Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2020, 11:54   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Wasilla, AK
Boat: Radford R415
Posts: 69
Moving boat out of Canada to US

Hello, my sailboat is on the hard in a marina in Vancouver, BC. I need it transported across the border to Blaine or some nearby shipyard in Northwest Washington state. I have started making inquires with moving services but would appreciate any feedback with others who many have used these types of services in the past, or can recommend a reputable company. I was denied entry into Canada and have no choice but to move it or sell it and I'm not willing to give up on sailing. Thanks!
Johnknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 13:43   #2
Registered User
 
Macblaze's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Edmonton/PNW
Boat: Hunter 386
Posts: 1,173
Re: Moving boat out of Canada to US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnknutson View Post
Hello, my sailboat is on the hard in a marina in Vancouver, BC. I need it transported across the border to Blaine or some nearby shipyard in Northwest Washington state. I have started making inquires with moving services but would appreciate any feedback with others who many have used these types of services in the past, or can recommend a reputable company. I was denied entry into Canada and have no choice but to move it or sell it and I'm not willing to give up on sailing. Thanks!
Maybe talk to a BC broker (or one of the charter co's)? I had my boat delivered from Vancouver to Point Roberts when I took possession. One guy just brought it down... it was $200-ish iirc. Of course now you might have to pay for the 2 weeks quarantine the delivery guy will face when he gets back to Canada.
__________________
---
Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
Macblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 14:53   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 396
Re: Moving boat out of Canada to US

I believe those crossing the border for "work" reasons are exempt from this requirement. I know truckers do not have to quarantine once back in Canada from driving their truck in the US.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 15:12   #4
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Depends on the month
Boat: 32’ Sloop
Posts: 266
Re: Moving boat out of Canada to US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnknutson View Post
Hello, my sailboat is on the hard in a marina in Vancouver, BC. I need it transported across the border to Blaine or some nearby shipyard in Northwest Washington state. I have started making inquires with moving services but would appreciate any feedback with others who many have used these types of services in the past, or can recommend a reputable company. I was denied entry into Canada and have no choice but to move it or sell it and I'm not willing to give up on sailing. Thanks!
Schedule a consult

https://www.lasikmd.com/clinics/vancouver

Get email and print confirmation

You are traveling for medical reasons

https://ca.usembassy.gov/travel-restrictions-fact-sheet/

Read a eye chart, pick up your boat, return to your home country.
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 15:16   #5
Registered User
 
Macblaze's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Edmonton/PNW
Boat: Hunter 386
Posts: 1,173
Re: Moving boat out of Canada to US

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
Schedule a consult

https://www.lasikmd.com/clinics/vancouver

Get email and print confirmation

You are traveling for medical reasons

https://ca.usembassy.gov/travel-rest...ns-fact-sheet/

Read a eye chart, pick up your boat, return to your home country.
What is it with people who keep trying to cheat the system? And you wonder why people like the OP got denied entry in the first place...
__________________
---
Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
Macblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 15:26   #6
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Depends on the month
Boat: 32’ Sloop
Posts: 266
Re: Moving boat out of Canada to US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
What is it with people who keep trying to cheat the system? And you wonder why people like the OP got denied entry in the first place...
When the “system” doesn’t take itself seriously, you can’t expect anyone else to.

Truck drivers can go all over the place, no “quarantine” and no one cares?

What I told him meets the rules these people made, not my fault that their own rules don’t make sense
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 15:33   #7
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Port Moody, BC
Boat: Hunter 356
Posts: 103
Re: Moving boat out of Canada to US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
... I had my boat delivered from Vancouver to Point Roberts when I took possession...

There was an item on the news recently of a US couple who had bought a house in Pt. Roberts, and could not get into Canada in order to take up residence in their new home, because the land border is closed. (Point Roberts is a small peninsula attached to BC).
__________________
If it sounds dumb in your head, it sounds even dumber out loud!
Scatterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 15:36   #8
Registered User
 
Macblaze's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Edmonton/PNW
Boat: Hunter 386
Posts: 1,173
Re: Moving boat out of Canada to US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterling View Post
There was an item on the news recently of a US couple who had bought a house in Pt. Roberts, and could not get into Canada in order to take up residence in their new home, because the land border is closed. (Point Roberts is a small peninsula attached to BC).
Ya but a Canadian should be able to get into Blaine (just across the bay), deliver the boat and then cross back and then put up with the quarantine. At least that is my reading of the situation.
__________________
---
Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
Macblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 15:46   #9
Registered User
 
Macblaze's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Edmonton/PNW
Boat: Hunter 386
Posts: 1,173
Re: Moving boat out of Canada to US

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
What I told him meets the rules these people made, not my fault that their own rules don’t make sense
Nope. You have to read the rules of the country you are entering. Cross the border: spend 14 days in quarantine.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...s-eng.html#er1
__________________
---
Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
Macblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 15:55   #10
Registered User

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Port Moody, BC
Boat: Hunter 356
Posts: 103
Re: Moving boat out of Canada to US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Nope. You have to read the rules of the country you are entering. Cross the border: spend 14 days in quarantine.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services...s-eng.html#er1
Actually he was right. Truck drivers are considered exempt.


