Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 10:38   #1

Boat: Don't have one. Yet.
MacGregor 25 Buing Advice?

I came across a listing for one of these for $1,000. It comes with a trailer but no motor. No info on the boat's quality, but it fits my current budget very well.

I was wondering what you guys know about these boats and what I should look out for if and when I give the guy a call to go see it. 1 grand seems kind of cheap for a 25 foot. Is it likely that this boat has a lot of problems at that price?
ninefoldrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 11:31   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: MacGregor 25 Buing Advice?

The Macgregor's do not have a heavy fiberglass layup. In this regard they are not as strong as other boats. The hull deck join is not great either. Oil canning is common.

For this price you are likely looking at issues with the standing rigging, running rigging and sails. Most of it will need attention.
Does this boat have any tanks? If so, this is probably an issue too. Port lights and stations might be leaky (probably). Cushions will be doggy.

For a $1,000 bucks you really can't expect too much.

Where are you intending to sail? If you are going to be an inland lakes, this boat *might* be OK for day sails But inspect the rigging carefully. That way you can still use the boat as you make improvements.

We have had both a Macgregor and a Catalina. Compared to the Catalina, the Macgregor is so-so quality. I am not impressed. Our Mac is a 97, our Catalina was 25 years older. I would take the Catalina over the mac any day.

I don't actually want to discourage you from this boat though. A boat of your own is a wonderful thing and, if this one keeps your interest alive until another boat comes along - that's good enough! But go into it with your eyes open

I will qualify this by saying I am no expert. This is only my opinion and one without a lot of experience.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 12:15   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You never know though, sometimes especially around this time of year people just get tired of it laying around and would rather have the grand.
Worth a look
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 12:28   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

MacGregors do not have a good reputation for being well-built, or ballasted, for ocean sailing. I would never consider one for myself. However if the boat and trailer are in good shape, I would consider it for lake sailing, in light winds, to learn on. It is a very light boat, if there is any wind at all, you won't need the motor.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 12:33   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

How do you plan to use the boat?

If in reasonable condition its fine for sailing in protected waters.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 13:25   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I forgot to mention the trailer. The fact that it has one is OK. But there are things to look for. The breaks may not work or work marginally. The lights probably need to be replaced. The tires most certainly need to be replaced. The axles might be bent or corroded. AND - the trailer might not be the right one for the boat!

This is last bit is huge if you actually plant to trailer the boat. If the trailer is wrong for the boat and the boat does not ride correctly, you can damage your vehicle and or the boat due to stress and vibration. Well worth googling how to tell if the trailer fits correctly. Oh just ask me how I know....
I wont go into it here, but let me say, it took a year before I got over the PTSD of one bad trailering incident.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 13:45   #7

Nothing wrong with that boat for just local daysailing. Good price with a trailer for $1000, easy to look over. Key points:
- Sails are expensive, if it doesn't have main and jib probably not worth it.
-Trailers without titles are nearly, worthless
-boats without titles may take a long time to get one.
- the rudder likely detaches, make sure it's there.
-if you have to tow it far to get home, watch for wheel bearing failure if it sat a long time.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 15:55   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Nothing wrong with that boat for just local daysailing. Good price with a trailer for $1000, easy to look over. Key points:
- Sails are expensive, if it doesn't have main and jib probably not worth it.
-Trailers without titles are nearly, worthless
-boats without titles may take a long time to get one.
- the rudder likely detaches, make sure it's there.
-if you have to tow it far to get home, watch for wheel bearing failure if it sat a long time.
Good advice, dont buy it w/o clear title on boat and trailer...not worth it for $1,000...been there done that.

Also, check tire condition...maybe distorted/dry rotted if sat for a long time.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 16:28   #9

The titles should be good. I'm pretty sure I know where the boat is kept. They're pretty strict on that kind of thing there. They expect trailers to be in working order as well. Assuming the owner has it where he's selling from.

Sea Dreaming mentioned Catalinas. There were a few Cat 22s I came across before the Mac for 2 grand more. Not a lot of info on them, though. Also an O'Day 23 for 2.3 grand. The 25ft and the price were more appealing to me, but it sounds like the Mac may not be worth it.

As for use, since I'm pretty well inexperienced, I would be doing little more than day sailing on the lake for a while, though I'd like to move into some trips down the river and maybe trailering it to the ocean when I'm confident in my ability. Right now, it's unlikely that I'll be trading up in boats any time soon, so whatever I get, I need to be confident will suit my needs for a while. I don't want to be stuck sailing on lakes until I'm tired of sailing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-01-2016, 16:32   #10

If $1000 gets you something to sail and have fun, it's worth it. Nothing wrong with a Mac, alt of them out there. You're not picking a blue water cruiser.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 17:05   #11

I'd agree with Cheechako on that. $1000 is an easy way to get into sailing if it is in good shape and it should be fine for your plans. Did the O'day have a trailer too? That might be a good deal with a trailer and in good shape. Catalinas are fine too but you said they were up at $3000.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 15-01-2016, 18:43   #12

The O'Day has no trailer.

Old 15-01-2016, 18:46   #13

Would the $3000 be reasonable for a Catalina 22 with trailer? I might be able to swing 3 grand soon.

Old 15-01-2016, 19:06   #14

Boat: CS 27

Better to spend the extra dough on something that is in good sailing condition. I own a couple boats and the one I got for cheap is a pain in the ass. It's still fun, but it's falling apart. It starts to get annoying after a while - to the point of not wanting to go out in it because there are a dozen little things that make it...did I say annoying? It won't sink, but it's...here it comes...annoying.

Also, the condition of the current owner is a good sign of hidden problems.
Chrisgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 22:19   #15

Yes, I'd second that too. I don't know the market where you are. Do you know anyone who sails who could go with you to look at the boats? If the Catalina and trailer are in good shape it could be a good deal. But, even though I personally prefer the Catalina, for your purposes, just getting started, if the MacGregor is in good shape, it makes sense to get your feet wet for $1000 rather than $3000.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37

Tags
macgregor