Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 09:08   #1
cruiser

Low maintenance long term liveaboard idea

Sharing my thoughts regarding a very low maintenance long-term liveaboard.
I'm 6months to beyond ever away and never in a hurry, it's just a shared thought via computers print.
Here is a picture of what I adore; a vessel designed to sail with best performance when laden. As stores become eaten one could always increase ballast with a fresh water maker to replace used stores. In times of calm and unreadable weather one could always flood bilge with fresh to keep her well ballast as a precaution or similar.
She's advertised as a motor sailer yet to my best knowledge the iron could maintain her a below hull wave frequency hull speed or she could go without and be slow compared to many a modern light weight yacht during light conditions : Are all cruisers upon time demand to be at anchorage? I doubt that.
Her bow volume indicates a kindly sail, her keel length indicates a wide fore keel seen as the hull and her thinner long trace below. That broad tapered edge extending beyond her rudder looks protective to hydraulic forces on her rudders fulcrum which is braced above and below. She should walk nicely downhill while the others run.
An advantage of her displacement hull could include a barely noticed drag if one was to use the propeller to torque a small generator. Unlike many a modern downhill skiff design cruiser, she wouldn't care much about utilizing a small aft drag via her prop to maintain her batteries. Solar could be used above deck to maintain batteries to compliment her drag generator.
Although it is hull it looks to react like a broad edge keel extending to waterline, on anchorage she'd ride nicely. This ride would be evident during passage and reduce stress on components, reduced stress equals reduced wear, reduced wear means less maintenance.
I'm referring the hull shape, not material.

Trips me out how so many cruisers are in a hurry to get to port to go back to land commitments or away from a blow.
She'd dance gorgeous man. She'd need some weight. One of the prettiest hulls I've seen. I thought you might like a look. Graceful elegance that'd reduce wear provided tare is there. The simplicity of tare being food for thought.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190403-015150_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	189226  
Boatsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 16:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Low maintenance long term liveaboard idea

Fast is relative. Heavy displacement boats won't benefit much from water ballast so wouldn't even consider messing with it. Cruising is usually about following prevailing winds which tend to be generous. No great need for extreme light wind or windward performance. Our Wetsnail 32 made faster passages than any other boat near her waterline length and outright stomped fancy racers in the typical trade wind conditions. We averaged 118nmpd with almost no engine usage. That included a 178 nm day in the trades and an under 12nm day in the doldrums. You want enough sail to move in light air but a full keel boat with lots of wetted surface is never going to be a light air flyer. Boat will move but not as well as a boat with minimal wetted surface. But other than the doldrums a typical cruising route will have minimal windward and light air work. Sometimes you can't avoid adverse or no winds but good planning mitigates the effect.

So forget about any water ballast ideas. It will give you minimal return and will be costly to build an effective system. Our experience with heavy displacement is they love more weight added on which is the opposite case with a light boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 16:23   #3

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Low maintenance long term liveaboard idea

If you want low maintenance, go with one of the boats on the below list.

I've owned my $2,000 boat for 8 years and have yet to do any structural repairs. Plus, the boat is capable of offshore, long distance cruising

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html

If you are just wanting to work on your writing skills, continue with that, but if you want to learn boats and sailing, buy an old cheap one in good shape and start sailing
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, maintenance