Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2019, 15:57   #1

Boat: S2 9.2A
maryland to nj question

hey all.. looking to bring boat to nj from Maryland.

Chesapeake bay north to Chesapeake/Delaware canal

to enter canal do I need to notify anyone before?

very new at sailing but learning..

thanks in advance

Potomac river to Chesapeake bay to Chesapeake/Delaware canal through cape may, ocean to Raritan bay
ChrisBohnyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 17:16   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: maryland to nj question

If your boat is less than about 60 feet then no requirement to notify the canal authority. Monitor VHF channel 13 to follow the canal authority activity. There is nothing wrong with contacting the canal authority before you enter the canal to inquire about traffic coming your way. I try to avoid an oncoming very large barge or ship. But if you find something large coming your way there is room to move to the side and let it pass.

Time your transit with the tide. With a little advance planning you can transit the C&D Canal with the rising tide, then catch the beginning of the falling tide down Delaware Bay. At peak flow Delaware Bay tides are about 1.5 to 2 knots, So definitely worth using to your advantage. For me it is usually about 5 to 6 hours in Delaware Bay, which is most of the duration of a falling tide.

Fine anchorages are available in the Chesapeak to wait for the tide. I am not a fan of the anchorages in Delaware Bay. We try to avoid them, but usually have a plan B to anchor in Delaware Bay if needed. We like anchoring at Cape Henlopen, and usually rest there before heading up the New Jersey shore.

Enjoy the trip!
Old 26-09-2019, 20:30   #3
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

Trip south on Delaware bay is tougher to time tides, if I am riding the tide in the c&d, I usually end up fighting it mid Delaware.
If your mast is short enough (less than 55’ I think) you can go thru the cape May canal. And anchor off the coast guard station at cape May if you like, waiting for conditions to move north. If your mast is too big you have to go around cape May and enter from the east to get to the anchorage...but it is a good staging point to move north

Lots of places on the bay to drop a hook, just pick a favorable spot based on wind direction.. and wait for the tide and wx to change.

Fyi it’s not fun coming down the bay against the wind, pick your wx window wisely..[emoji16]

And monitor channel 13 while near and in the canal.. canal ops advisories are announced there: closures due to fog, big boats, rr bridge closures, etc...ais is helpful if you have it.

Good luck
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 04:56   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

The C&D is easy.

We're not so bothered by tides, but you will be. Do time your transits to coincide with tides to the greatest extent possible.

On the Chesapeake side, good anchorages in the Sassafras River and Chesapeake City... or there are decent marinas at Chesapeake City, Summit North, or Delaware City.

We've encountered serious fog on Delaware Bay; not out there often enough to know how common that might be... but in two (out of three) trips, we couldn't see the front of our boat from the helm. I'll suggest if you encounter that and don't have both RADAR and AIS, stay put 'til it lifts, and factor possibility into your schedule.

-Chris
Old 27-09-2019, 05:07   #5

Boat: Adams 45

Delaware Bay can be an unpleasant trip, especially at night when the multitude of lights requires a lot of concentration. From the Potomac it's almost the same distance to Cape May going down the Bay and north from Cape Charles, skipping the C & D canal and Delaware Bay. Whichever way you go, plan on waiting as needed for a good weather window.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 05:14   #6

If you're really new at this, you may not be aware that when experienced sailors talk about the "tides" in this context, they're really talking about "tidal currents". The "current" part is just understood. But when planning your trip, be sure you're looking at the tidal current charts, and not just the tides. They can be very different.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 05:34   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

This will help with understanding and anticipating the currents.

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/of...rrents_nowcast

There is also the railroad bridge to contend with if your mast is high enough. It’s usually, only lowers for trains, broadcasts when it will come down. You can also call them on VHF to find out their status. Look at the charts to find out the clearance.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 10:14   #8

Boat: 24ft Bristol Corsair
Send a message via MSN to brendanwalls Send a message via Yahoo to brendanwalls Send a message via Skype™ to brendanwalls

Thanks

I gotta do this too but instead of crossing to Cape May want to circumnavigate the peninsula

Brendan
brendanwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 10:32   #9

No notification for canal. Easy! Just watch current. Also, watch current in the Del Bay.
You can take canal at cape may if your mast isn’t too high. Check the chart.
Cohansey River idn’t a bad anchotage on Delaware bay, if u need one.
altinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 10:40   #10

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
If you're really new at this, you may not be aware that when experienced sailors talk about the "tides" in this context, they're really talking about "tidal currents". The "current" part is just understood. But when planning your trip, be sure you're looking at the tidal current charts, and not just the tides. They can be very different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
This will help with understanding and anticipating the currents.

