Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2021, 09:04   #16

Re: Need to abandon crew

I forgot to add that when you removed them from your crew list you would need to ensure you get your amended crew list stamped by immigration and if you have to pay any money make sure you get a receipt.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 09:37   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVSOLITAIRE View Post
I’m not certain if this is still a thing, but most major airlines have up to half off discounts for crew returning home. Repatriation of Mariners discount.
I don't believe that is still the case, but I believe you may be able to get a discount if you book through a travel agent specializing in marine crew transport.

Here is one: https://marinertvl.com/marine-offshore/
You might also want to check out https://www.imtg.net/

I've not used them, so can't vouch if they're good or not, but certainly may be worth a phone call.
aisleorwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 10:51   #18

Boat: Alerion Express 28

When we made a crew change in Tahiti we visited the gendarme with our papers. The crew member transferred to another boat and I think it had to add him to the crew list. Each country will be different so act accordingly.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 11:37   #19

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

The mechanism is the same everywhere. When you check into a country you bring your crew list from the port of departure along with the passports. The passports are stamped, often with a special indication that they are crew, and the harbormaster keeps a copy of the crew list. Everyone aboard is the responsibility of the captain during the stay, and it is the captain's responsibility to either take them when they leave or get them removed from the crew list first. Removal from the crew list usually means going to the harbormaster/port captain with the ongoing airline ticket (and passport to be marked) and getting the crew removed from the crew list. Sometimes they will accept a ticket to a nearby destination if they are confident that money will not be a problem, but otherwise a ticket home will be required. As one port captain explained to me, they don't dump their problems on their neighbors. When it comes time to leave the departing crew list must match the incoming crew list, less amendments made during the stay. If a crew leaves before the captain can get him removed from the crew list, the captain will be in deep stuff. There is also a good chance that the crew won't make it through the airport because their passport is still marked with a crew stamp. And of course the next harbor will want to see all of the passports to match the crew list so leaving without modifying the crew list for a departed crew will get the boat turned back or investigated. Particularly in the Caribbean they have been doing this for awhile and the system is pretty tight. And they have no patience with spoiled yachties trying to circumvent the rules - so don't do it.

As a practical matter you want your crew to come aboard with their return ticket, unless you are paying for transportation. Unfortunately that may not work if they are planning on getting aboard a different boat or travel on their own. When it comes time to leave the captain is ultimately responsible for that ticket. This works both ways. If you want them to leave, or if they decide to leave, that ticket is owed. And if a crew leaves a boat and goes to the harbormaster, not only will the ticket be needed but food and board as well, until the flight, unless they are willing to stay aboard. And this is not the only liability: any money owed by crew (damage, unpaid bills, fines) are the ultimate responsibility of the captain. Also, all crew medical expenses are the responsibility of the captain. And if the crew gets caught with drugs the skipper risks freedom and boat. Think twice before taking on crew; learn to single-hand.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 12:04   #20

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

We had one crew who decided to leave from Cabo by air right after we had checked into Mexico from US. I wanted us both to go to Port Captain and get the crew list officially modified. I insisted, knowing the law. He refused, I don't know why, just being obstinate for some reason, as the office was only a block away but perhaps the office was closed for the day.

Big argument, hurt feelings on both sides, etc. He ended up leaving to the airport as I could not physically stop him. I presented a new crew list minus his name to the Port Captain when we left Cabo, it was stamped with no questions, no check against the arriving crew list on file. If Port Captain had asked, I suppose we could have contacted Immigration at the airport for confirmation of his exit from Mexico.

If had just been lying to me about having bought an airline ticket home and instead stayed in Mexico after leaving the boat, I could have been in real trouble if the Port Captain had been more diligent.
Old 29-07-2021, 12:11   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
In most cases (depending on the countries involved), you still need to get a departure stamp in your passport. If they want to risk having to deal with the wrong side of officials in a foreign land, that's on them.

I believe you don't need to make sure the person leaves the country but you need to prove they have a date and method of leaving (i.e. an airline ticket). This should allow you to clear out without them on the crew list.
It is my understanding that this is why some captains request that you surrender your passport once onboard. You can't really leave without it either. This way you don't leave the boat in a difficult spot if you bail on them as well.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 15:51   #22

Boat: Roberts 42' Spray Pilot House Ketch (Steely)

Not sure of the legalities, but why not the Captain take all crew passports for safekeeping, he/she could hang onto them when checking in/out. If a crew member wishes to leave voluntary or not then the Captain can hand back the passport once they are in front of the respective authority.
Bundyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 16:03   #23

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Yes, take both the passport and the return air ticket if you can. I made the mistake of trusting a crew to cough up the money when the time came and he refused when it happened so I bought the ticket to get rid of him. It's a jungle out there...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 16:19   #24

Boat: C-26

I'm fortunate that I never had issues with a mutiny on any delivery to the Caribbean or Med. I only hired crew that I knew and had sailed with me prior. At the end of the delivery, I provided a return flight back to point of origin. There were times of conflict because of personality clashes but we always worked them out.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 16:41   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

There is a problem with the Capt. keeping all the passports (although he may be the only one who can clear the crew in). The problem happens when the Capt. refuses to surrender the passport at the end of the agreed upon journey. In the instance I'm remembering, he kept the woman a prisoner on board. Eventually, she swam ashore and went to the gendarmerie , and they were able to help her.

Stone Crab, <monte> published a crew agreement here on CF [use the CF Custom Google Search under the Search button]. It protected both skippers and crew.

We have met crew desperate to leave boats due to various forms of abuse, and formed the opinion that crewing is even riskier than being a skipper.

Ann
Old 29-07-2021, 16:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Stone Crab, <monte> published a crew agreement here on CF [use the CF Custom Google Search under the Search button]. It protected both skippers and crew.

Agreements are only worth the paper they are written on if they are enforceable. I've wondered how enforceable these things would be as you aren't really sure where you will be when a given party has an issue.

Dealing with civil matters in foreign land could turn into a nightmare and they take time... lots and lots of time.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 16:56   #27

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

I agree Ann.
Was it your skipper that had you posing nude on the bow during that famous race in the Whitsundays?
Abuse or fun or ???
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 17:10   #28

Boat: Grampian 26

[emoji116][emoji3590]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
There is a problem with the Capt. keeping all the passports (although he may be the only one who can clear the crew in). The problem happens when the Capt. refuses to surrender the passport at the end of the agreed upon journey. In the instance I'm remembering, he kept the woman a prisoner on board. Eventually, she swam ashore and went to the gendarmerie , and they were able to help her.

Stone Crab, &lt;monte&gt; published a crew agreement here on CF [use the CF Custom Google Search under the Search button]. It protected both skippers and crew.

We have met crew desperate to leave boats due to various forms of abuse, and formed the opinion that crewing is even riskier than being a skipper.

Ann
Nauticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 17:31   #29

Boat: Morgan 382

It varies by country, and you need to check before you set sail.

I kicked off a crew member in Fiji. Caught him involved with illegal drugs with some locals. Had he not paid for his return ticket, I assume I would have needed to. But, when we went to immigration to remove him from my crew list, he argued and fought with the immigration officer, and that didn't earn him any points. She made him call his mom and have her buy him a ticket.

I also had crew bail and fly out of Indonesia because I was going too slow for them waiting for good weather. They left without notice or meeting with any officials first. They just left, sent me a text they were at the airport. I had no issues checking out, having simply crossed them off my crew list myself.
Old 29-07-2021, 17:33   #30

Or see the thread about death at sea ��
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew