Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 17:35   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Looking for Boaters to Stay With late June and July

meburma... not everyone else here is like me... that was just from where I sit...
I enjoyed your film... it was good... but I've had more than one dose of 5mins of fame and it was not worth it... none of them...
likely you'll find folks here who will help you on your journey...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 18:19   #32

Re: Looking for Boaters to Stay With late June and July

meburma, pls check for a PM from me ...
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:09   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

david--if ye cannot find a boat on which to hang out-- try mine in maz and go from there----
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:33   #34

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
david--if ye cannot find a boat on which to hang out-- try mine in maz and go from there----
Wow Zee. That's like TOTALLY the wrong direction! :-) Don't worry we will sail together again! Congrats on the inexpensive repairs you managed to get done down there!
meburma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:04   #35

Hi Mate, well you certainly opened a can of worms there didn't you?

I think we should just close this thread; I agree with you. If I was somebody monitoring all this I wouldn't be interested. Until I read this thread of people telling everybody not to be interested in them. Then I'd be damn interested. Not that I think anybody is too bothered.

Sorry about the delay with Black Wind - I have had to go off and be a pro Skipper for a bit to meet the repairs bill. She will be running again in a few months time and the party will begin again! Maybe after your summer you can get down to the sunshine - you are still welcome onboard anytime.

Good Luck dude,

James
Old 03-06-2011, 09:09   #36

By the way, if you are reading this Zeehag, maybe you could advise me on how I could find cheap repairs down in Cortez? I only mention it as Dave mentioned it above...

James
Old 03-06-2011, 12:52   #37

in da sea of cortez???? dunno , there-- i got ensenada and mazatlan covered, tho..... find a mexican and go from there-- be friendly and have beer...... GOOOD LEGS AND SOME T N A...... if ye can fish, is ON.... trade some fish and some beer for mexican repairs.. they are cool here.....did i say t n a???? did i say cerveza??? and more cerveza????
i normally do not go where the yachties go---- i keep away from places wherein the boats shine...... fishing fleets and shrimpers also have boats and repair men... they work well for me.....i KNOW i aint cute..... mebbe from 100 ft, like me boat........yottie yards wanted 8000 dollars for what i had fixed in ensenada for 20 dollars us. go figger.......
oh, blACKWIND--IF YER IN MAZ--COME ON BY--AFTER WEDS I WILLBEIN MARINA MaZTLAN FOR HURRYCAAME SEASON, ON Patricia belle's dock......
Old 03-06-2011, 14:41   #38

Okay.

Isn't Matzalan considered the Sea of Cortez? Ok, well, I am not beating back to Ensenada so I will find what I can down here. Thanks anyway.

And I generally don't need to avoid any shiny boats - they generally avoid me. A 26 ton black ferro ketch with paint falling off everywhere and no engine etc generally gets quite a wide berth when sailing around...

See you all out there...

James
Old 03-06-2011, 16:40   #39

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Looking for Boaters to Stay With late June and July

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Wind View Post
Okay.

Isn't Matzalan considered the Sea of Cortez? James
Same country tho!
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 20:27   #40

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma

Well guys... we are out and about. Got to meet wingNwing in person. They gave Casey and I an absolutely amazing amount of hospitality in Annapolis. We had so much fun meeting them and a few of their friends! I really hope that we get to sail together again soon!

Sailing on Lake Michigan now with jtallen2489, who as it turns out is my old lighting professor from college. Loving life on Lake Michigan on his boat, Act III.
meburma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 20:38   #41

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburma View Post
Well guys... we are out and about. Got to meet wingNwing in person. They gave Casey and I an absolutely amazing amount of hospitality in Annapolis. We had so much fun meeting them and a few of their friends! I really hope that we get to sail together again soon!

Sailing on Lake Michigan now with jtallen2489, who as it turns out is my old lighting professor from college. Loving life on Lake Michigan on his boat, Act III.
Glad you got some takers.
Looking forward to seeing the finished product sometime.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:12   #42

Enjoyed meeting you two and seeing my world through your eyes. And I'm sure we'll sail together again ... hopefully with just a touch more wind?
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:22   #43

Boat: Bristol 31.1

For many of you this thread has included a rehash of previous discussions but for me has been informative in several respects.

After joining the forum a couple of weeks ago, I've been getting acquainted with the vibe. Off the bat, I was amused by the number of initial posts just like mine, i.e., "I'm fifty-blank and looking to drop out and take up the cruising life.", but realizing at the same time that this was probably not good!

