Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2017, 16:59   #1

Leaks ....help please !

Hi

My 11 year old Bavaria has gradually developed an interesting selection of leaks which I’m finding difficult to trace. I have most significantly ... water running through the ceiling sandwich and then descending midships. Can this be from leaking hatches or is the fibreglass and the hatch sealed ? There is no obvious rust or evidence of ingress around the mast. Anyone had similar ? I’ve rebedded stanchions and cap rails recently. No change
Cachalot666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 18:47   #2

Boat: Knysna 440
Re: Leaks ....help please !

We had a rather vexing leak as well. We purchased a FLIR attachment for my husband's i-phone for $200. In our case we were able to trace the leak by using the infrared thermal imaging.

Mind you we had already spent $2900 to diagnose this problem at a marine yard where they cut and drilled all kinds of holes in our boat. Their explanation..."Ummm, not sure." This little i-phone accessory at $200 was a win.
BillsWife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 19:30   #3

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Leaks ....help please !

You are posting in the forum tech support section. This section is read mostly by the web site staff. Probably you want to ask in Construction, Maintenance and Refit forum.

The standard way to find leaks is to seal up all vents and use a leaf blower to put the cabin under a small air pressure. Then go around the cabin top with a bottle of soapy water and spray it all over. Where air leaks out will create visible bubbles. Anywhere air can get out means water can also get in. The same trick is used by tire repair shops to find slow leaks in car tires.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, lease