Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Is throwing a message in a glass bottle overboard littering?
Yes, it's litter. 22 27.85%
No, it's not litter. 57 72.15%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2014, 11:35   #106

Re: Message In A Bottle: Litter?

Y'all do know that low earth orbit satellites that are past their useful life and have decaying orbits are deliberately crashed into the ocean? We strangely hear little fuss about that. Some of the material burns on re-entry but not all.

And that almost 28 percent of the earth's matter is silica...glass. And that the silica...not exactly pure but likely pretty close...was "mined" to make that bottle.

So throwing a clean bottle in the ocean is kinda like re-cycling the silica.
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 12:26   #107

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

It would be "legally" littering even without the MARPOL regs, because actionable conflicts with the law usually require intent. In this case, the intent is for the bottle to wash up on shore and be found, which (being within all the various mile limits) - has been considered littering for a long time.
Old 15-08-2014, 13:18   #108

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I can't think of anything more un-romantic than witnessing the beauty of the sea disfigured by human detritus. I crossed the Atlantic this summer and sadly nary a day passed that I didn't see at least one unnatural object that made my eyes sore in that vast expanse of wilderness.

It could be at that least one of those objects was a message in a bottle. I can't say for certain as I did my best to ignore them, unfortunately to little effect.

I can find only saccharin sweetness in knowing the majority of respondents to this poll would be disconcerted to wake up and find garbage on their front lawn or the dock of their marina and that they wouldn't put said litter in it's proper place, but I suppose one man's trash is another man's treasure. To each his own.

However, I find hypocrisy in the assertion that some forms of pollution are acceptable but others are not. There is nothing romantic about garbage unless you are a rat.
You ignored all the litter you saw when crossing the Atlantic I pick up litter all the time in my waterways area, just doing my small part. But I am a hypocrit, because I believe the message in the bottle is different from litter. And I would enjoy if one of those bottles were actually tossed in the water with a purpose (sending a message of joy) of other than being a lazy bum.

Just my simple minded humble opinion

Oh, I wish the police would arrest those bums that keep throwing litter with coupons in my driveway every weekend, but like you say, I'll just pick it up and put it in it's proper place, just like I do when I encounter it on the water
Old 15-08-2014, 13:48   #109

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
Y'all do know that low earth orbit satellites that are past their useful life and have decaying orbits are deliberately crashed into the ocean? We strangely hear little fuss about that. Some of the material burns on re-entry but not all.

And that almost 28 percent of the earth's matter is silica...glass. And that the silica...not exactly pure but likely pretty close...was "mined" to make that bottle.

So throwing a clean bottle in the ocean is kinda like re-cycling the silica.
I'd rather see tons of message bottle silica recycled than satellite refuse dumped into the water. Some of those old russian satellites had 100kw mini nuclear reactors on board! Probably does'nt matter if that stuff "burns up" or not!
Old 15-08-2014, 14:27   #110
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skye View Post
I love polls that require everyone to shut up, brings out the fun side of the forum
Sometimes you have to poke folks a couple times first, though.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 16:06   #111

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Sometimes you have to poke folks a couple times first, though.
Yes sir!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	machine-gun-facebook-like.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	86662