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/of...rrents_nowcast

I do this regularly. You haven't said what boat you have. If you hit Worton Point at slack before flood AND can maintain 6 kts STW you can get a boost all the way through the C&D and down the Delaware Bay.

You don't have to call ahead at the C&D but there are "stoplights" and calls on VHF 13 if something so big that you can't pass it is coming. Watch for the lights (there is just one at the entrance and it is on the charts).

Even if you don't have much experience at night the C&D is like driving I-95.

I do NOT recommend the Reedy Island anchorage. There are just too many things that can go wrong.

I'm a 24/7 guy. From the mouth of the Potomac I'd fuel in Solomons or Annapolis and run to Worton Point and stage for current there. Next stop, if you have to, is Cape Henlopen. Anchor if you need sleep. I prefer crew and run through. Without stops you're looking at three days or a bit less depending on the boat.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 12:02   #11

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel

I have been through the C&D canal three times in 20-30 foot vessels.
Do not go through at night!
Keep well to your own side of the channel. The gentle curve of it is deceptive and larger vessels cannot see you from their after wheelhouses.
Also I second the warning about nightime navigation on the Eastern end, it's very confusing and a bottleneck for commercial traffic including combersome barge rigs.
The Cape May canal is a time saver, but often restricted by depth and only the locals will be able to tell you the state of it.
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 05:36   #12

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffel View Post
Keep well to your own side of the channel. The gentle curve of it is deceptive and larger vessels cannot see you from their after wheelhouses.
Also I second the warning about nightime navigation on the Eastern end, it's very confusing and a bottleneck for commercial traffic including combersome barge rigs.
The Cape May canal is a time saver, but often restricted by depth and only the locals will be able to tell you the state of it.

You're going to have to be really clear about your concerns about using the C&D at night. The marks coming up both the Chesapeake and Delaware are lit and clear. On the canal the sodium iodide lights are like daylight. The only moderate issue is slowing down at the end so your eyes have a chance to adapt.

I pay a lot of attention to tidal current between Worton Point and Cape Henlopen. I don't worry about time of day. Frankly I'd rather do the C&D at night than in the day. Less unpredictable recreational traffic. At night I might pass one tug and tow--professionals--and the whole experience is boring. I like boring.

At the Eastern end you just have to look at the charts. There is a tendency to turn South too early. Count the marks and you'll be fine. Check the flash rates against the chart. You have to TRY to run across the shoal.

Monitor VHF channel 13 and you'll know who is coming and going. You can slow down and avoid conflict somewhere narrow. Generally a little communication on the radio resolves everything.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 07:13   #13

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffel View Post
I have been through the C&D canal three times in 20-30 foot vessels.

Why ever not?

-Chris
Old 28-09-2019, 07:27   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Auspicious,

FWIW I find coming out of the canal into the DELAWARE at night can be difficult. My worst night was coming out, needing to turn North. Since I had gone South they had set up a dredging operation in addition to the various anchored barges and moving traffic you expect there was the dredge itself, support vessels, plus a couple of bits of pipe anchored here and there. It can be quite stressful, or at least for me.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 07:39   #15
kcj

Boat: Lagoon 470, ex corsair f31

Going thru the canal at night is not bad, as long as you are well rested. It is well lit. But remember, you are in a canal, not open water. If Otto goes on the fritz for 30 seconds you are on the rocks. I find it requires much more intense focus than coming up the Delaware, or Chesapeake ...

If you are not experienced at night navigation the transition in and out of the canal can be adventurous. I would not recommend a night transit if there was no crew on board with night nav experience...
YMMV[emoji16]
kcj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Maryland