Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 17:36   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Re: Looking for Boaters to Stay With late June and July

Having worked on documentaries and other film & video productions for over 30 years, I can attest to the fact that no matter how hard you try, no matter your good intentions; you WILL misinterpret some, if not much of what real life is like. Reality does not fit on a TV screen.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 18:01   #17

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinthere View Post
Having worked on documentaries and other film & video productions for over 30 years, I can attest to the fact that no matter how hard you try, no matter your good intentions; you WILL misinterpret some, if not much of what real life is like. Reality does not fit on a TV screen.
Think you've got it exactly right. If the uncomfortable realities of living on a 30-45' boat were made apparent, folks seeing the documentary would wonder why anyone in his or her right mind would want to do this crazy thing. Any documentary would necessarily have to make living on a boat much more delightful than it actually is.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 18:37   #18

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Looking for Boaters to Stay With late June and July

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Afraid I can't wish you luck. I think the less said about the liveaboard lifestyle the better. I don't think blogs hurt much. I haven't read any (yet), and I say that as a liveaboard of many years. A documentary, however, could catch the attention of city "fathers" and help to further restrict anchoring rights, trash disposal, dinghy docks, access to potable water, and more.

a little bit louder now

a little bit louder now
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 23:35   #19

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
Certainly my interest is more in the sailing, the general struggles and the joys of cruising and living on a boat. I don't want to get into the nitty gritty politics of it and I certainly am not doing a "how to" film on living aboard.
meburma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:58   #20

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Meburma, I hope you can get some takers, I will be looking forward to the completion of your project.
Mark1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:12   #21

I certainly don't speak for liveaboards generally. And nothing personal to you sir, but I can't see any good coming from your "project" for anyone but you. And particularly so if you plan to join the "under the radar" bunch. The term doesn't imply any illegal or shady activity. This has been discussed ad nauseum here and elsewhere. Do your homework. See the thread about the bullying homeowner in Miami. Any attention is bad attention for boat dwellers in my view.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:51   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
I certainly don't speak for liveaboards generally. And nothing personal to you sir, but I can't see any good coming from your "project" for anyone but you. And particularly so if you plan to join the "under the radar" bunch. The term doesn't imply any illegal or shady activity. This has been discussed ad nauseum here and elsewhere. Do your homework. See the thread about the bullying homeowner in Miami. Any attention is bad attention for boat dwellers in my view.
Nope... but there's folks here who like to think that... and the danger lies there...
as has been written in many posts/threads about boat bums/hobo's/losers etc... of which you could say I'm one...
the rich dudes who can afford the 'fixers' want us outa their 'nice vista' and back in the sweatshops where we belong...
I pay taxes on what I purchase not what I earn...
my 'home' country provides me with nothing but a Passport (Which I Buy) and after a working life that began in '65 and ended in '95 when I'd had enough and 'dropped out... they cannot even guarantee a basic pension...
Medical/SS/Pension have all eroded, wages have gone down and taxes up... some one on the breadline who fiddles a few quid gets fined and imprisoned...
Members of Parliment do the same for years and get 30% payrises...
Under the radar usually means 'no longer a drone'...
And before Pillum or someone else chirps in...
I owe my 'Home Country' nothing... it has done nothing to earn my loyalty... tho' it does hold my affection..
I don't advise caution for myself..
I'm arrogant enough to give two fingers to the world... there'll always be someone who needs my services in one form or another so survival is simple...
till I'm incapable.. But... even that is covered... by me

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:17   #23
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburma View Post
Certainly my interest is more in the sailing, the general struggles and the joys of cruising and living on a boat. I don't want to get into the nitty gritty politics of it and I certainly am not doing a "how to" film on living aboard.
LOL This is a kewl thread to read because meburma doesn't understand what the negative response is at all.
So someone who is in the situation should explain it carefully.
A debate is not a debate if one party can't understand the thrust of your argument.

