Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2016, 19:40   #46
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Liveaboard cruiser to be and retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Uh...dude...you own a boat and a beast at that...
Blame it on the teenage kids....
If it was just my wife and I would would have never sold our Pearson 365 Ketch, but alas...I have a floating Condo...
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 19:55   #47

Cruising is not for everyone, depending on your cruising style there are risks involved. Many people do not like dealing with risk and while many dream only a few actually do. It's really not a case of having all your ducks in a row, I've known people that set a savings plan and when they achieved it they upped the new target, they will go no where but they love to talk about leaving and that's OK because they have lots of company. If you are one of the couples that don't deal well with risk, don't feel bad as you have lots of company. There are many other safer options to retire and spend your life in comfort, cruising will introduce you to the highest highs and the lowest lows....it's not for everyone!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 03:51   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Cruising is not for everyone, depending on your cruising style there are risks involved. Many people do not like dealing with risk and while many dream only a few actually do. It's really not a case of having all your ducks in a row, I've known people that set a savings plan and when they achieved it they upped the new target, they will go no where but they love to talk about leaving and that's OK because they have lots of company. If you are one of the couples that don't deal well with risk, don't feel bad as you have lots of company. There are many other safer options to retire and spend your life in comfort, cruising will introduce you to the highest highs and the lowest lows....it's not for everyone!
I don't have verified statistical data related to the risks of cruising, but I don't think that the most frequent risks are related to actually departing for a life underway.

When I recall events where people lost their vessels from the time we began cruising in 1971, most of these losses were storm damage while the boat was at a dock, fire, or a mistake encountering rock or submerged jetties at an inlet. These were in their local areas and not long distance cruising events.

When I recall events where cruisers lost their lives over the same period these events were also in harbors or inlets and not during long distance offshore passages. I remember several lost at breaking inlets and one run over by a barge while anchored at night.

I should add that, though we are long time cruisers, we are not long distance cruisers. We've been poking about from Maine to the Bahamas for many years without much more than 100 mile hops. The risks that I see are influenced by where I cruise.

I think the actual "risks" that impede potential liveaboard cruisers are the perceived vulnerability of not having an established home on land or a conventional address or being surrounded by a great volume of belongings. Real security is more closely tied to good judgement instead of brick walls.
Old 27-05-2016, 05:36   #49

Boat: Rafiki 37

I agree Hudson. To me, I think the risk people see (and the fear) is the risk of stepping off the easy, well-worn path that most of us live. It's the fear of doing something slightly differently than your peers. It's the fear of going against the grain.

The actual risks of sailing and cruising are, by any measure, quite small. The most dangerous thing most people do in the sailing life is driving to their boat. Now THAT is a truly dangerous activity. Sailing around there world, by comparison, is vastly safer.

I think the risk Robert speaks of is meta-physical. It is the fear of doing something different.
Old 27-05-2016, 05:56   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I agree Hudson. To me, I think the risk people see (and the fear) is the risk of stepping off the easy, well-worn path that most of us live. It's the fear of doing something slightly differently than your peers. It's the fear of going against the grain.

The actual risks of sailing and cruising are, by any measure, quite small. The most dangerous thing most people do in the sailing life is driving to their boat. Now THAT is a truly dangerous activity. Sailing around there world, by comparison, is vastly safer.

I think the risk Robert speaks of is meta-physical. It is the fear of doing something different.
Yes, of course it is perceived risk, the risk of doing something different. There is some physical risk but probably not any more than land life. Most people don't really realize that Governments, Churches and Industry use fear to control people and it becomes very hard for most folks to get off the tread mill and do something different. For all the people that talk about it and set plans and dates, most don't go. They find some reason to put things off, you name it, I've heard so many stories of why we can't go etc. There are actually only a few brave souls that just do it and those people are what makes cruising so much fun. You are surrounded by risk takers like yourself, ass kickers, people that get out and make things happen and these people are delightful company. Now don't think for a moment that you have to be a cruiser to have these qualities, that's simply not true but it separates the dreamers from the doers in any walk of life.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 06:48   #51
cruiser

Perceived risk is a BIG deal for most people. When I show friends and co-workers the video I posted on YouTube and here on CF a couple of months ago, it scares them to death. One couple who sailed the same area last season on our boat with us, said "oh my God, I'm not doing that again, I'd be so sick." When they were with us it was a beautiful, sunny two weeks, but I doubt if they'll take the chance ever again. Their reaction really surprised me. We (My wife, daughter and I) were never in any danger during that gale, But for most people these days, Hollyweird is their reality. They watch movies like "The Perfect Storm" or see someone being rescued on the news...... and that's it "Nope, it's much too dangerous."

