Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2016, 06:46   #16

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Minn Kota opinions needed

CaptJ,
I've used a Minn-Kota electric motor for over 30 years on a square stern sailing canoe for bass /trout fishing in small lakes. For a limited time period ,in benign conditions, they are excellent. I use a Group 27 marine battery that is cumbersome to carry any distance and has a limited time capacity if you use medium to high power. Personally, I would never consider one as a dinghy tender since I would not trust it in big winds, current, and waves in an inflatable that is not the most aerodynamic design(as opposed to a canoe). And, if you're cruising, you will have to stow the battery below in a safe, secure place and then re-deploy it when you use your tender. There are many new small HP motors today that are lightweight and have good power that are a far better alternative than electric. I look forward to the day when electric power will be practical, efficient, and dependable in ALL marine conditions. I don't believe we've arrived there yet. Good luck and safe sailing. Rognvald
Old 13-10-2016, 08:05   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Minn-Kota's are nearly bullet proof.
Problem is the battery that is required to use them, but if quiet is what your after, its about the only solution, reason they have been on Bass boats for the last 40 yrs or so.

Maybe as a back up to a gasoline motor
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2016, 21:33   #18

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
At how many volts?

Often times the AH are inflated by deflating the voltage.

Usually in a case like this the voltage is maybe 1.5; not the 12V you would need to run an electric motor.
That's at 12 volts. The unit is designed and marketed to jump start cars and trucks.

This weekend I am off on an adventure so will have some real world experience once I return to "civilization".
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 05:27   #19

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
The lithium batt called a Mighty Jump Starter in the Walmart automotive section is light (12.5 ounces) and is 33300 mWh. That translates to 40 amp hours presuming I got the math correct.

Not seeing that on the Walmart site?

I've found a Viatek MJ01 "Might Jump" charger on Amazon.. but I haven't found capacity info on the Viatek website... Manual only says 12V 6A DC...

-Chris