Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 10:35   #1

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25
Needed: Boat Inspector

Hello All:

I've been a member for a few years but have been inactive for quite a while; been busy getting set up to buy a boat and a place to park it. So now we're ready to buy a boat and have found one we like. But being novice boat owners, we'd like the opinion on the boat's condition of a seasoned sailor.

Would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations on someone who can provide this (paid) service on Long Island, NY.

Best,
Old 12-07-2016, 13:06   #2

Boat: Krogen 42
Re: Needed: Boat Inspector

What size and type?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 12-07-2016, 13:17   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

A Google search of "Boat Surveyor" should give you more information than you can read. BoatUS has a good one-page write-up about the process and the two main US certifying organizations (SAMS and NAMS) at the following link: https://www.boatus.com/insurance/survey.asp

I've recently bought a used boat, and highly recommend a survey once you get down the final boat. I made sure that the surveyor I hired (which came recommended by several in the local sailing community) allowed me to be present for the entire (4 hour!) process. I learned quite a bit about my new boat, the locations of all important systems, maintenance hints, etc. -- I took pages of notes. In the end, I was much more confident with the price I paid, there are no hidden flaws, and the safety of my family on this vessel.

The price was about $600 - 700, so you don't want to hire someone until you get past "keel kicking" and decide on a final purchase. Most owners also want some earnest money before they submit to such a detailed inspection.
John_Trusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 13:23   #4

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25

Meridian28, we're looking at a Watkins 25 with a shoal draft in very good shape. We want a boat small enough for me to learn on (My husband sails) that is a nice day sailer or suited for short hops.

Thanks, John_Trusty! The price range you quoted is about what we were expecting.
Old 20-07-2016, 15:17   #5

Boat: Bristol 31.1

Thanks for that link, John Trusty. RedFeather, you may have already looked at it, but using the link I found this website for a surveyor in Northport. He has impressive credentials and the site is very informative.

QBC Marine Surveys, David McClay, SAMS® AMS®, Northport, New York, USA - Frames Page
eastendsailor is offline   Reply With Quote