During my campaign in middle age to fulfill childhood dreams and fantasies, I started surfing. I'd seen Endless Summer when it came out in '66 while vacationing on LBI, NJ and desperately wanted to surf. It was the height of the sixties surf craze. My parents didn't think it was a good idea. So, in my late thirties, I got a board and taught myself to surf. Not well, but well enough to have fun. It didn't take long to discover that most surfers were pretty cagey about where and when they surfed. Not surprising, since the well-known spots were beginning to get crowded even then, twenty years ago. Now, where there used to be 25 people out at 6am, there are 75! It's considered bad form to 'spot-name' and there's a kind of general 'know-nothing' attitude among those from whom a newbie might seek advice, particularly during the recent surf craze redux.

Another of my childhood things was boats. As a kid, I loved them, wanted to have one, wanted to be aboard one, and did so at every opportunity, which alas wasn't often. After finding CF, I wondered whether there might be some of that same guardedness among cruisers/liveaboards generally. Responses have been mixed, I guess.

Since I'm not part of the 'club' as yet, I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other about this gentleman's project. As others have suggested, there might be a way to make an interesting film without drawing unwanted attention to some of the touchier issues.

Other interesting things in the responses were the honest descriptions of some of the less attractive aspects of the lifestyle and also who comprises this group. Poking around CF, I'm often wondering "who ARE these people?!" and am tempted to think that the vast majority are those who made (forgive me) boatloads of money at fill-in-the-blank (corp. lawyer, stock market, dot.coms, etc.). But, as mentioned above, it's probably a much broader mix than an outsider would assume.

Anyway, just a few random thoughts ...
eastendsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:23   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Wind View Post
Okay.

Isn't Matzalan considered the Sea of Cortez? Ok, well, I am not beating back to Ensenada so I will find what I can down here. Thanks anyway.

And I generally don't need to avoid any shiny boats - they generally avoid me. A 26 ton black ferro ketch with paint falling off everywhere and no engine etc generally gets quite a wide berth when sailing around...

See you all out there...

James
mazatlan is mainland mexico and south of sea, north of puerto vallarta....
Old 10-07-2011, 13:31   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburma View Post
It should be noted that I found CF because I thought about making this film. Not the other way around.

I do not have my own boat. It's true. But I am researching and learning. That is where I'm at. This isn't something I have funding for or even a lot of support for. I'm just a guy with a dream of sailing around the world someday. For me, I'll be able to afford that only one way. Through making a movie or show about it. I'm just trying to figure my way through this world like the rest of you.

My trip with Zee was sooner than I had originally planned to go out. Great experience, but eye opening as well. I have a chance to sail again this July with an old professor of mine from college. So I'm doing that. I thought if I'm heading back east for this it would be nice to meet some more folk as part of that journey. Maybe I could stay with someone willing to extend some courtesy to me. No one is willing. Ok. No problem. I'm not hurt. You guys are living your life as you want. Good on ya.

That doesn't stop me from sailing on the Great Lakes in July. And it doesn't stop me from my long term goal of sailing around the world.

You guys are fond of saying to people that they should just jump into it and go. That's all I've done so far. To the best of my current ability. I'm young. I don't have much skills beyond my filmmaking and graphic design experience to make my dreams happen. So yes, to my benefit, I am using the tools I have to move forward on my goals.

I don't want to piss anyone off, and I certainly didn't mean to get everyone wound up by this thread. I'm just exploring every option I can to experience the world and all the places and people that this journey can bring to me.

I've been very honored to meet everyone I have so far. And I am looking forward to meeting many more through the years.

As for boats I'm thinking that eventually my buddy and I are going in on one together in a couple of years. Maybe I can get some backing for the film by then and we can get something truly great, maybe not. Then we will get something we can afford. We've been looking, but knowing we aren't really on the market yet has kept
me from getting into any sort of in depth discussions about it here. As you can see it's impossible not to get sucked into a million differing opinions once you start chatting it up here. I'm pretty set on looking at and riding on a bunch of different boats before I actually make a move towards purchasing one.

Anyhow. I greatly enjoy sailing. I am still very new to it and am learning. One of Zee's friends here in SD is in discussions with me to start hiring me on a part time basis to crew her Bob Perry designed La Fitte. What a gorgeous boat. Love it. Really hoping that works out and have had a blast helping her get her website up and running for her new charter business.

I hope I get to meet some of you out there someday. Regardless of wether or not you choose to be part of my documentary.

Cheers all!
hey come see me "I aint hidden from knowbody..knowbodys hidden from me..ill help you.DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote