Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2011, 12:54   #46

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Re: Miles Traveled

Then, it might be interesting to compute days at sea (getting underway in the morning and arriving in the afternoon) and "full days" (being at sea for the night).

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 13:30   #47

Boat: nothing

about 20 miles.....got them this weekend...

PS...let me know if you need any advice.
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 13:45   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Miles Traveled

ROTFLMBO............ Nice one Piglet....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 13:56   #49
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Long ago figured out that comparing miles sailed with other sailors is more like phallic bravado than any real measure of experiance. I do know that real experianced sailors are usually like fisherman when it comes to the truth anyway. Be careful when measuring the miles that you don't miss the measure of sailing .
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 14:07   #50

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner

I keep this list to show insurance companies for deliveries, since i have no qualifications, always worked so far.

A short list of my sailing experience ( blue water only)

1975- Whangarei – Noumea and return

1976- Auckland – Suva and return

1977- Whangarei – Noumea and return; Whangarei – Suva; Auckland – Mooloolaba and return; Sydney – Hobart and return

1979 Sydney – Lord Howe – Noumea – Vila – Honiara – Gizo - Cairns

1980 Sydney - Auckland

1981 Auckland – Sydney

1982 Sydney – TahitiHawaiiAlaska

1983 AlaskaVancouver

1984 Vancouver – San Francisco – LA – San Diego – Ensenada – Cabo San Lucas

1985 Cabo San Lucas – Puerto VallartaLa Paz Guaymas – Acapulco - Cost Rica
1986 Puntarenas – Isla del Coco – Golfito – Panama – Isla San Andres – Key WestMiami

1987 Nassau – Ft Lauderdale; Ft Lauderdale – BahamasPanamaTahiti – Auckland

1993- Sydney – Auckland

1994- Auckland – Sydney

1995- LA – San Diego – Ensenada – Cabo San Lucas – La Paz – Guaymas – La Paz

1998-2000- Guaymas – La Paz – Acapulco – GuatemalaNicaragua – Cost Rica – Panama - Colombia – Grand Cayman – Panama – MexicoSan Francisco

2001- Canet, FranceAntigua

2002- Antigua – Panama – San Diego; Grand Cayman – Key West

2003- HawaiiSan Francisco

2006- Papeete – Opua

2008- Whangarei – Brisbane

2009- Malaysia – Sri Lanka – Mumbai – Oman – AbuDhabi

2010- Whangarei - Brisbane

Some of these passages were made single handed, some crewed, nearly all as skipper/navigator and a number were deliveries

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 15:53   #51

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
I am conflicted about counting miles at sea.
Yes, I agree with you...to a degree.

In my mind, the thread was to get to know how members are using their boats, what they feel is an their biggest accomplishment and to basically get ball rolling to hear the stories. I wasn't just looking for statistics. I know I could have asked for those things but a simple "how far have you gone" is sufficient to get the discussion going.

I personally am as much, or even more, interested in the people who don't have the sea miles and are just getting started. They are often the ones with the greatest enthusiasm and for whom each new wave or wind shift is an exciting experience. A day sailor in a dinghy can have an amazing story to tell even if they sailed five miles across a bay.

On the other hand, bragging rights can be interesting.

Some people have reported amazing number miles. I obviously don't have the miles to brag about (in ten years I have likely done less 3000 miles) so to hear from people who have been around the world (multiple times) and sailed in places I have never heard of inspires me.

In the end, I am happy with the response to this thread. Thanks gang!
Old 24-10-2011, 16:02   #52

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
I personally am as much, or even more, interested in the people who don't have the sea miles and are just getting started. They are often the ones with the greatest enthusiasm and for whom each new wave or wind shift is an exciting experience. A day sailor in a dinghy can have an amazing story to tell even if they sailed five miles across a bay.
Yes, exactly-- I like the stories, and the least interesting part is how many miles were traveled. I'm usually a cautious with people who define themselves in such a narrow way, mostly because the conversations can be annoying. There's so much more to the experience -- why do they like sailing? Why do they keep doing it? Have they figured something out and put it to better words than I've found?

Because sometimes it seems like a pretty dumb thing to do.

(edited because I said about the same thing you said, but you said it better and shorter)
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 16:14   #53

Quote:
(edited because I said about the same thing you said, but you said it better and shorter)
I actually like what you originally wrote so if you don't mind I will copy it back into the thread.

