Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2018, 16:06   #1

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Looking For US Made United States Flags

Hi, Everybody,

We have just taken delivery of what was sold as 3 US flags, and they were made in China. The proportions are not the same as the US flags we've had before, and the fabric turns out to be fragile (lasts about 1.5 months in our use, compared with 12 months).

Therefore, I would like to find some US source for US made flags, and I would like to know how you fly yours.

Our use is that since it is lit at night, we leave ours up 24/7, along with our Australian courtesy flag, which is up on a similar schedule, also Chinese made, by the way, but lasts roughly 6 months.

I am looking for quality and durability here, and I guess I'll have to pay for it, too, but I am also very tired of 3 flags every 3 months or so. By the way, the fabric on the Chinese flags stays sort of crisp, but it breaks along the stitching lines. They are sewn, not printed, and the fabric breaks long before fading occurs. Most of the damage starts at the upper outboard corner, and works its way down the stripes. I had tried reinforcing the stitch seams with ptfe thread, and while it supports the fabric seam, the fabric still blows out between the seams.

Rant over. Thanks very much for your suggestions.

Ann
Old 25-01-2018, 16:24   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Looking For US Made United States Flags

Ann, Try Seaborn Flags. Their shop/ factory is in San Pedro, CA. We’ve used them for yacht club burgees that lasted very well.

http://www.seabornflags.com/home.html
*(310) 519-1208‬
seabornflags@att.net
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 16:59   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Crikey Ann, really bad timing asking for a USA made flag on Australia Day - what were you thinking.

Anyhow, being as you are honorary Aussies complete with Tassie licences, here is a link where you can buy quality Stars & Stripes made in Australia by Aussies - look no further!

https://www.flagworld.com.au/united-...rica-flag.html

Of course there are other Oz suppliers if you wish to hunt them down.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 21:21   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Crikey Ann, really bad timing asking for a USA made flag on Australia Day - what were you thinking.

Anyhow, being as you are honorary Aussies complete with Tassie licences, here is a link where you can buy quality Stars & Stripes made in Australia by Aussies - look no further!

https://www.flagworld.com.au/united-...rica-flag.html

Of course there are other Oz suppliers if you wish to hunt them down.
Yes, it is bad timing, but I changed my old flag this morning because I wanted it fresh for Australia Day, and discovered the new ones are 2:1 length to height, which is what the Aussie ones are, too; but the proper dimension is 3:1, like the picture on the Aussie site. Unfortunately the dimension options are all 2:1. Granted, though, the fabrics for the Aussie ones are better.

Thanks, for trying to help, Wottie.

Tayana 42:

Thanks so much for that.

Ann

Can you tell me what "knitted" polyester is? It is one of your link's fabric options, and I am unfamiliar with it.
Old 25-01-2018, 22:16   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

Ann

Can you tell me what "knitted" polyester is? It is one of your link's fabric options, and I am unfamiliar with it.
Here you go
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knitted_fabric

AFAIK, it is cheaper and not as good as woven polyester in terms of toughness to the elements (especially wind) but hopefully a more knowledgeable fabric person will chime in soon.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 05:48   #6

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Hi, Ann,
There are many online sites that sell flags made in the USA. Here's one that is highly rated: www.carrot-top.com/Made-In-USA/Bulk-Discounts. Hope that helps. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald‎
Old 26-01-2018, 08:34   #7

Quality US Made flags.

www.usflagstore.com/‎
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 08:46   #8

Boat: Flicka 20

I get mine at Lowes complete with wood staff. I fly 2 at my home 24/7. They last about 2 years. The size is 2.5' x 4' Made in the USA. The part number is RN 102722. They are printed and they eventually rip at the strips and have to be replaced. Seems like I paid about $15. I buy a couple every 2 years. I'm like you, I'd spray a bed sheet Red, White and Blue and get stick on stars rather than buy a China made USA flag. What an insult.
CaptainJohn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 09:06   #9

Boat: Seidelman S-37

Try Valley Forge flags
https://www.valley-forgeflag.com
It doesn't get more USA made then that
frankv1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 09:11   #10

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

I've found that the "Tough-Tex" American flags by Annin (US made) have done the best for us. They're also called "High wind" flags in some flag shops. They are sewn (not printed) of polyester of a fairly coarse weave, not nylon, and don't seem to fade. However, if we're in or around big cities or airports, we find it needs to be washed every so often. I bought our last couple from Amazon Prime.

Like you, our flag is up 24/7 while we're aboard - and it gets a beating sometimes! The "Tough-Tex" flags have generally lasted us more than a year of continuous use - and they have never failed catastrophically - eventually the leech becomes frayed - we've successfully repaired them by shortening and re-sewing, but that just postpones the inevitable .

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 09:12   #11

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Ann,

So far we have found these US made flags hold up the best and are a good value for US$23 including shipping [in US anyway...]:

Quote:
Made in the USA! This is an AUTHENTIC Annin Flagmakers flag. SINCE 1847- the OLDEST and LARGEST manufacturer of flags. Made in our factories in South Boston, VA or Coshocton, OH by one of our OVER 500 employees. Don’t accept an imitation!

Be a Part of History! Annin made the flag that draped Abraham Lincoln’s casket, the flag raised on Iwo Jima and the US flags sent to the moon. Own a piece of history by the HIGHEST QUALITY manufacturer of flags - FAMILY owned for OVER 167 Years.

Quality! Expertly sewn using Annin’s HEAVYWEIGHT 2-Ply polyester weave. Tough All Weather US Flag with most DURABLE construction. PROVEN to last the longest. IDEAL for Large Flags and HIGH WIND situations. Blocks damaging UV rays.

Expert Craftsmanship! SEWN stripes use double-needle LOCKSTITCH with 4 ROWS on the Fly Hem and Back Tack reinforcement. Vivid WHITE STARS are densely EMBROIDERED for beautiful presentation. Two STRONG Brass Grommets.
In case this is helpful.

Cheers! Bill

PS: We fly our 3' x 5' US flag [above an Alaska state flag of the same size] 2/3rds of the way up our mizzen mast on a designated flag halyard. [It looks like it is on a mizzen backstay from a distance...] Since it is not lighted, we lower the colors each evening. Our UV in the summer @ 56-62°N is fairly intense- especially when one considers the summer photo period- but not as long term [year-round] as you experience in the lower latitudes...
Old 26-01-2018, 09:18   #12

If you are state side you can purchase from your state Senator’s local office ��
Emptynest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 09:22   #13

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

ANNIN FLAGS HAVE LWAYS BEEN THE STANDARD FOR US. RUGGED, LOOK GOOD AND MADE IN THE US SINCE 1847....
Old 26-01-2018, 09:25   #14

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Hi Ann, West Marine and Amazon both show Taylor Made U.S. ensigns as being manufactured in the U.S. Defender carries Annin but they don't list where they are made however their website says they are made in Connecticut, USA.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 09:27   #15

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Another vote for Annin flags.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flags