Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2020, 09:15   #76
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: New Boater - is it normal protocol for a marina to not cover damages from dock ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwizz View Post
If you look at the base of the strut, you will see that it has been pulled clear of the hull and bent. This surely would take some serious tension.
No doubt. But had the strut not been badly corroded, it wouldn't have broken. And let's face it, that's the major part of the repair. In fact, I'm a little surprised that a welder would even take this job. I would not be surprised if the strut fails again down the road somewhere.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:35   #77
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: New Boater - is it normal protocol for a marina to not cover damages from dock ha

I'm pretty sure that if dock hands could be held responsible for docking mishaps there would either be a separate high fee or there would be no dock hands.

Just sayin'.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:42   #78

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
25 years in the hull cleaning biz and I've seen a few broken struts. Every single one was caused by deferred maintenance, just as is the case here. And not only did the OP blame somebody else for the damage that a responsible boat owner would have had the foresight to forestall, but he has gone out of his way to harm the reputation of a small business whose only crime was hiring a kid who unfortunately dropped a line in the water.
I'm I missing something? I believe I see what is left of a bolt for a zinc although it looks awfully near the barrel for the cutless?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:47   #79
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

The bad news is that it is your expense.

The good news is that for $900 you have learned several valuable lessons.

1-whatever happens is the master’s responsibility.

2-account for all dock lines at all times. Old worn lines are harder to see get ones that stand out a little.

3- have a plan and stay with it. For example, if you know you will cast off beam spring. stern, and then doing the bow. You are looking at one location at a time and can more know that the dock lines are on board. Likewise have one for when you arrive.

4-keep your head on a swivel and realize most dock hands have little idea how to run a boat.

Actually learning four lessons for $900 is a good value [emoji16]
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:56   #80
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'm I missing something? I believe I see what is left of a bolt for a zinc although it looks awfully near the barrel for the cutless?
It seems unlikely that there was an anode installed on the strut, as the entirety of the strut is painted. And if one had been installed over the paint, then that is further evidence of poor maintenance practices.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:59   #81
Marine Service Provider

You are always free to file a law suit against anyone you want for any perceived reason. My guess is, given the current state of the utter failure of "the rule of law" (both civil and criminal, ) in our country, it would not be worth the time and cost.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:12   #82

Quote:
It seems unlikely that there was an anode installed on the strut, as the entirety of the strut is painted. And if one had been installed over the paint, then that is further evidence of poor maintenance practices.
I guess that was my question. I see no zinc and thought there should have been one?
Old 01-08-2020, 10:14   #83
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I guess that was my question. I see no zinc and thought there should have been one?
In retrospect it seems that yes, the strut needed cathodic protection.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:40   #84

Quote:
25 years in the hull cleaning biz and I've seen a few broken struts. Every single one was caused by deferred maintenance, just as is the case here. And not only did the OP blame somebody else for the damage that a responsible boat owner would have had the foresight to forestall, but he has gone out of his way to harm the reputation of a small business whose only crime was hiring a kid who unfortunately dropped a line in the water.
To his defense, OP clearly stated he was new to boating, and asked a general opinion whether this was something a marina would normally be liable for. His OP has the ring of question, not statement. I am not surprised a new boater is not aware of dezinc issues. Given he had just traveled 650 nms on the boat, he was logical in his assumption the proximate cause was the line/dock hand. Frankly, there were probably a dozen posts before someone spotted the pink bronze in the picture so it wasn't totally obvious

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:02   #85
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
To his defense...
And after being shown the error of his ways, the OP decided to call daddy's lawyer to explore the possibility of litigating over a $900 repair bill. Failing that, he spent several posts telling anybody who would listen to boycott the marina in question. Defend him all you like. I will not.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:27   #86

Quote:
And after being shown the error of his ways, the OP decided to call daddy's lawyer to explore the possibility of litigating over a $900 repair bill. Failing that, he spent several posts telling anybody who would listen to boycott the marina in question. Defend him all you like. I will not.
Give him a break, he said new boater, maybe he learned something. I think I'd be happy with a $900 tab even with me doing the labor. I would give you dollars to donuts the shaft has been bent.
Old 01-08-2020, 16:13   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
Maybe the surveyors here will correct me, but brass is typically 40% zinc and will spontaneously dezincify in salt water. Bronze is a copper/tin alloy, does not have zinc and will not. Bronze is however subject to both electrolysis (usually slow) and stray current corrosion (can be alarmingly fast.) All three give a pink color.

Not exactly right. "Bronze" is not a precisely defined term, and the best kind of "bronze" used in yacht underwater fittings is actually also called "C83600 Leaded Red Brass", otherwise called "85-5-5-5 Bronze" or "Leaded Gunmetal", and is 85% copper, 5% tin, 5% zinc, and 5% lead. The presence of the tin and lead prevents or greatly increases resistance to dezincification.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 18:21   #88

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Just to add to the confusion, there has been damage to boats at my marina, by employees, and the marina always either made it right or had our insurance pay to make it right. These were just unintentional errors, not deliberate acts.

I fail to see any harm in mentioning it, in a non-threatening way, to the marina management and asking if they'd be willing to help you out.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 18:46   #89

Boat: Volkscruiser

I think it has gone beyond that now Captain Tom, I imagine once the lawyer made contact any good will just have vanished. Now that marina manager is probably is getting hassled by the marina owners as well.
I think if he had sucked it up and done the repair he might have been found a discount on his slipping bill. I have seen similar issues resolved like that before and everyone is happy.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 19:26   #90

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Not exactly right. "Bronze" is not a precisely defined term, and the best kind of "bronze" used in yacht underwater fittings is actually also called "C83600 Leaded Red Brass", otherwise called "85-5-5-5 Bronze" or "Leaded Gunmetal", and is 85% copper, 5% tin, 5% zinc, and 5% lead. The presence of the tin and lead prevents or greatly increases resistance to dezincification.

I should have used the more correct terms dissimilar metal corrosion or galvanic corrosion.

I thought that leaded red brass was mostly used for pipe and plumbing fittings. Did not know it was common in structural castings. I thought silicon bronze was preferred due its greater strength in structural pieces. A quick search showed that some manufacturers are not open about which alloy they are using. C65500 silicon bronze actually is a non-tin containing copper alloy. I think it is almost universal for underwater copper based fasteners.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, dock, new boat, rot