Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 20:18   #31

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Re: Living Aboard in NSW: The Fast Track to being an Outlaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky View Post
Hey Shane,
Call me a cynic but the water police are really just a state sanctioned protection racket.

Twice I needed their help. Both times they never bothered showing, did not log the call and couldn't give a flying *&^& about it. However, if they need their quota for the monthly budget, they'll be onto ya.

In Qld, they are the same.

Best police money can buy!
I know they do some real rescues and have the unpleasant task of recovering bodies etc, but when it comes to the nuts and bolts stuff their boats seem to spend much of their time abandoned at the wharf. Likewise, the one time I needed a tow, as their is no 24/7 volunteer rescue in Newcastle, I was expecting to see them come to my aid. Instead a friendly chap from the Ports Authority turned up. I don't know if this is a funding thing or a symptom of complacency?

I am still wondering too if the officer was just pissed about getting complaints about me being on the harbour causing him to go that bit too far? The vibe is really like you are not welcome here unless you pay for a full freight mooring at the "Cruising Yacht Club" (sic). The fact I constantly use my boat including that mysterious ancohor thing is probably seem as a threat.
Old 11-09-2011, 20:36   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Where is the courtesy buoy at Swansea ? I have anchored before on the North shore opposite the RSL and didn't see anything.
On the ocean side there are three courtesy buoys on the Southern side off the entrance to black Neds Bay. I am sure two are blue then there is a big pink looking one closer to shore for bigger boats. All are clearly marked 24 hr limit.

Even if you have a deeper draught boat or don't want to enter the lake you could tie up here and easily use the tender to run over the protected bay to hit the shops etc. There is a big power pole just off the beach in Black Ned's to chain the tender around if necessary. I would be very cautious rowing the short distance as the tides run very hard. Likewise, I am not a huge fan of the laske side buoys, which are dangerously closer to the bridge and often hard to secure single-handed. Best bet it to play the tides.

As above, the shops and bottle shop are only a few hundred metre walk, which makes the stop-over a lot more convenient than Newcastle where there are NO courtesy buoys.
Old 11-09-2011, 20:51   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
Well Shayne, that' my little mud hole you're talking about. I'm sorry that was your experience.....,,,,

Greg
Part of the reason I might have got "emotional" was due the fact I lived at Blacksmith's till I lost my father. The first time I ever went fishing was with my dad under the bridge. I was a similar age to my daughter who I had aboard when both negative incidents have happened to me with authorities on the lake.

Then my grandmother's family is from Belmont and I summer holidayed as a kid at Marmong Point doing a lot of rowing and a bit of dingy sailing. Likewise, I get a happy grin every time I go past that plaque that says Ivan Welsh MP opened the dock at the Toronto Royal Motor Yacht Club. I worked for him a few times and he was a top bloke!
Old 11-09-2011, 20:56   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post

I am still wondering too if the officer was just pissed about getting complaints about me being on the harbour causing him to go that bit too far? The vibe is really like you are not welcome here unless you pay for a full freight mooring at the "Cruising Yacht Club" (sic). The fact I constantly use my boat including that mysterious anchor thing is probably seem as a threat.
This comment as posted above is about the port of Newcastle NOT Lake Macquarie. Once on Lake Maquarie there are heaps of public jetties and better priced private ones with power etc.
Old 11-09-2011, 21:14   #35

Whats the go for foreign yachts? Does the government expect them to check into a hotel if they want to stay in a location for more than a day?
Old 11-09-2011, 21:38   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Whats the go for foreign yachts? Does the government expect them to check into a hotel if they want to stay in a location for more than a day?
The NSW Maritime Service Board have an "On the Voyage" clause for boats that are genuinely cruising (OK - I m heading further North within the week, which is well short of the 21 days per port without an official mooring!).

Biggest problem for foreign boats are the draconian Custom's Regulations and exorbitant charges for entry inspections etc, which has been covered in other gripe threads.

