Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2017, 05:29   #1

Lofrans Windlass Albatros

On my sailboat (Malo 140) I have a Lofrans windlass (model Albatros). When trying to remove the clutch nut I did put too much force that I broke part of the interior of the drum. This is now beyond repair and unfortunately this model is not supported anymore by Lofrans. Is there anyone on this forum that has a Lofrans Albatros drum (Lofrans item nr 362) available?

Thank you
Eddy
edventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 07:06   #2

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: Lofrans Windlass Albatros

How quickly do you need it? My windlass nut is frozen and I am working to disassemble it. Hope to get it apart in the next two weeks. If mine is not repairable then I should have a drum for you.

Just to get your input, which way did you turn your nut to remove it? Clockwise or counterclockwise?

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 07:32   #3

Steve,
To unlock the nut you should turn anticlockwise. In my case it appeared that the outside of the nut and the innerside of the drumshaft were corroded.
For quite some time I dadded WD40 or similar product to this area but with no success. Than I drilled a small whole in the top of the nut (2layers) until I reached the shaft/thread of the shaft and also here I injected quite some "rust solver"
In the end I did put too much force to the nut that broke the inner part of the drum.
I was able to remove the drum with the nut still attached. The thread on the RVS shaft was very clean. Now turning the drum upside down I was able to hammer the nut with wuite some force from the drum
My advise to you: take your time to put a rust remover betwen nut and shaft. Alternatively apply a lot of heat (to nut only/ alu is quite sensitive to heat).

Succes,; always available for advise

Eddy
Old 15-09-2017, 13:21   #4

Thanks for the info, it is very helpful.

In my case a ferry caught my anchor and puled 100+ feet of chain backwards through the windlass, likely breaking internal parts along the way. Once I get it apart I will now if I have a usable drum or not. Like I said, this will be a few weeks.

Thanks again, and I'll let you know how this goes.

Steve
Old 16-10-2017, 13:08   #5

Hi Steve

I noticed your post on the windlass today. Referring to your reply on Sept 15, I was wondering whether you were able to "rescue" the Albatros drum.

Regards

Eddy
Old 17-11-2017, 04:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edventure View Post
Hi Steve

I noticed your post on the windlass today. Referring to your reply on Sept 15, I was wondering whether you were able to "rescue" the Albatros drum.

Regards

Eddy
Eddy,

It looks like I will be able to repair my Albatros windlass, so I will not have a drum for you. Sorry!

I was at the machine shop today since I need to buy several bearings and oil seals for the windlass. These are all commercial items that are readily available, even for my 30 year old windlass. While I was at the shop, I looked at some of the other projects they had going on and I was surprised at the level of skill they had at machining new parts or repairing parts that (to me) seemed totally destroyed. Perhaps you can have a local machinist repair your drum for a reasonable fee. It may be worth a shot. Best of luck!

Steve
Old 17-11-2017, 06:24   #7

Thanks for the update.
Good to here that you make progress. Indeed machine shop do provide a lot of opportunities. I do have a plan B for restoring my drum. I am currently replacing seals, bearings and my (hydraulic) motor.

Eddy

Tags
lofrans, wind, windlass