Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2019, 17:28   #1

Boat: Beneteau OCEANIS 46.1
Moody 45DS

I’ve been looking at suitable yachts for a couple with occasional short stay visitors and am after opinions of the Moody 45 DS. I would be looking at a 5 - 10 year old boat with minimum preparation required.
I realise that it’s not a style for everyone, but it ticks a lot of boxes for us. It sails a lot better than it should but obviously the expanses of glass are of concern.
Our plans are to cruise the Med for a season or two then cross the Atlantic after that.
I’d appreciate opinions from those who might have sailed on one & especially about it’s buewater credentials.
CAVOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:03   #2

Boat: Moody 41 AC
Re: Moody 45DS

Moody 45 DS's have sailed in the Pacific from Australia to New Caledonia and have transversed the Tasman between New Zealand and Australia as well as having competed in the Sydney Hobart Race. They have regularly sailed the East Coast of Australia and their bluewater credentials are well established. The Med would be a breeze for a Moody 45DS and a return trip across the Atlantic is well within the capacity of a 45DS.
There is a lot of glass but they are really dry boats and I don't think that is a matter of concern. I have sailed on one in bad conditions on the Esat Coast of Australia and they behave very well.
Wollamai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 17:47   #3

I'm an agent for the West Coast USA Dealer for Moody Yachts.
Moodys are ocean rated - Category A.
Definitely a safe and luxuriously comfortable blue-water cruiser.

Moody Yachts are built at the Hanse Yachts factory in Germany - they are known to be over-engineered hulls with robust top-of-the-line systems in place surrounded by a high-level fit & finish that clients have come to expect from Moody.

I didn't see where you are based, but for clients who have med-cruising plans, such as yours, we recommend taking delivery at the factory in Germany, and then starting your European cruising adventures from there. For our US clients, an international delivery saves the new owner sales tax - often fully-funding their first year of cruising the med. That's real win-win!
JK3Yachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 22:41   #4

Boat: Beneteau OCEANIS 46.1

Thanks for your replies. I recently had the chance to go over a Moody 45DS with the long term owner and you can’t be but impressed on the overall layout and finish. It apparently sails very well and the owners have done quite a lot of offshore sailing around the SW Pacific and Tasmanian Coast.
I guess my concern primarily is the large flat expanse of glass in the cockpit, which is also what makes the yacht so unique & liveable as well. Does Hanse provide any specs on the glass fitted and the attachment strengths for the doors, as it could be obviously critical in big seas.
CAVOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVOK View Post
Thanks for your replies. I recently had the chance to go over a Moody 45DS with the long term owner and you can’t be but impressed on the overall layout and finish. It apparently sails very well and the owners have done quite a lot of offshore sailing around the SW Pacific and Tasmanian Coast.
I guess my concern primarily is the large flat expanse of glass in the cockpit, which is also what makes the yacht so unique & liveable as well. Does Hanse provide any specs on the glass fitted and the attachment strengths for the doors, as it could be obviously critical in big seas.
Personally I'm not a big fan of large areas of glass on offshore boats but when you think about it that pretty much describes virtually every catamaran out there and no one stays up all night worrying about whether their catamaran will make it to the other side, do they??
My personal views are that most any yacht in decent shape can be sailed offshore in the low latitudes and reasonable weather.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote