Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2022, 09:42   #16

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: Marina recommendation in Ft. Lauderdale

I can never understand why folks refuse to use websites that will directly answer their questions with up to date factual, current information. Active Captain, marinas.com, cruisingguide.com are just a few of the websites that offer information and contacts websites plus phone numbers. And yes, the further North you go the more reasonable the rates.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:35   #17

Boat: Lagoon 2008 420

Thanks I will try that
1tviere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 16:00   #18

Have to agree... Waterwayguide.com is excellent resource.
rwaldrop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 18:15   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

Few places are cruiser friendly here in south Florida. Our state representative conveniently sponsored state legislation that prohibits overnight anchoring in front of his McMansion on Middle River. It previously was a popular staging anchorage for cruisers heading for the Bahamas and beyond. Lake Sylvia and a few other spots remain available. Fort Lauderdale has no jurisdiction over Lake Sylvia, although I know that their marine patrol tries to enforce an unforceable city ordinance. Marinas here more often cater to the 100+ ft yachts. Most slips start at 40 ft. It's the sign of the times.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 06:45   #20

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

Not to disuade you, but you may want to look for alternatives to Fort Lauderdale, if you want to leave the vessel.

Las Olas is now closed for demolition. There are a number of additional anchorages in addition to those mentioned further up the ICW. Cooleys, unless I'm wrong cannot handle a catamaran (we have a Leopard 40). Bahia Mar may not take cats (as they focus on mega yachts... you'd need to double check). Possibly Hall of Fame might be able to take you.

FtL is both pricey and extremely busy right now and this is their busy season... IMHO.

Cheers! Currently on New River and heading up N of FL for hurricane season when conditions work for us.

jBrad
sv Fuzzy Logic
Old 25-04-2022, 07:03   #21

Boat: DeFever 50 CMY

Go up the New River in Ft. Lauderdale. Contact City of Ft. Lauderdale..They have 2 marinas, one (we've stayed at w our 39' cat with 20' beam and loved being there in March) where you dock parallel to the City Docks. Water, electric, security, parking, restrooms, showers all for low low price. You are right downtown, walk to everything!
Old 25-04-2022, 16:21   #22
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

I hear that slip F-18 at Bahia Mar Marina is available.

(LOL Sorry. I've been waiting years to use that in a post. For those of you not familiar with it look up Travis McGee on wikipedia.)
Old 25-04-2022, 16:36   #23

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

One other note on catamarans in Florida... or at least this hasn't happened to us outside of Florida. The end docks (again) are for mega yachts. If you can find a marina with a slip, you will likely have to pay for the full length of that slip, we've found that's typically a 70' slip, which has gotten pricey for 40+ cats.

Yes, it's worth checking in w/ New River, but any longer term stays there are put on the waiting list... it's popular, but not good for your immediate needs.

There's just A LOT of boats down here!
Old 26-04-2022, 02:34   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike View Post
I hear that slip F-18 at Bahia Mar Marina is available.

(LOL Sorry. I've been waiting years to use that in a post. For those of you not familiar with it look up Travis McGee on wikipedia.)
Slip F 18 is no longer there, since the Bahia Mar Marina was re-constructed, several years ago.
In February 1987, a slip in the marina at Bahia Mar was named the first Florida Literary Landmark. It was re-dedicated, in 2004.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 08:01   #25
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O

Been there. My wife and I used to go to a trade conference every February in Fort Lauderdale for about ten years in the late 90's . We would often have dinner and drinks at the Bahia Cabana (no longer there sadly) which looks out on the Bahia Mar Marina. I am a big fan of John D MacDonald and especially his Travis McGee books. But so many fans and tourists showed up looking for slip F-18 that they had to do something. Thus the marker.

The locals in Sanibel Florida have the same problem, Tourists looking for Doc Fords lab. It's turned into an industry. Many of the places in Randy Wayne Whites books exist. Doc Fords Rum Bar and Grille is a popular spot. Unfortunately I have not yet had the opportunity. Maybe someday.

Of course I was just making a poor attempt to inject a small amount of humor into a serious thread where posters were giving the OP really good advice. I hope the OP is able to find a place to moor his boat, especially one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Tags
men