Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2011, 05:34   #31

Re: Looking for Advice on a Life Decision . . .

In my experience, at least 90% of the time, when someone comes to a forum like this to ask a question like yours, they already know what they want to do. What they are hoping for in asking the forum is to find some people who will give them permission--who will tell them that it is okay to do what they want to do. Maybe you're the exception, but I'd be surprised.

You don't need our permission. You don't need anyone's permission. You're still very young. Life hasn't passed you by, and isn't about to. You've got time. You just need to decide what you want to do with that time. No one else can tell you.

Personally, I would stick it out and collect the pension. But that's me, and I'm not you. This is your decision, and no one else's. Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 07:03   #32

Boat: Sceptre 41

First off thanks for your service.
I think it is important for you to know what you want to do. Cruising can be wonderful but there are many people both solo and couples who sell the boat after a few months or a year because it wasn't what they expected. To say cruising is an "end" is not true for most people. Solo sailing can be very lonely. There are not that many solo women out there. Cruising couples can be so stressed out by being together all the time that their relationship suffers. OTOH there are people who solo sail to the end of their days and couples who have been out cruising for 18 years. I think the key for these people is that they have their lives together before they leave. Not in the sense that they have perfect lives but in the sense that they have a good idea of what direction they want their lives to go and are making plans to get there.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 07:09   #33
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Smelling the roses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloiverinsd View Post
I've injuried myself a few time over the years(ankle/back) so I'm concerned about what kind of shape I will be in at retirement. My current job(military) doesn't allow me too much time to smell the roses we are always busy, at least where I am now. I have had easier post though where life is more enjoyable.

If I wait until I retire I will get medical as well, but then again I believe I would get some sort of veteran medical if I was to get out now as well.

I've crunched the numbers and as long as I work along the way I would be fine and around 60 I could look forward to my IRA and possibly social security, but that would be like 30 years away as well.

thanks
Ohhh military! I was wondering how this would play out.

I don't see how you can ignore a military pension and VA pensions. I know you love sailing, but does the SD mean South Dakota? You aren't going to be able to do much sailing there. Here's my advice based on a 65 year perspective.

Find something else you love meantime to get you through those eight years. Take up glass-blowing, or pottery, or teach yourself to play the banjo or fiddle. Find something that can grab you and enrich what leisure time. If it's an instrument you can squeeze it in to relatively short perios of free time.

Pick something that will bring you into contact with new people you don't currently know. In other words, don't just wait 8 years to enrich your life. Keep your long-term plan, but find ways to make the path to that point more palatable. And banjos/fiddles will fit on even the smallest boat if you want them badly enough ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 07:17   #34

Location: wherever the boat is---from central amer to canada....so far...
Boat: defever trawler 41-nomad

$1400-1500/mo. in 8-9 years?? the money will be worthless then if things keep going badly in the u.s. at 29 you're still healthy (i presume) and young enough to go back to work as a young man if you find you don't like the cruising life after 5-10 yrs.

i say sell the lot and head out... you'll have a ball!!
defever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 07:53   #35

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Read Beebe's Voyaging Under Power, Lord, how many times have I said that? He is an inspiration to what you can accomplish after a full military life with an adequate pension.
Half the world lives on $1500 a year or less, but you won't like it.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 08:08   #36

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Re: Looking for advice on a life decision....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
My advice - hang in for the pension. Save as much as you can in the meantime... its only 8 more years. But have some fun too, in the interim.
DITTO!!!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 08:18   #37

Whatever path you follow, the 8-9 years will soon be in your past.
Boats are like Sirens of Greek mythology. Boats are seductresses. After a time a sailor will bond with them. They are as enchanting as a women. Get a strong heavy rope, and tie yourself to your job. In time the siren will retreat, and never will you have to say, "I could have had a retirement check." Don't listen to the music of those who have been lured. They want you to join them. As enchanting as it is portrayed...without an income, it is worse than a shipwreck on a dark rocky coast.

Use the 8-9 years, to find a real women, and go from there.
Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 08:30   #38

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Hey everyone... I'm new here. I was movtivated to join to forum mainly to ask for input on a very simple, but complicated question.

Alright, so here goes. I'm debating whether or not to sell everything and go cruising or continue on my current course. Sailing, traveling and adventureing are my passions in life and pretty much all I want to do. There is really only one thing keeping me from doing it and that is my job. I don't like my current job, but the pay and benefits are good and in 8.5 years I can get a retirement pension. I'm single and have no children so it's only me here no one else to really think about affecting. You only live once right and what if I die tomorrow? How much security(money) do you really need in life? Am I wasting my youth? I guess it all comes down to how will I feel about this decision 10-15 years from now? I know it wouldn't be so appealing if I enjoyed my life a bit more, but my job is pretty consuming and is basically my life for the most part as I see it.