Essential transportation workers are defined as workers supporting or enabling transportation functions in any transportation mode (i.e. road, air, rail, marine), in support of the continued essential movement of goods and people, in circumstances where non-essential travel is restricted. For greater clarity, this includes but is not limited to:
  • Truck transportation employees, including drivers, dispatchers, maintenance and repair technicians, warehouse workers, truck stop and commercial vehicle inspection station workers, rest area workers, and workers that maintain and inspect critical infrastructure (including those that require cross-border travel)
Source: https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/n...sf-sfe-en.aspx
__________________
If it sounds dumb in your head, it sounds even dumber out loud!
Scatterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 16:20   #11
Registered User
 
Macblaze's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Edmonton/PNW
Boat: Hunter 386
Posts: 1,173
Re: Moving boat out of Canada to US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterling View Post
Actually he was right. Truck drivers are considered exempt.


Essential transportation workers are defined as workers supporting or enabling transportation functions in any transportation mode (i.e. road, air, rail, marine), in support of the continued essential movement of goods and people, in circumstances where non-essential travel is restricted. For greater clarity, this includes but is not limited to:
  • Truck transportation employees, including drivers, dispatchers, maintenance and repair technicians, warehouse workers, truck stop and commercial vehicle inspection station workers, rest area workers, and workers that maintain and inspect critical infrastructure (including those that require cross-border travel)
Source: https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/n...sf-sfe-en.aspx

Wasn't arguing that. But laser eye surgery isn't going to get you across the border without a quarantine plan.
__________________
---
Gaudeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus...
Macblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 18:22   #12
cruiser

Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Depends on the month
Boat: 32’ Sloop
Posts: 266
Re: Moving boat out of Canada to US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Wasn't arguing that. But laser eye surgery isn't going to get you across the border without a quarantine plan.
So “quarantine” on his boat


It’s government, it’s just box checking, the even provide the list of boxes.

Find something on the link I posted and go with that, frankly getting a lasik eye exam meets their requirement and who knows, maybe you’ll want to get a eye job too.

“ Citizens and lawful permanent residents returning to the United States.
Individuals traveling for medical purposes (e.g., to receive medical treatment in the United States).
Individuals traveling to attend educational institutions.
Individuals traveling to work in the United States (e.g., individuals working in the agriculture industry who must travel between the United States and Canada or Mexico in furtherance of such work).
Individuals traveling for emergency response and public health purposes (e.g., government officials or emergency responders entering the United States to support federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial government efforts to respond to COVID-19 or other emergencies).
Individuals engaged in lawful cross-border trade (e.g., truck drivers supporting the movement of cargo between the United States and Canada and Mexico).
Individuals engaged in official government travel or diplomatic travel.
Individuals engaged in military-related travel or operations.”
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 20:18   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Wasilla, AK
Boat: Radford R415
Posts: 69
Re: Moving boat out of Canada to US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Maybe talk to a BC broker (or one of the charter co's)? I had my boat delivered from Vancouver to Point Roberts when I took possession. One guy just brought it down... it was $200-ish iirc. Of course now you might have to pay for the 2 weeks quarantine the delivery guy will face when he gets back to Canada.
I started with contacting a boat moving service, but havne't heard back yet. Thanks for your reply.
Johnknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 20:22   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Wasilla, AK
Boat: Radford R415
Posts: 69
Re: Moving boat out of Canada to US

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
So “quarantine” on his boat


It’s government, it’s just box checking, the even provide the list of boxes.

Find something on the link I posted and go with that, frankly getting a lasik eye exam meets their requirement and who knows, maybe you’ll want to get a eye job too.

“ Citizens and lawful permanent residents returning to the United States.
Individuals traveling for medical purposes (e.g., to receive medical treatment in the United States).
Individuals traveling to attend educational institutions.
Individuals traveling to work in the United States (e.g., individuals working in the agriculture industry who must travel between the United States and Canada or Mexico in furtherance of such work).
Individuals traveling for emergency response and public health purposes (e.g., government officials or emergency responders entering the United States to support federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial government efforts to respond to COVID-19 or other emergencies).
Individuals engaged in lawful cross-border trade (e.g., truck drivers supporting the movement of cargo between the United States and Canada and Mexico).
Individuals engaged in official government travel or diplomatic travel.
Individuals engaged in military-related travel or operations.”
We asked to quaranteen on my boat but was refused. I was told if I had enough money to own a sailboat I could afford to wait it out in Alaska. No exaggeration!
Johnknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 22:23   #15
Registered User
 
AKA-None's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Lake City MN
Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Posts: 1,058
Re: Moving boat out of Canada to US

Solution. Put the boat on a trailer have it hauled a few miles over the boarder.??
__________________
Special knowledge can be a terrible disadvantage if it leads you too far along a path that you cannot explain anymore.
Frank Herbert 'Dune'
AKA-None is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boat, Canada

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want To Buy: Navionics Compact Flash (CF) - Canada & Alaska or Canada & USA KrazySailing General Classifieds (no boats) 0 30-07-2020 17:40
Hi from Chateauguay Quebec, Canada (still in Canada !!) bfranchini Meets & Greets 1 04-12-2014 23:40
Moving A Boat and Moving Into It. Will I Am Great Lakes 6 14-04-2011 07:31
Pets - Canada to US and US to Canada svfidelis Families, Kids and Pets Afloat 2 27-10-2010 14:23
Canada to US to Canada Charlie Pacific & South China Sea 3 20-09-2006 09:03

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:24.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.