Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2021, 11:28   #1
cruiser

Meta Ecotroll 39

Lately I'm looking at this interesting boat. It seems to have a lot of good points as a go anywhere boat. Does anyone know anything much about it, or the company's reputation, etc?

https://meta-yachts.com/en/realisations/#ajaxmodal
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 15:05   #2

Re: Meta Ecotroll 39

Your post inspired me to do a bit of research into the Nanni hybrid drive, certainly a very tidy and compact approach to the electric propulsion enigma.
Meta has been building metal boats for a long time including Moitessier’s “Joshua” back in the mid 1960s so no surprises there re the ability to supply a competently built metal hull.
I’m a bit conflicted with the Eco concept though, metal boats are big contributors to the Co2 emission problem and aluminum is the worst of all the boat building materials in this respect( around 12tons of Co2 per 1 ton of rolled plate, minesite to warehouse ).
I’m a slow adopter with modern electronics and the concept of a common rail ECU controlled engine coupled to an electronically controlled charging and drive system that is saltwater cooled seems to imply a high degree of systemic fragility. ........no solar power mentioned as an additional source of replenishment but there is the wingsail kite.
I have no doubt that renewable clean electric power is the future but currently, long distance cruising with electronic fallibility and no viable sail alternative would concern me.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 17:04   #3
cruiser

Skipperpete...thanks for yourtho thoughtfull comments. Re the alu hull, not only the ecotroll 39 is alu, but all their boats are. They use a different to normal system as well, the Stongall, 1/2inch thick, large sections, with a different welding system too. I'm dont accept the comment that Ali is the worst, based on co2. How could you calculate what percentage is in fact recycled alu? In fact most alu is already recycled.
It's also not clear how 'fragile' this boat would be. Modern boats are full of all sorts of electronic equipment these days. Theres no reason for believing this boats would be any less robust. There is also more redundancy on this boat than most...2 diesel motors, 2 electric motors, and even a kite sail. One foto also shows 4 solar panels. I'd feel pretty safe on this boat.
Old 25-09-2021, 18:12   #4

Given that my next boat will be an Ovni I might seem a touch hypocritical regarding the choice of Hull material. In the US, 36% of aluminium production is from recycled aluminium , mostly cans and is remade into cans. European sites claim a 75% recycle rate but give no info regarding what it gets recycled into
I’m very hopeful electric powered vessels using renewable energy will take over the propulsion market and that reality gets closer by the day. I was aboard a 65’ electric yacht 30 years ago and it was a dream to motor silently along but it was early in the game and she had 5 tones of forklift batteries in the keel as ballast and had no other connection to the propshaft than the electric motor.
I rather like the Ecotroll, especially the smaller versions..... great idea for the canals in Europe.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2021, 18:54   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
Given that my next boat will be an Ovni I might seem a touch hypocritical regarding the choice of Hull material. In the US, 36% of aluminium production is from recycled aluminium , mostly cans and is remade into cans. European sites claim a 75% recycle rate but give no info regarding what it gets recycled into
I’m very hopeful electric powered vessels using renewable energy will take over the propulsion market and that reality gets closer by the day. I was aboard a 65’ electric yacht 30 years ago and it was a dream to motor silently along but it was early in the game and she had 5 tones of forklift batteries in the keel as ballast and had no other connection to the propshaft than the electric motor.
I rather like the Ecotroll, especially the smaller versions..... great idea for the canals in Europe.
Yes, the Ovni boats are probably good too. For sure electric and hybrid is taking over in the boating world. Massive improvements with batteries, controllers, solar panels. And with the kite sails now, no shading of the solar anymore. And with the fin keels of the Ecotroll and its low draft, like 4feet, it can do any canal, Great Loop, etc.