Dave, I think you will find people here are saying they don't want the whole group of cruisers life made public.

If the land dwellers found they could sell up and live on the hook far cheaper than on land maybe 1 million people would flood the waterways.

Governments would then have to legislate more heavily to stop that as they lose taxes.

So I think what people here are saying is Don't tell anyone how good cruisers have it.
If you do it will be like killing the Goose that layed the golden eggs: There wont be any more cruisers.

All the best

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:23   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
LOL This is a kewl thread to read because meburma doesn't understand what the negative response is at all.
So someone who is in the situation should explain it carefully.
A debate is not a debate if one party can't understand the thrust of your argument.

Dave, I think you will find people here are saying they don't want the whole group of cruisers life made public.

If the land dwellers found they could sell up and live on the hook far cheaper than on land maybe 1 million people would flood the waterways.

Governments would then have to legislate more heavily to stop that as they lose taxes.

So I think what people here are saying is Don't tell anyone how good cruisers have it.
If you do it will be like killing the Goose that layed the golden eggs: There wont be any more cruisers.

All the best

Mark
Ahhhh... Thank the gods for Aussie straight talk...
And thats 1 million/country....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 02-06-2011, 07:53   #25

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
I'll admit that there's definitely aspects of living aboard I don't understand. And there's some ways of living that I probably don't want to.

I think one of the things that is being missed here is that I am not looking to make my documentary about cruisers as a primary focus, but as a small part of the larger journey that will hopefully expose me and anyone who watches my work (which may be a small amount to be sure) to the multitudes of personalities, ways of life and cultural differences there are in the world.

If so many cruisers out there want to stay out of the light so be it. I'll do my best to avoid you in the vast oceans of the world.

But really, if you all are trying to avoid government interaction, why post about your lifestyles into such a public and digitally trackable and archivable forum as this? Not picking a fight. Just trying to understand.
Old 02-06-2011, 14:43   #26

Nice try Mark but we all know how hopeless it is. This gent is trying to make his bones. I spent a few minutes on his website and it seems harmless enough. He's an ambitious young guy with minimal experience who hopes to circumnavigate on a boat he doesn't yet have; and is hopeful that a lot of people will be interested in his exploits. Particularly in a financial way. I doubt they will. Few sailors make a living writing about it but try telling that to a hopeful. I probably over-reacted in post #2.

David - do your thing, man, but the focus on your site is the travel. Why not stick to that? If you make it to the voyage part, you'll see soon enough how tough things are getting. I'm not talking about the sailing itself, but the getting somewhere, anchoring, taking your dinghy ashore, obtaining water, discarding your trash, doing the laundry, filling a propane bottle, getting around town to shop, reprovision, get parts ...the salt-encrusted reality of living aboard. Not living in a marina. As Murph mentioned above, it's much more hassle than people think. And getting more expensive by the day. That's the rub. I've now said the same thing three or four times and will shut up henceforth.
Old 02-06-2011, 15:18   #27

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

I think the simple point being made is there is a difference between a Cruiser and a Liveaboard, although both have the common theme of leaving the 'conventional' land life behind.

Boatman, HERE BLOODY HERE!!! I couldn't have put it better myself.
Old 02-06-2011, 16:06   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meburma View Post
I'll admit that there's definitely aspects of living aboard I don't understand. And there's some ways of living that I probably don't want to.

I think one of the things that is being missed here is that I am not looking to make my documentary about cruisers as a primary focus, but as a small part of the larger journey that will hopefully expose me and anyone who watches my work (which may be a small amount to be sure) to the multitudes of personalities, ways of life and cultural differences there are in the world.

If so many cruisers out there want to stay out of the light so be it. I'll do my best to avoid you in the vast oceans of the world.

But really, if you all are trying to avoid government interaction, why post about your lifestyles into such a public and digitally trackable and archivable forum as this? Not picking a fight. Just trying to understand.
OK.... lets try this another way...
From where I'm sitting your a young guy into movie making and on browsing around the net looking for a subject to latch onto you stumbled into CF....
Don't take long to get hooked... the main posters are controversial/argumentative and adventurous.. solo sailors, circumnavigators etc...
So... next you join and express your ambition to sail the world etc... and maybe make a documentary about it...
Next we have you sailing on someones boat... "wow... gee... this is great etc.."
Followed by a short trip with Zeehag...
who says your an OK guy... and maybe you are...
but Zee thinks I'm OK as well and she's never met me... so as far as that goes...
But the most salient point that's struck me is this...
Your passionate about your Documentary... but...
I've yet to hear you express a passion for a boat... type of boat you want.. hell I don't think your even looking for a boat...
If you were like some on here and bought a little 25ftr, then went sailing with a camera and found me anchored in a cove of the ICW somewhere... yup..
I'd likely tell you my tale quite happily.. into the cam... you'd be one of US.....
However... your not.. you likely live in a city apartment and I think this life is just a step on your ladder... one day in the future you may be one of the marina set... but a live-aboard in OUR sense of the word I think not..
Lets face it... we're on the water to be left alone... not blasted into every sitting room...
Sorry mate... your doing it all wrong... and it'll come out that way to should you ever find any takers...
PS; you don't have to avoid me... just leave your camera in the bag...

Old 02-06-2011, 16:32   #29

It should be noted that I found CF because I thought about making this film. Not the other way around.

I do not have my own boat. It's true. But I am researching and learning. That is where I'm at. This isn't something I have funding for or even a lot of support for. I'm just a guy with a dream of sailing around the world someday. For me, I'll be able to afford that only one way. Through making a movie or show about it. I'm just trying to figure my way through this world like the rest of you.

My trip with Zee was sooner than I had originally planned to go out. Great experience, but eye opening as well. I have a chance to sail again this July with an old professor of mine from college. So I'm doing that. I thought if I'm heading back east for this it would be nice to meet some more folk as part of that journey. Maybe I could stay with someone willing to extend some courtesy to me. No one is willing. Ok. No problem. I'm not hurt. You guys are living your life as you want. Good on ya.

That doesn't stop me from sailing on the Great Lakes in July. And it doesn't stop me from my long term goal of sailing around the world.

You guys are fond of saying to people that they should just jump into it and go. That's all I've done so far. To the best of my current ability. I'm young. I don't have much skills beyond my filmmaking and graphic design experience to make my dreams happen. So yes, to my benefit, I am using the tools I have to move forward on my goals.

I don't want to piss anyone off, and I certainly didn't mean to get everyone wound up by this thread. I'm just exploring every option I can to experience the world and all the places and people that this journey can bring to me.

I've been very honored to meet everyone I have so far. And I am looking forward to meeting many more through the years.

As for boats I'm thinking that eventually my buddy and I are going in on one together in a couple of years. Maybe I can get some backing for the film by then and we can get something truly great, maybe not. Then we will get something we can afford. We've been looking, but knowing we aren't really on the market yet has kept
me from getting into any sort of in depth discussions about it here. As you can see it's impossible not to get sucked into a million differing opinions once you start chatting it up here. I'm pretty set on looking at and riding on a bunch of different boats before I actually make a move towards purchasing one.

Anyhow. I greatly enjoy sailing. I am still very new to it and am learning. One of Zee's friends here in SD is in discussions with me to start hiring me on a part time basis to crew her Bob Perry designed La Fitte. What a gorgeous boat. Love it. Really hoping that works out and have had a blast helping her get her website up and running for her new charter business.

I hope I get to meet some of you out there someday. Regardless of wether or not you choose to be part of my documentary.

Cheers all!
Old 02-06-2011, 16:47   #30
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Keep me in mind when I return to the states. I am not offering a berth, but I am offering my time, and a wee bit of sailing on S.F. Bay. If I was you I'd get me some lessons, and not depend on others to carry you forward to your goal. BEST WISHES.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote