Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2014, 09:37   #1

Need advice crab pots marathon to west coast florida

We will be taking our 70 ft Hatteras (6 ft draft) from Marathon to New Orleans and would like to know if we can go under 7 mile bridge to West Coast of Florida and up Florida west coast without 100 miles of solid crab pots. Crossing will begin late February. We will be doing the Gulf Crossing from Clearwater Beach to Dog Island. Would also like to know if anyone has knowledge of crew willing to do just the 140 mile crossing. Thank you, Joie de Vie
aoconnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 10:10   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Need advice crab pots marathon to west coast florida

I've gone the other way, and the crab pots will disappear by 30 miles out of Clearwater. Just do that part in the daytime and you should be fine. Its more important to get the weather right, as that stretch can be pretty lumpy at times during the winter.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 12:25   #3

Thanks for your input. Actually we will be going from Marathon to Marco Island and then jump up from there. Crabpots have been awful in Marathon in prior years but dont know how far north they extend toward Marco Island. Impossible not to run over them and we fear prop damage if hit one.
aoconnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 13:21   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoconnel View Post
We will be taking our 70 ft Hatteras (6 ft draft) from Marathon to New Orleans and would like to know if we can go under 7 mile bridge to West Coast of Florida and up Florida west coast without 100 miles of solid crab pots. Crossing will begin late February. We will be doing the Gulf Crossing from Clearwater Beach to Dog Island. Would also like to know if anyone has knowledge of crew willing to do just the 140 mile crossing. Thank you, Joie de Vie
Howdy!

I wish I could join you on that trip, as since I was a kid I always wanted to go on a big Hatteras for a cruise in Florida waters. Maybe someday in the future.

You may have not seen it yet, but there was a thread here discussing prop rope cutters and several people mentioned their experiences getting tangled with crab pots (Florida and elsewhere).

In that thread I posted a link to some video (found on youtube) that shows different ropes and materials caught by a prop, and the relative effectiveness of different types (brands) of prop rope cutters (e.g. "Spurs" is one) and how they work.

Here is a link to the thread on this forum.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tter-5968.html

Have a nice trip!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 14:12   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I did that last spring from Marathon straight to Panama city, and there were a bunch of pots, I ran over many after it got dark, I'd see them pop up in my wake every now and again.
I wouldn't go under the bridge from Marathon if I were you, or at least make sure it's high tide drawing 6'. I draw 5 and was nervous.
If you "bump" do your props hit first?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 14:25   #6

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

I've done that run several times. I draw 6'6", and have no problem going under the 7 mile bridge. The crab pots will be thick till you get to Marco Island. If you run in the daytime with a good lookout for the pots, you should be able to miss them.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 14:49   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Some MY's can do serious damage if they touch, my sportfish was that way, why I asked. If his is that way, may not be worth the risk.
Old 27-12-2014, 15:23   #8

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

Its plenty deep even at low tide for 6 foot draft.....I'm talking under the bridge. There are shoal area's outside the channel markers.
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 15:54   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Need advice crab pots marathon to west coast florida

I'm talking way north of the bridge out in open water, I ran for what seemed like miles in occasionally 6' of water, and the chart showed 6' too. Probably wasn't that far, just felt like it.
With my old Sportfishing boat, first thing to touch was the props, if you touched enough to feel it, you bent the shafts at least I was told, I never bumped.

All I can say, is look at the charts, of course all it takes is one storm
Old 27-12-2014, 17:49   #10

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_77903 View Post
I've done that run several times. I draw 6'6", and have no problem going under the 7 mile bridge. The crab pots will be thick till you get to Marco Island. If you run in the daytime with a good lookout for the pots, you should be able to miss them.
Hey Bob:

What's your mast height with instruments? We're heading that way, and wondering if we can get through at the 7 mile bridge....we're at 65 plus instruments...

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 18:32   #11

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
Hey Bob:

What's your mast height with instruments? We're heading that way, and wondering if we can get through at the 7 mile bridge....we're at 65 plus instruments...

gunk
I'm at 65' plus instruments. I go under 7 mile at no more than +0.5 foot tide on the Pidgeon Key south tide station (from noaa website - I always use the same reference). My 3' stainless whip bends in half, but everything else is fine. I have an 18" rubber ducky am/fm that never touches. The paddle boards at the base of the bridge are off (IMO) by about a foot. Make sure they read at least 66.5'.

YMMV
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 18:35   #12

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoconnel View Post
It'll be solid crab pots from 7 mile bridge to Romano Shoals light. Less around Marco and north.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2014, 19:10   #13

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

I may be wrong but I think we have Stone Crab and Lobster season until late March or early April so there'll be plenty of traps/pots to deal with. After all, our state professes to be "The Fishing & Boating Capital of the World"....

Life is good if you Keepa Smilin....

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 02:20   #14

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I'm at 65' plus instruments. I go under 7 mile at no more than +0.5 foot tide on the Pidgeon Key south tide station (from noaa website - I always use the same reference). My 3' stainless whip bends in half, but everything else is fine. I have an 18" rubber ducky am/fm that never touches. The paddle boards at the base of the bridge are off (IMO) by about a foot. Make sure they read at least 66.5'.

YMMV

Thanks DD...sounds like a nail biter.....that's tight!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 05:02   #15

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

If possible run Moser Channel/7 mile Bridge at Low tide to add a little more clearance.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, west coast