote