Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2014, 12:03   #1

Mogil Maid, a UK Ballard

Anyone have contact details for Mogil Maid, a UK Ballard. She was passing through Paris three days ago flying an Australian flag. I did the same thing 40 years ago and would like to say hi. They are apparently on their way to Turkey
jamesjle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:40   #2

Re: Mogil Maid, a UK Ballard

Yes Hi, I brought Mogil Maid (my son's boat) here to Kusadasi, Turkey last year from Bursledon via Cherbourg, Ouisterham, Le Havre, Rouen, Paris,Lyons and the French canal system. Made two major mistakes. Firstly, should have sent the mast to Port St Louis by Road and secondly if you choose to carry the mast you really need two crew to help through the Locks, particularly the large ones on the Seine where the wash from the commercial vessals in front can make life in the lock very uncomfortable. From Port St Louis came here via Cassis, Isle D'hyeres,Pt Grimaud, Juin de la Pins and then through Med to Corinth Canal via Ionian and then to Turkey. Now having a full re-fit and re-paint. Having brought my HR43 here in 2005 via Bay and Gibraltar I decided as draught only 1.55m to try the Canals. We had no problem with the Authorities but had a VERY thorough inspection by the Gendarme at the first lock 'Ablon' after we left Paris. They were particularly interested in our safety systems. If you are planning this route make sure you have a boarding ladder, preferably fixed on the stern.
Brian Carbury is offline   Reply With Quote