Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2011, 09:55   #1

Need Help from a Chief Engineer

My name is Joshua Colburn. I am working for support the troops in tamPa fl. We have aquired the NOAA vessel pierce. We have tons of questions for a chief engineer. We have several problems pertaining to the engine room including do transfer and several other questions about the tank configuration. If you have the time to help please email me at jc21ky*at*yahoo*dot*com We are trying to make this vessel sea worthy for an operation to raise money for our troops. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Joshmm2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 06:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Need Help from Chief Engineer

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Joshua.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 08:58   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Need Help from Chief Engineer

Best of luck with your venture, hope you have managed to find the drawings and various pipe line diagrams for the vessel
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 19:48   #4

Re: Need Help from a Chief Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshmm2ss View Post
My name is Joshua Colburn. I am working for support the troops in tamPa fl. We have aquired the NOAA vessel pierce. We have tons of questions for a chief engineer. We have several problems pertaining to the engine room including do transfer and several other questions about the tank configuration. If you have the time to help please email me at jc21ky*at*yahoo*dot*com We are trying to make this vessel sea worthy for an operation to raise money for our troops. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Smithsonion may be able to help you. They have many sections dealing with aircraft, ships, etc. In 1995 I needed a set of drawings for a DR1 aircraft of WW1. They sent be a complets set of working drawings (in German) for $5.00.
If they don't have what you need, they can direct you.
Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 19:44   #5

Boat: departure 35

No disrespect to Chief engineers out there but they give orders, In the hole it's the Machinist mates like me that make it go and keep her sparkling. I was an MM1 and served on 5 old ones with steam plants. If you have any specific questions ask away. If I don't know I can probably point you to people that do. If this was a ship that was mothballed then you are going to have to go to the navy or the shipyard that had her last for drawings. If the operational manuals are gone then they are gone. Those were written on the deckplates. There should be Something left in engineering but who knows after one is mothballed. My first two ships are museums now and the enginerooms were pretty much gutted of anything valuable while they were just parked awaiting their fate.
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 20:39   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

It takes a bit of detective work, time, good lighting and a knack with making drawings. I have found that the small digital cameras are invaluable for being your "eyeballs".

It is dirty work at times....a hardhat would be helpful...if you are not used to crawling around a boat. Steel toed shoes would be a plus....if you are lifting up deck plates

On one tug, I was able to dig up some phone numbers of former crew members who were happy to help out.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engineer