Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 23:37   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Lost my 15hp 2 stroke Yamaha to Davy Jones today

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Make sure you get some oil in the main bearings at the bottom of the crankshaft. This is where my 3 hp Yamaha two stroke rusted out after marinating in seawater for 20 minutes. Since the two cycles are running on 100 to 1 or 50 to 1 they seem to need a heavy application of oil after a saltwater rinse.
Running a tank of a more oil rich fuel thru it would be a good idea too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:43   #17

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Back when I carried a hand gun we were once flipped by a wave while I rowed our inflatable onto a beach. My poor little Beretta Jetfire was full of water. I poured our canteen on the disassembled gun with in 5 minutes and within 2 hours packed in oil in a baggy. A few days later I took it out and it was frozen solid. It is pitted and looks terrible, but shoots fine and I still have it, I guess being unsaleable forced that, over 25 years later. I never lost an outboard but nearly sank a boat that ruined the 45 year old Grey Marine and bought a half sunken boat with a pickled diesel that worked great after some TLC.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:59   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

.22 or 25 cal?
I had a jet fire way back in the 80’s simple little gun, surprised it rusted so quickly.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:28   #19

If it’s a two stroke I would run it rich for a while and also do all the above . I use a anti corrosion spray under the entire cover and also the tiller components Run it to operating temps

J
Traumagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 13:01   #20

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

.25, looks like it had some acne. My wife also has one and it looks brand new. Of course she did not take it out of the safe very often, until she began going on 10 and 12 hour horseback rides every Saturday for many years with a couple friends and I made her bring it. She was reluctant at first, but they rode into a couple of big homeless encampments way out there and what they thought may have been a meth lab once. Eventually she started to feel exposed without it on rides. If we had not been away so long or if we were not 4 people in a Santana 525 for a week I might have had something better to clean it with. Now I have a Charter Arms Stainless Steel .22 magnum for when I want a gun that serves the same purpose as the Jetfire. Although, somewhere I have a 15 round magazine for the Jetfire and the Charter Arms is only a 5 shot.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 00:15   #21

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Just so we all might keep our motors on the dink in the first place, could you share the reason it came off? If the clamps were hand tight firmly was there some defect in the transom? Does the transom incude aluminum plates on one or both mounting surfaces? Is it made of wood or fibreglass?

Thanks, sorry for your trouble, experience is best teacher!
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 07:46   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Lost my 15hp 2 stroke Yamaha to Davy Jones today

Mine came off due to loose clamps, I had bought a cover for the clamps at WM in Key West, I tried to get it on but it wouldn’t fit. I only loosened them slightly but forgot to tighten them. It was aggravated by the Zodiac transom being thin, it took bottoming out the clamp bolts to be tight.

What happened was I was at full throttle and had a Center Console pass me very close, his wake got me chine walking, and that caused the motor to come off.

Of course your supposed to bolt on the outboard too, clamps are secondary, if you leave it on all the time, maybe consider the bolts.
I don’t bolt as I often remove the engine for crossing, if I get into rough weather I don’t want the weight on the davits.

My AB has a lip of aluminum welded on top of the transom that would prevent a loose engine from coming off, which I think is smart. My Zodiac has no such lip.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 06:32   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcb View Post
Ok, I will do this, shoot wd 40 in the connections and etc, will check online the Yamaha service book on how to remove different components and shoot more fresh water there, is it bad if I leave it for in a few days? Thanks a lot for the advice :-)
I lost my whole dink in a storm but I had a line on it off the stearn.. it is a 14 ft aluminum with a 30hp Evinrude. It took me a couple of days to drum up to help to get it up off the bottom. I just could not get it running still attached to the boat. What needed to be done was point the spark plugs down and spin the motor over to get all the water out but I just couldn't accomplish it alone in the water. So we pull the motor and took it to shore and got it running. That was the hard part. You have already got that part going. WD-40 is only a temporary fixed and will not last more than a few days what needs to be put in there is a rust inhibitor and I mean soak it up good and the engine needs to be pressure-washed. My motor has been great ever since and it cranks on the first pull. It's hard to believe that thing was on the bottom of the ocean for days! Good luck with it
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 06:34   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcb View Post
Ok, I will do this, shoot wd 40 in the connections and etc, will check online the Yamaha service book on how to remove different components and shoot more fresh water there, is it bad if I leave it for in a few days? Thanks a lot for the advice :-)
I lost my whole dink in a storm but I had a line on it off the stearn.. it is a 14 ft aluminum with a 30hp Evinrude. It took me a couple of days to drum up to help to get it up off the bottom. I just could not get it running still attached to the boat. What needed to be done was point the spark plugs down and spin the motor over to get all the water out but I just couldn't accomplish it alone in the water. So we pull the motor and took it to shore and got it running. That was the hard part. You have already got that part going. WD-40 is only a temporary fixed and will not last more than a few days what needs to be put in there is a rust inhibitor and I mean soak it up good and the engine needs to be pressure-washed. My motor has been great ever since and it cranks on the first pull. It's hard to believe that thing was on the bottom of the ocean for days! Good luck with it.. I was told to run it every day after the sinking for a while because the water and crap would settle down at the lower crank bearing and it would rust up and then it would just destroy itself so a little extra oil for that next tank of fuel is not a bad thing
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 07:54   #25

It came off loose at the stern loll, i had neglected to check for a good week, aluminium stern on a rib, noticed do in the back that there is a huge chunk missing of the stern like a big chip. In all
Of this adventure I have to be very thankful for the nice people of Nova Scotia, a water taxi guy that was real nice and patient and a very nice diver that charge me 150$, not much..
Marcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 03:00   #26

run it long enough that all posdible water from the crankcase has evaporated. Probably you alteAdy did.
Take it off the boat, let it stand vertical for some tie and carefully open the plug at the bottom of the leg. When it is unscrewed, do not take it away just like that, but let a little bit if what is behind, seep out.
Water? and after that grey oily mayonaise? Drain it all.And refill, perhaps first with some cheaperlubeoil that can help taking away the rest of the grey stuff.
Is the first thing that comes out clean oil, put the plug back in.
This is most lijely, because the leg is a closed compartement
jakkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2019, 08:21   #27

I lost a 25 HP Mercury two stroke overboard in Georgetown one time.

Took it to the local outboard place (Minn's, I think) and they immediately stopped what they were doing and started on my motor.

It ran better after I got it back from them than it did before!
Old 19-07-2019, 08:08   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Get a new carb
Why the hell would you do that ? The carb is easy to clean and least likely to be affected. The worst areas are the crank (change oil a few times) and electrical connections.
Disconnected all electrical connections, rinse with fresh water and let it dry thoroughly. Add some dielectric grease before putting back together.

The gear oil might have some vent opening, I'd go ahead and change it out at least.

I've seen engine manuals that state a procedure on what to do when the engine takes a swim.
az_r2d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 12:29   #29

Not only do you have to replace the carb but people often forget to replace the prop as well..
Eshelby67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2019, 13:02   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshelby67 View Post
Not only do you have to replace the carb but people often forget to replace the prop as well..
Like I said.. WHY would you replace a carb ? Take the thing apart and clean it. No big deal.
az_r2d1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke, lost