Hey, this really makes the East Coast of Australia look like such a friendly place? With all the BS you have to go through no wonder so many ordinary people have a negative attitude about boat ownership?
Old 11-09-2011, 21:54   #37

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Sounds like the guy who was fining the commuter boats in Pittwater for not having oars has moved north again.
I believe he started in the harbour and was then moved to Pittwater.
We were warned about him about a year ago, most of the water police are pretty easy going. One even asked my why I didn't keep my old flares to let off with all the dickheads on the queens B day weekend.
How far north are you going Shane?
I'm heading south from Bowen in a weeks time so I might see you on the way down to Sydney?
Old 11-09-2011, 22:01   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Sounds like the guy who was fining the commuter boats in Pittwater for not having oars has moved north again.
I believe he started in the harbour and was then moved to Pittwater.
We were warned about him about a year ago, most of the water police are pretty easy going. One even asked my why I didn't keep my old flares to let off with all the dickheads on the queens B day weekend.
How far north are you going Shane?
I'm heading south from Bowen in a weeks time so I might see you on the way down to Sydney?
I am sure we will pass soon, so I will keep a look out for you. At the moment I am using an on-land computer while looking out the door watching the weather clear. Before I leave - after Friday as the superstition goes - I will have to recharge my mobile net so I can keep in touch with others and the weather.
Old 11-09-2011, 22:03   #39

Hey, I am also sitting about thinking what next? Maybe a carbon tax on sailing because all that pollution is making the air thicker and us move faster? It is about how absurd things seem to be getting around here with the user must pay mentality!
Old 11-09-2011, 22:31   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane

I am sure we will pass soon, so I will keep a look out for you. At the moment I am using an on-land computer while looking out the door watching the weather clear. Before I leave - after Friday as the superstition goes - I will have to recharge my mobile net so I can keep in touch with others and the weather.
I guess we need a nice westerly to satisfy our wind requirements, I'm dreading days of southerlies all the way down the coast.
Old 11-09-2011, 23:11   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
I guess we need a nice westerly to satisfy our wind requirements, I'm dreading days of southerlies all the way down the coast.
I lucked a good NE heading south a week or so back. It blew for a few days. It is amazing how many miles you can clear with favorable winds.

On the other hand, I did Stockton bight a week or so earlier in what was supposed to be NW winds tending W. When I got out there the pure westerly funneling down the valley started gusting to gale force and the seas it was creating were running into pre-existing SW slop. It was one long cold night! Hopefully you will get as better run.

Good thing too was the bar at Swansea was fine this Saturday on a decent SW seas. I would be much more cautious on a big NE when Newcastle would be a better option.
Old 11-09-2011, 23:21   #42

Would be nice to get 3 days of NE!
I once spent 6 hours bashing into a southerly and then gave up and spend 3 days in Newcastle.
Old 12-09-2011, 00:24   #43

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

So if it's so bad in NSW for liveaboarders, how come on Lake Macquarie at Marmong there is the worst looking yacht I've ever seen with a noisy generator, paint peeling off into the lake, crap everywhere, no mast, no scissors, deodorant or razorblades on board (by the look of the captain). It's beem there for yonks. They probably can't move him on because I guess theres no fuel to power the no working engine. If he can liveaboard in NSW anyone can.

Greg

Greg
Old 12-09-2011, 00:49   #44

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
So if it's so bad in NSW for liveaboarders, how come on Lake Macquarie at Marmong there is the worst looking yacht I've ever seen with a noisy generator, paint peeling off into the lake, crap everywhere, no mast, no scissors, deodorant or razorblades on board (by the look of the captain). It's beem there for yonks. They probably can't move him on because I guess theres no fuel to power the no working engine. If he can liveaboard in NSW anyone can.

Greg

Greg
I could be wrong but Shane said you mast have a ( 21 days per port without an official mooring!). so you can live there if you have one? thats the way I read it

Old 12-09-2011, 05:47   #45

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Geeez you guys are making it difficult for me to want to move back home someday. Aus is sounding more and more like a f@cked up nanny state. I am mentally prepared to deal with the speed camera taxation, but comments about police harassment of motorcycles and jumping on cruisers really makes me wonder if it is really worth returning.

no no.. its far from that.. With gillard running the joint we dont really have any government working at all...lol
Closed Thread

Tags
living aboard