Quote:
(I just like people's stories. Friends that saved money for their entire working lives before taking off. Others who bought a $10k derelict with a broken Atomic 4, then set off to South America without an engine, working along the way. Another friend is well into his second circumnavigation, because after all those years, either he or America had changed so much that it is no longer his home, so he just kept going. My former neighbors just got 'the bug', bought a brand spanking new enormous boat, and are learning how to sail and hoping to take off in x years. And the Polish folks who built a tall ship in a forest, but first had to build a lumber mill to process the trees they chopped down, and were on their way around the Cape of Good Hope when I met them.

That is the type of story I am intersted in too!
Old 24-10-2011, 16:17   #54

Scoundrel

Still a trainee as far as sailing goes, but we are putting in the miles. We started our journey last October.

Over 660 miles this season. Expecting to break 700 with our final sail in early November.

We cannot wait for the days when we put that many miles in the 'ol log book on a single passage.

Best,
DJ
Coolruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 16:28   #55

I wanted to add that the first club I joined used to give out flags at the end of the season for accomplishments: 250 miles, 500, 1000, salt water, most ports, etc.

In an ideal world one really shouldn't gauge ones worth basd on external validation like that, but that said, when I got my first 250 miles flag it was a real milestone for me. I started up as one who didn't even know how to tie my first boat up to the dock.

While miles themselves are not everything, they can be a factor.
Old 24-10-2011, 16:32   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolruns View Post
Scoundrel

Still a trainee as far as sailing goes, but we are putting in the miles. We started our journey last October.
Thanks for sharing that coolruns but I think most people will agree that no matter how far we sail, we are always a trainee. At least, I know I am.
Old 24-10-2011, 16:37   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

me hum.. oh about 1500 miles this year so far. A bit less last year, oh 1100 ish. Good bit of it singlehanded..... With a little luck, quite a bit more next year..
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 16:39   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Hardest thing so far has honestly been getting in and out of the slip.
The second time I took my first boat out I misgauged the approach to the dock and hit with a big thud. Put a 2 inch gash in my bow. It was my first damage and ultimately, my fist gelcoat repair. Luckily, I have not had that experience again.

I heard a saying once that "sailing is pure bliss punctuated by shear terror". That's docking for ya!
Old 24-10-2011, 17:43   #59

Quote:
I am conflicted about counting miles at sea.

The number just doesn't tell you much about the experience-- my friend crewed on a Norsea 27 for a week, and I am certain he'd say that those 500 miles are completely incomparable to the more than half around the world he sailed on my boat. The couple thousand I have on a 52' boat with electric winches and an ice maker felt more like a floating party with a few minutes of day sailing here and there.

I also feel like the "miles" thing is a bit of a boyscout badge. Which is fine, I know that for some, sailing is a bit of an Everest expedition-- a thing to prove themselves. That's better than me, because I haven't even really figured out why I love being at sea. But, for me, it feels a bit... impious... and imprecise, to measure the experience like that, sort of like summarizing my experience as a parent by the total combined weight of my children. Which is, by the way, 110 pounds.
I'm in general agreement with your sentiments. Having made 3 milk runs across the Pacific, I've got a ton of sea miles under my belt, but I routinely meet exclusively coastal sailors who I consider to be more experienced/superior, even though they've logged less than half the sea miles I have. The milk run across the South Pacific is like using an SLR point and shoot digital camera. You can use it everyday for 5 years and still not know as much about photography as someone with an old standard film camera has in a week. That said, my experience is:

3 years crew on a Camper & Nicholson 56 Ketch exclusively for rt's between Oahu & Maui & day sails. About 5000 miles spread over about 20 trips over 5 years.

3 milk runs as crew across the South Pacific all combined for about 30,000 miles. One on a Wauquiez 47 cutter rigged mono
One on a Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60 sloop rigged cat
One on a Nautitech 47 sloop rigged cat

1 trip from Australia through Indonesia & Malaysia ending up in Thailand for about 5000 miles

1 trip from Australia to New Zealand via New Cal for about 2000 miles

The combined total of the remainder of my day sails makeup about a thousand miles. The worst sea conditions I've experienced were between Oahu & Maui - and it was never really THAT bad.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote