Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2014, 03:58   #1

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe
Lee Sails Hong Kong vs Lee Sails Canada

I believe that Lee Sails Canada simply sell sails made by Lee Sails Hong Kong.

Am I correct?

Any details?

Bill
BeBe
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Lee Sails Hong Kong vs Lee Sails Canada

Yes, Lee Sails has a centralized production loft in Hong Kong, with sales offices around the world.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 04:32   #3

Yes, I know that. I am referring to Welcome to LeeSails.ca based in Canada and makes no mention of the China affiliation.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:53   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

It is one and the same thing - all of their sails are manufactured in China.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
It is one and the same thing - all of their sails are manufactured in China.
I am sure that they are all manufactured in the China facility, but I was wondering if someone knew the exact relationship between the Hong Kong office and this Canadian thing. For instance is it a licensing deal, a sales rep deal, etc.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 12-02-2014, 06:10   #6
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I believe that the company was actually started by a Canadian many years ago. I wouldn't worry about the sails being manufactured in China - I ordered a new mainsail from the UK Halsey loft in Toronto, Canada a few years ago and while the measurements and design were done by the staff here, the sail was manufactured in China using U- made Challenge dacron, etc. The workmanship was quite good.

I have no personal experience with Lee sails, however, although I know a number of people who have been very satisfied with them.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:29   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
I believe that the company was actually started by a Canadian many years ago. I wouldn't worry about the sails being manufactured in China - I ordered a new mainsail from the UK Halsey loft in Toronto, Canada a few years ago and while the measurements and design were done by the staff here, the sail was manufactured in China using U- made Challenge dacron, etc. The workmanship was quite good.

I have no personal experience with Lee sails, however, although I know a number of people who have been very satisfied with them.

Brad
Brad,

I just received an email from Lee Sails Canada Welcome to LeeSails.ca. Although the website gives no indication the people at Lee Sails Canada confirmed that they are the Lee Sails Hong Kong "agent for east coast of USA and all of Canada except BC province."

Regarding sails made in China, you should be aware that there is more than one manufacturer. For instance China Sail Factory (CSF) is a high quality manufacturer that produces sails for many name brands and local sail lofts. Lee Sails is known for manufacturing the lowest cost sails available anywhere in the world. Keeping in mind that what you pay for is generally what you get.

My purpose is posing the question in the first place is that Lee Sails Canada does not claim any affiliation with Lee Sails Hong Kong on their website, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY uses CSF as a statement of quality without saying that they have no connection with CSF. Here is what I am talking about: FAQ/News

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Bill
Old 12-02-2014, 07:02   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Maybe these are questions you should be asking Lee sails.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Maybe these are questions you should be asking Lee sails.
I am also asking Lee Sails...BUT...if I can get third party confirmation it is better.

Do you agree?

Because of the misleading information on the Lee Sails Canada website I have eliminated them as reputable, and assume that Lee Sails Hong Kong is the same for allowing misleading information by one of their reps.

Bill
Old 12-02-2014, 07:18   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
I am also asking Lee Sails...BUT...if I can get third party confirmation it is better.

Do you agree?

Because of the misleading information on the Lee Sails Canada website I have eliminated them as reputable, and assume that Lee Sails Hong Kong is the same for allowing misleading information by one of their reps.

Bill
Bill,

I you want reputable, why don't you give a call to Sobstad? I'm very happy with their sails and when ordered in the off-season, prices are good too
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 10:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Bill,

I you want reputable, why don't you give a call to Sobstad? I'm very happy with their sails and when ordered in the off-season, prices are good too
I'm glad you said it. Back in the late 80's I got a main from Lee. It was so so. I'm a firm believer that if you spend 30% more on a good sail, they will last twice as long. There are many good lofts out there. Sobstad is one. I have one of their jibs, original with my boat (1974). It still looks good. I buy my sails from Hood now. They have their own looms and back their own cloth. Superior craftsmanship. And yes...they are 30% more.
Consider that a sail is the same as your engine for your boat. You want reliability and longevity.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 12-02-2014, 13:34   #12
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

Bill,
You could always try Lee Sails in Germany. Willkommen bei Lee Sails They will give you a quote with shipping from the EU. I am waiting for Lee Sails Canada to give me a quote to see how it compares with the German dealer.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 17:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH View Post
Bill,
You could always try Lee Sails in Germany. Willkommen bei Lee Sails They will give you a quote with shipping from the EU. I am waiting for Lee Sails Canada to give me a quote to see how it compares with the German dealer.
I understand and thanks for the information, I appreciate it very much.

I have moved away from Lee Sails. It is true that they are the low-cost producer for the world. And although they do not advertise it, it is true that each of these outlets are simply sales agents for Lee Sails manufacturing in Hong Kong.

I have been in manufacturing and I understand market awareness. With Lee Sails' market looking to them to be the low cost producer, every decision regarding labor, materials, and distribution has to be made by them based on price. Frankly, sails are an important and major part of any sailboat, and I am not going to make my decision based only on price, and I certainly am not going to make it solely on price.

This is not to say that China manufacturing is bad...but a China low-cost focus is not for me. Some China manufacturing plants are producing very high quality products in many markets. I do not want to purchase from one who makes their name on low cost.

Bill
Old 12-02-2014, 18:03   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'm glad you said it. Back in the late 80's I got a main from Lee. It was so so. I'm a firm believer that if you spend 30% more on a good sail, they will last twice as long. There are many good lofts out there. Sobstad is one. I have one of their jibs, original with my boat (1974). It still looks good. I buy my sails from Hood now. They have their own looms and back their own cloth. Superior craftsmanship. And yes...they are 30% more.
Consider that a sail is the same as your engine for your boat. You want reliability and longevity.
I visited the Hood sail loft in Izmir, Turkey. It is run by Tahsin Oge. I know him personally. We are in Turkey until mid-April. If there is anything else you want to know, or anything I can do to help you, send me a private email or email me at bill"at"svbebe.com

Bill
Old 12-02-2014, 18:06   #15

Thanx...I deal with the Hood distributor in Sausalito, Ca. The sails come from the Hood sail factory on the east coast.

Tags
Canada, Hong Kong, sail, sails