Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2020, 22:21   #1

Boat: Ganley Solution 48 ft
Morse MT3 control

Long time reader and first time poster-

I have a Ganley Solution yacht with a 100 hp Ford diesel. Leaving from the wharf recently- just having had the engine serviced and all looking really good- and suddenly I had no gears. A panicked rush to get ropes back on again later and a quick look under the engine control panel and I realised that a cast wheel piece on the gear side of the controls had broken in half!
Long story short after taking it all to pieces I identified the controller as a Morse MT3 from pictures on the net- ( there was no name or identifying marks on the controller itself). The broken piece was a shift gear part.
1- I can’t seem to get a piece to replace the broken part which means I have to replace the entire unit.
2 - from what I can see the unit is designed as a dual control- for a two engine set up- however my set up which I prefer- has the gear forward and back on one side and the throttle control on the other side.
I hope this makes sense.

I looked for a replacement unit- very expensive here in New Zealand and found some at a good price on the internet however they are advertised on EBay as Morse Teleflex MT3 Replacement units-
Does this mean they are not genuine units?
If so has anyone had experience of using them and are they worth buying- or is it better to bite the bullet and buy the horrendously more expensive unit?
Or is there a way around this I have not thought of- I don’t want to change the set up to have gears and throttle on the one lever- because I tend to single hand and my helming position is interesting -but that’s a whole different story for another day.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
kylie robbins is offline   Reply With Quote