Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 18:58   #1

Arrow Looking for a new home but which one?

Hi all. I am currently in the market for a sailboat. I am just launching my young adults into adulthood and it's time to focus on me. I have lived aboard in the past. Once on a power boat and then a couple of sailboats. The last one was a project boat a Willard 8 ton World Cruiser. Due to unforeseen circumstances my ex and I had to stop in the restoration process and sell her. I want to find a sailboat that I can go anywhere with. I wish I could find my Willard again because I adored her even in her gutted state. Does anyone have any recommendations for a sailboat that will take me anywhere that is not terribly expensive? I'm looking around the $5-10k price range but I will spend more for the perfect boat. I will never be sailing alone but it should be able to be single handed in case I am unable to help.
KimmiRahne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 19:11   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Looking for a new home but which one?

Steady Hand's $30k & Under "finds" thread is a great one. Though on your budget it's going to be tough. Look on sailboatlistings.com & craigslist

Also spend some serious time walking the docks, & if you see something that strikes your fancy, get in touch with the owner. Through the marina, & or via leaving a note inside of a weighted ziploc bag. Try Write-In-The-Rain paper, it's waterproof.
Especially if she looks as if she's not been used in a while. You can do the same in boatyards. I know a guy that got a Ranger 37 for $1k that way. She needed new rigging & such, but still...

For that kind of coin, I'd concentrate on the S. end of the Sound, & up towards Anacortes, etc. And over on the Peninsula(s). Places that are far enough off of the beaten track that boats which are for sale get less interest due to location, & thus sell for less.
It couldn't hurt to look north of the border too, given the exchange rate. Greater BC, Van. Island, Naniamo... You see smokin deals in those areas regularly.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 19:51   #3

Boat: Westsail 28

Here is a possible , I'm sure you could get it for far below the asking price . It's a fixer upper . Good luck !
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/6133582908.html
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 21:59   #4

UNCIVILIZED I don't know why I didn't think about B.C. I've been scouring craigslist. Now I can search up there too. Thank you for all of the great tips!
Old 11-06-2017, 22:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
Here is a possible , I'm sure you could get it for far below the asking price . It's a fixer upper . Good luck !
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/6133582908.html
Oh she has a lot of possibility! She could be done up really nice! Thank you!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:15   #6

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Give Port of Bellingham a call, they manage both Squalicum Harbor and Blaine. They always have boats that are in default on dockage and they are selling them. Most of them look mildew-y and dirty but one guy bought a 30 footer for $5K and fixed her up and sailed away. Good luck!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 13:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Give Port of Bellingham a call, they manage both Squalicum Harbor and Blaine. They always have boats that are in default on dockage and they are selling them. Most of them look mildew-y and dirty but one guy bought a 30 footer for $5K and fixed her up and sailed away. Good luck!
Thank you! That's great advice! ✌️🏻👌🏻