Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2022, 10:47   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: MarineMax Evicts 30 Boats for being "Too Old"

There is precedent for this approach in the RV world. I've read about how a lot of private RV campgrounds will not allow older rigs to enter. Sounds like the same thing is happening here; they're making a simple carte blanche rule that doesn't take individuals into consideration.

I assume they know their business better than we do, so it seems to me it's just market capitalism operating as intended. Maximize profits.
Old 22-01-2022, 10:59   #32

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I assume they know their business better than we do, so it seems to me it's just market capitalism operating as intended. Maximize profits.
Which should not be a problem as long as it is a private business. Their property/business they can run it as they like. Just don't forget which marinas are doing this when a downturn comes in the marine business.

If it is a town/city/state/province owned facility then that is where it becomes a problem. We all pay for those.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 11:13   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
Which should not be a problem as long as it is a private business. Their property/business they can run it as they like. Just don't forget which marinas are doing this when a downturn comes in the marine business.

If it is a town/city/state/province owned facility then that is where it becomes a problem. We all pay for those.

Completely agree, on both counts.
Old 22-01-2022, 11:25   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie91 View Post
No need to fret there,... those slips go the those with connections.

On balance,... I'd rather let capitalism rule.
MyCatLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2022, 11:29   #35

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

The source is stated in the OP.

Just seems to be more in the effort to prevent small boaters from enjoying the sport/lifestyle. Can't go to a marina, and can't anchor, unless you're very rich.
Old 24-01-2022, 18:48   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I find it interesting that there is no real conclusive evidence of fiberglass deterioration. There should be a definitive test done by a surveyor that can be handed off to an Insurance company as to the condition of a vessel.
You cannot tell me a Tayana 37 with a 1" thick hull is less of a boat than one of the high production bleach bottle boats on the market.
Really, the issue is deeper and broader. Insurance can be obtained for any age vessel IN SEAWORTHY condition. The general issue with older vessels is the widespread derelicts. A marina owner wants to deter the problem so requires insurance.
Don’t know what the concern is besides the freeloaders that tend to create issues for the rest. Society requires rules. If you wish to not participate, go elsewhere
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 19:11   #37

That is a nice looking marina providing slips for small boats, almost all powerboats hence readily trailerable. 247 slips. 300 winter storage yard.

From the picture the vessels look well kept. No derelict one's visible.

Could be that they are ramping up the rent and culling some clients to make more slips available on the market.

Or they could be making room for supporting their boat brokerage and sales force so as to be able to sale a boat and rent or sale a slip as a package offering.

Reference: https://marinas.com/view/marina/pwcw...s#&gid=1&pid=1
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 20:55   #38

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Get together with the other 29 Owners, pool your money, buy some waterfront land and build your own marina.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 21:18   #39

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
Really, the issue is deeper and broader. Insurance can be obtained for any age vessel IN SEAWORTHY condition. The general issue with older vessels is the widespread derelicts. A marina owner wants to deter the problem so requires insurance.
Don’t know what the concern is besides the freeloaders that tend to create issues for the rest. Society requires rules. If you wish to not participate, go elsewhere
Yes, really. Try reading what I wrote..."There should be a definitive test done by a surveyor that can be handed off to an Insurance company". That would take the guess work whether a 78 Tayana37 was a derelict or a 2012 Bene was. And please...loose the term "Seaworthy". That's doesn't even enter this conversation when it is the marinas kicking out older boats.
Where are you getting "freeloaders"? No one even mentioned the 30 boats were either derelict or if their owners are freeloaders (by your definition) are in some way are creating an issue.
"Society requires rules" ...Cripes, you sound like a 3rd. grade homeroom teacher.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 21:20   #40

Boat: Pearson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyCatLife View Post
That's my gut instinct too. They want a marina full of modern pristine vessels.

But to be fair,... If I am trying to sell a new SeaRay 65 every week,... I don't want my clients walking past eyesores.

Edit: just checked their website... Ocean Alexander, Azimut,...

This may be a business going more upmarket

There is a cost of doing business in every form of business endeavor. Passing your own version of righteousness off to EVERYONE is nothing more than elitism. F'em.
kzmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 22:02   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I do think they owe their customers ample notice, but if the market is competitive, I can see why they want to maximize their revenue. When they make moves like this, it does tend to alienate people for life.
Something tells me they don't really care if they alienate the folks with $5k derelict boats. In fact, they probably prefer it if they are going after a more profitable clientele.

As someone else said, I would like to get the full story as it may not leave as much sympathy.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2022, 22:05   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
There is precedent for this approach in the RV world. I've read about how a lot of private RV campgrounds will not allow older rigs to enter. Sounds like the same thing is happening here; they're making a simple carte blanche rule that doesn't take individuals into consideration.
Having been to a number of RV parks with a 10yr rule in a 15yr old RV, it's a half truth.

As long as the RV appears to be in good condition, they seem to forget to ask about the age.

Probably see the same thing if you show up in a classic boat in pristine condition.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2022, 05:48   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Having been to a number of RV parks with a 10yr rule in a 15yr old RV, it's a half truth.

As long as the RV appears to be in good condition, they seem to forget to ask about the age.

Probably see the same thing if you show up in a classic boat in pristine condition.
Good to know. If the rule is used in a reasonable and rational means to bar obviously junky RVs, or boats, then it's not so bad. Old does not mean poor condition. But an age limit isn't subjective. After all, what looks good to my eye probably isn't the same as what you see.
Old 25-01-2022, 06:59   #44

Boat: Norseman 447

The reality is, that if I own a business like a marina, there are going to be some rules and requirements. But those rules are likely to be enforced by the low-on-the-totem-pole first-line people. Allowing subjective rulings like "good condition," or "seaworthy," just opens the owner to accusations of "unfair" or "unreasonable" treatment. So a nice, simple rule like "more 10 years old" is easy and unambiguous.

If you make it a matter of "judgement," you end up with ugly situations, as far example, where every flight attendant is able to kick you off a flight for "inappropriate clothing," where they get to define the rules on the fly (pun intended).
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 07:17   #45

Boat: Catalina 350

I agree with Shrew’s comment. As a boat owner and slip holder in California, I see the old, never used and dilapidated boats all the time. There is a long wait for slips and these boats are never touched and are not seaworthy. Many are used as housing. Old boats that are used and enjoyed should not be penalized and evicted, everyone and thing gets old. But derelict boats should be evicted or removed.
rick bertram is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, marine