Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 04:19   #1

Miami boat show rant

So this is the second time I have gone to the boat show">Miami boat show, and my first visit to strictly sail.
I am very disappointed.

Lets start with strictly sail.
The people showing the boats, white south Africans for the most part, were complete jerks. Didn't answer questions, were rude, the only words they would say is take off your shoes and leave your backpack outside. If you asked a question, they would just walk away.
The boats at strictly sail were for the most part $1 million plus. No lagoon cats? That was one of the reasons I went was to see a lagoon 42 cat.

Then I moved onto the other side of the water, a 40 min boat ride away.... why? They had tents with "air conditioning" that were about 85 degrees. The vendors inside were the usual crew, most very nice. Some gimmicky junk and some useful stuff. Thats all good, but you could barely stand the heat. Honestly the whole tent idea was poorly done. I would expect more for a place I paid $25 to visit. There was also no map this year, so you had to wonder around the tents until you found what you were looking for... Outside the boats were all fishing boats, with a few motoryachts. No trawlers, no slow cats.

The food was nearly non-existent. When there was food it was stuff like hotdogs and Brazilian food. Vastly overpriced. I paid $7 for a lemonade, and skipped eating, or I would have blown all of my boat money on a hotdog. Honestly I had a better time at the west marine in Fort Lauderdale and was comfortable while I shopped.

I shall not return to this complete waste of time and money called, Miami boat show, again.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:54   #2

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'
Re: Miami boat show rant

Wow, we must have attended different shows. Our experience was the exact opposite. You couldn't find the lagoon cats?? I spent a large part of our 4 days affixed to the 450S and 52F (hint - they were center-stage right next to the FP and all other sailing Cats.) Maps with a complete listing of all exhibitors and vendors were included in the directory handed out as you entered the show.

The row of restaurants at Strictly sail offered every conceivable cuisine - Hard Rock Cafe to Latin, Italian, and various typical pub fare.

We spent the majority of our time at Strictly sail, but did enjoy the vast array of vendors at the motor show. Overall, I found all the staff very polite and helpful (especially those affiliated with the boats.)

Perhaps you exuded a different "vibe"? i.e. Should you really need to be told to take off your shoes?

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:24   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Miami boat show rant

I saw everything I wanted to see at the show, including Lagoon....
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boat show, miami, miami boat show