Anybody been in or currently in this situation? Any info, experience or guidance anyone would like to share is welcome and thanks for reading.
You're 29 -- what the hell do you need benefits for? Go now. Make money when you need it. If you wait til you're 35 you'll wait til you're 45 (and on and on) there is ALWAYS a reason to wait -- and a rational one at that. Plus, (if you need a rational reason to go now) some chics dig a 30 y/o single guy inn a boat . . . not so many think the same of a 50 y/o . . ..
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 08:33   #39

Boat: Pearson 26

I think Pete7 said it best. The pension is worth its weight in gold, and eight years is not a long time. My only advice would be that WHEN (not if) you find that "special someone" to share the rest of your life with, make sure they share the same dream(s). If you don't, then neither of you will achieve your individual goals, and both of you will be unhappy. This advice works whether you plan to sail around the world, or you want the little house with the picket fence, 2.5 kids and a dog.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 09:41   #40

Re: Smelling the roses?

Quote:
I've injuried myself a few time over the years(ankle/back) so I'm concerned about what kind of shape I will be in at retirement. My current job(military) doesn't allow me too much time to smell the roses we are always busy, at least where I am now. I have had easier post though where life is more enjoyable.

If I wait until I retire I will get medical as well, but then again I believe I would get some sort of veteran medical if I was to get out now as well.

I've crunched the numbers and as long as I work along the way I would be fine and around 60 I could look forward to my IRA and possibly social security, but that would be like 30 years away as well.

thanks
So you are looking at military retirement in 8 years? might be worth hanging on to. WIth the medical coverage it's value is worth alot more than the $1400-1500. Also, dont plan on "working along the way", it just doesnt work out much.... unless you mean stopping somewhere in the US and getting a job for a while. The unemployment rate in third world countries is as much as 50% or more. Even if you could go to work there, you would get nothing in pay. I've heard people say they think they can work along the way for other boaters, it doesnt work that way unfortunately, boaters do their own work, or help each other out. Sounds like you've got a nice boat and it is set up. If you can wait 8 years you'll be in pretty good shape for a long cruise.
Then again, if you dont go now your life could change in a lot of ways; meet a partner who hates boats, medical problems, etc etc. One of life's hard choices. While I dont regret going cruising when I did, If I had hung in on my last job 5 more years I would have added a lot of money. Quitting and going in your prime earning years is harder financially than going at 29.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 09:51   #41
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

"WHATTTT? ARE YOU NUTS?????"

*grin*

Himself walked away from an early retirement a few years early.. and has been regretting it for 20 years...

I have been helping him regret it for 7 years...

Finish up your stint and secure the pension. 38 may seem ancient now, but honest it's still plenty young for adventure.

And if you are not having fun then get busy and figure out why not and go have some fun. No reason I can think of that a healthy person, with a boat, shouldn't be having a blast even if he does have to work as well...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 10:31   #42

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
I would finish that 8 years. Someday you'll be glad you did. Yes a lot can happen in 8 years but being able to take care of yourself is important. (financially). 37 is not old to start a life of adventure. The medical is worth it too. One issue can set you back to zero. Take your leave at one time and take mini-cruises near your boat. Look into where you want to go on your adventures and what you'd like to do/see while there.

While you work those years stop and smell the roses. Find a hobby and explore around where ever you are. Work wouldn't be work if it was fun. It's something most of us have to do to achieve our dreams. Otherwise we'd all be spoiled brats holding our silver spoons wanting more, more, more. Work for your dream and then head out on your adventure. If something happens along the way you'll adjust. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 12:00   #43

Boat: It will be an Island Packet 38 most probably

I live on a pension that I will receive for the rest of my life and my husband is still nervous about leaving. We will need to borrow to get our boat and we don't have a medical plan but my pension is twice as big as the one you'll get. If you leave now, how much will you get per month? Will you get a medical plan? Will you get that pension for the rest of your life? If so and you get to live untill you're 100 years old, your life will be secured and you will be able to come back to live on dry land with almost no worries.

8 years when you are 29 may seem like a lifetime but when you are 100, it is nothing. I understand that you are eager to start your new life but what about making sure that life will last for as long as you want it.

How do you see yourself in your golden years? Grey and happy on the deck of your boat in a marina or scraching for every penny you can get your hands on. As mentionned above, that pension is the rest of your life.

Missou is offline   Reply With Quote