Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2020, 11:54   #1

Boat: Radford R415
Moving boat out of Canada to US

Hello, my sailboat is on the hard in a marina in Vancouver, BC. I need it transported across the border to Blaine or some nearby shipyard in Northwest Washington state. I have started making inquires with moving services but would appreciate any feedback with others who many have used these types of services in the past, or can recommend a reputable company. I was denied entry into Canada and have no choice but to move it or sell it and I'm not willing to give up on sailing. Thanks!
Johnknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 13:43   #2

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Moving boat out of Canada to US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnknutson View Post
Hello, my sailboat is on the hard in a marina in Vancouver, BC. I need it transported across the border to Blaine or some nearby shipyard in Northwest Washington state. I have started making inquires with moving services but would appreciate any feedback with others who many have used these types of services in the past, or can recommend a reputable company. I was denied entry into Canada and have no choice but to move it or sell it and I'm not willing to give up on sailing. Thanks!
Maybe talk to a BC broker (or one of the charter co's)? I had my boat delivered from Vancouver to Point Roberts when I took possession. One guy just brought it down... it was $200-ish iirc. Of course now you might have to pay for the 2 weeks quarantine the delivery guy will face when he gets back to Canada.
Old 11-08-2020, 14:53   #3

I believe those crossing the border for "work" reasons are exempt from this requirement. I know truckers do not have to quarantine once back in Canada from driving their truck in the US.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 15:12   #4

Boat: 32’ Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnknutson View Post
Schedule a consult

https://www.lasikmd.com/clinics/vancouver

Get email and print confirmation

You are traveling for medical reasons

https://ca.usembassy.gov/travel-restrictions-fact-sheet/

Read a eye chart, pick up your boat, return to your home country.
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 15:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
Schedule a consult

https://www.lasikmd.com/clinics/vancouver

Get email and print confirmation

You are traveling for medical reasons

https://ca.usembassy.gov/travel-rest...ns-fact-sheet/

Read a eye chart, pick up your boat, return to your home country.
What is it with people who keep trying to cheat the system? And you wonder why people like the OP got denied entry in the first place...
Old 11-08-2020, 15:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
What is it with people who keep trying to cheat the system? And you wonder why people like the OP got denied entry in the first place...
When the “system” doesn’t take itself seriously, you can’t expect anyone else to.

Truck drivers can go all over the place, no “quarantine” and no one cares?

What I told him meets the rules these people made, not my fault that their own rules don’t make sense
Old 11-08-2020, 15:33   #7

Boat: Hunter 356

Quote:
... I had my boat delivered from Vancouver to Point Roberts when I took possession...

There was an item on the news recently of a US couple who had bought a house in Pt. Roberts, and could not get into Canada in order to take up residence in their new home, because the land border is closed. (Point Roberts is a small peninsula attached to BC).
Old 11-08-2020, 15:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterling View Post
There was an item on the news recently of a US couple who had bought a house in Pt. Roberts, and could not get into Canada in order to take up residence in their new home, because the land border is closed. (Point Roberts is a small peninsula attached to BC).
Ya but a Canadian should be able to get into Blaine (just across the bay), deliver the boat and then cross back and then put up with the quarantine. At least that is my reading of the situation.
Old 11-08-2020, 15:46   #9

Quote:
What I told him meets the rules these people made, not my fault that their own rules don’t make sense
Nope. You have to read the rules of the country you are entering. Cross the border: spend 14 days in quarantine.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...s-eng.html#er1
Old 11-08-2020, 15:55   #10

Boat: Hunter 356

Quote:
Nope. You have to read the rules of the country you are entering. Cross the border: spend 14 days in quarantine.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...s-eng.html#er1
Actually he was right. Truck drivers are considered exempt.

Essential transportation workers are defined as workers supporting or enabling transportation functions in any transportation mode (i.e. road, air, rail, marine), in support of the continued essential movement of goods and people, in circumstances where non-essential travel is restricted. For greater clarity, this includes but is not limited to:
  • Truck transportation employees, including drivers, dispatchers, maintenance and repair technicians, warehouse workers, truck stop and commercial vehicle inspection station workers, rest area workers, and workers that maintain and inspect critical infrastructure (including those that require cross-border travel)
Source: https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/n...sf-sfe-en.aspx
Old 11-08-2020, 16:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterling View Post
Actually he was right. Truck drivers are considered exempt.

Essential transportation workers are defined as workers supporting or enabling transportation functions in any transportation mode (i.e. road, air, rail, marine), in support of the continued essential movement of goods and people, in circumstances where non-essential travel is restricted. For greater clarity, this includes but is not limited to:
  • Truck transportation employees, including drivers, dispatchers, maintenance and repair technicians, warehouse workers, truck stop and commercial vehicle inspection station workers, rest area workers, and workers that maintain and inspect critical infrastructure (including those that require cross-border travel)
Source: https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/n...sf-sfe-en.aspx

Wasn't arguing that. But laser eye surgery isn't going to get you across the border without a quarantine plan.
Old 11-08-2020, 18:22   #12

Quote:
Wasn't arguing that. But laser eye surgery isn't going to get you across the border without a quarantine plan.
So “quarantine” on his boat

It’s government, it’s just box checking, the even provide the list of boxes.

Find something on the link I posted and go with that, frankly getting a lasik eye exam meets their requirement and who knows, maybe you’ll want to get a eye job too.

“ Citizens and lawful permanent residents returning to the United States.
Individuals traveling for medical purposes (e.g., to receive medical treatment in the United States).
Individuals traveling to attend educational institutions.
Individuals traveling to work in the United States (e.g., individuals working in the agriculture industry who must travel between the United States and Canada or Mexico in furtherance of such work).
Individuals traveling for emergency response and public health purposes (e.g., government officials or emergency responders entering the United States to support federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial government efforts to respond to COVID-19 or other emergencies).
Individuals engaged in lawful cross-border trade (e.g., truck drivers supporting the movement of cargo between the United States and Canada and Mexico).
Individuals engaged in official government travel or diplomatic travel.
Individuals engaged in military-related travel or operations.”
Old 11-08-2020, 20:18   #13

Quote:
Maybe talk to a BC broker (or one of the charter co's)? I had my boat delivered from Vancouver to Point Roberts when I took possession. One guy just brought it down... it was $200-ish iirc. Of course now you might have to pay for the 2 weeks quarantine the delivery guy will face when he gets back to Canada.
I started with contacting a boat moving service, but havne't heard back yet. Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-08-2020, 20:22   #14

Quote:
So “quarantine” on his boat

It’s government, it’s just box checking, the even provide the list of boxes.

Find something on the link I posted and go with that, frankly getting a lasik eye exam meets their requirement and who knows, maybe you’ll want to get a eye job too.

“ Citizens and lawful permanent residents returning to the United States.
Individuals traveling for medical purposes (e.g., to receive medical treatment in the United States).
Individuals traveling to attend educational institutions.
Individuals traveling to work in the United States (e.g., individuals working in the agriculture industry who must travel between the United States and Canada or Mexico in furtherance of such work).
Individuals traveling for emergency response and public health purposes (e.g., government officials or emergency responders entering the United States to support federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial government efforts to respond to COVID-19 or other emergencies).
Individuals engaged in lawful cross-border trade (e.g., truck drivers supporting the movement of cargo between the United States and Canada and Mexico).
Individuals engaged in official government travel or diplomatic travel.
Individuals engaged in military-related travel or operations.”
We asked to quaranteen on my boat but was refused. I was told if I had enough money to own a sailboat I could afford to wait it out in Alaska. No exaggeration!
Old 11-08-2020, 22:23   #15

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Solution. Put the boat on a trailer have it hauled a few miles over the boarder.??

Tags
boat, Canada