I'm also surprised that I can't watch my own video on YouTube here in Italy due to international copywrite laws.

Here's the CF link: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eo-160708.html
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 09:34   #52

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Actually, I/m glad they watch "The Perfect Storm". Makes life quieter for the rest of us.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 10:19   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The actual risks of sailing and cruising are, by any measure, quite small.
In particular, getting back to the original topic of this thread, the financial risks of the cruising lifestyle are--for all practical purposes--no different from those of a land-based lifestyle.

Can your boat catch on fire? Yes. Can your house catch on fire? Yes. Can your boat be lost in a severe storm? Yes. Can your house be lost in a severe storm? Yes. Can your boat sink? Yes. Can your house sink? Well, now here is where a lot of people might think the answer is "no," when in fact it is "yes." I live in Pasco County, Florida. This county has one of the highest incidences of sinkholes in all of North America. I know people who have had their house sink into the ground!

Of course, you can buy insurance against all of these risks--for your boat just as well as for your house. The financial risks are no different.

Now, if your fear is that you won't be able to earn a living, then that's not a function of life on a boat. That is a function of the nomadic lifestyle. It is a problem for people who travel around on land, as much as for people who travel around on water. And it can be solved in exactly the same way: stop moving, fix in one place where you are legally allowed to work, and find a job.

So any financial fears are not really about boats, and they are not really about cruising. That is really just an excuse that allows you to avoid a scary change.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 10:21   #54
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
So any financial fears are not really about boats, and they are not really about cruising. That is really just an excuse that allows you to avoid a scary change.
Bingo...
We will go to great lengths to justify our fears and be comfortable in the life we know, rather than the dream that could be.
Old 27-05-2016, 12:34   #55
cruiser

People ask me all the time "how do you do it, you must be rich or something,". "I could never do that." My answer is usually short... "We don't own a house, we're not house poor." Their eyes kinda glaze over like I've committed some kind of American sin by not buying into the every American must own a house, American Dream stuff.

I then tell them that I consider owning a house to be the American nightmare because it anchors people in one place to a job, chores, finances, responsibilities. Instead, we put the same amount into a boat.

It's really that simple.

They usually reply..... "You don't own a house? Where are you going to live someday?" Then I tell them, "my apartment or my boat."

I don't need a house.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 12:41   #56
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ah...
Then there is the Debt Monster.
Car Loan...buy an older car and pay cash and save on insurance also
Credit Cards...stop buying things you don't have the money to pay for with cash today. Use that credit card interest savings to fund your boat projects.

I've sat down with several friends who are "rich but broke" and have it all by the "American Dream" standards, but they spend 100% of their weekly or monthly paycheck...100%.

When I start showing them how we did it...how we saved and went cruising and now live frugally but like Kings on our boat...I too have seen the eyes glaze over. It's like I'm speaking a foreign language when all I'm doing is give them some Dave Ramsey common sense tough love.
Old 27-05-2016, 13:50   #57

Sailorchic34 and SvThirdDay - I've noticed you are liveaboard in California.
I am currently in the preparation to switch from "home-land" to liveaboard (in the bay area), and one question is the "official address" for DMV for example (i'd like keep the motorcycle). Do you use use a mail forwarding company with a street address? such as mailmoreca.com, mailnetwork.com, etc.
How do you handle, the "official" address in CA ?
wavestimulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 14:13   #58

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Ah...
I've sat down with several friends who are "rich but broke" and have it all by the "American Dream" standards, but they spend 100% of their weekly or monthly paycheck...100%.
Color me guilty of that one, but we are working hard to break that cycle ASAP. House, cars, toys, belongings that are never used are all going on the block very soon.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 14:39   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
People ask me all the time "how do you do it, you must be rich or something,". "I could never do that." My answer is usually short... "We don't own a house, we're not house poor." Their eyes kinda glaze over like I've committed some kind of American sin by not buying into the every American must own a house, American Dream stuff.

I then tell them that I consider owning a house to be the American nightmare because it anchors people in one place to a job, chores, finances, responsibilities. Instead, we put the same amount into a boat.

It's really that simple.

They usually reply..... "You don't own a house? Where are you going to live someday?" Then I tell them, "my apartment or my boat."

I don't need a house.
'seems to be a lot of wisdom here. I get the same responses about not owning a house,.. or any real estate, ... or a car. People are often surprised that many cruisers only own ONE thing that is not on board their boat and that's a healthy financial account. For some reason this life is considered a risk, but it can be more financially stable.
Old 27-05-2016, 14:51   #60

I totally agree with not having house car, etc. but regarding the question about the "official street" address for DMV was more thinking about going to work, and renting a car for example, in the sf bay area, public transportations are not always possible to go to work.
wavestimulus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, liveaboard, men, retirement