Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 21:48   #1

La Vagabonde as celebrities

We are currently in a very distressing period of mass unemployment, a raging pandemic, racial tensions, and civil unrest. I'll admit that go to YouTube to escape reality for a bit, but I started thinking while watching La Vagabonde's latest episode, how can we justify donating probably somewhat greater than $1 million to a YouTube couple when there are so many people is such dire situations. It's just my opinion, but I had a very visceral reaction to their last video and I've just reached a point of disgust (or perhaps its resentment) of their superfluous lifestyle. Ok, so am I alone here?
Old 01-06-2020, 22:00   #2

Boat: Lancer 36
Re: La Vagabonde as celebrities

I gave up watching them when they gave Greta Thunberg a ride.
Old 01-06-2020, 22:04   #3

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

I feel your pain, but for different reasons. Everybody gets to decide who to give there money to, and SLV have got there following.

I unfollowed them essentially because I want something that teaches me about sailing - not a lifestyle philosophy - and the very flattering video/pictures of his wife/partner.

Patrick Childress is a lot more informative.

Each to there own I guess.
Old 02-06-2020, 01:46   #4

It's a matter of whether people spend their money where they wish to instead of where they are told to.
After all, governments extract plenty of our hard-earned funds for spending on things some of which we may approve and some of which we may be perhaps very unhappy about.
If la Vagabonde and crew, or similar others, are sufficiently interesting to encourage viewers to give financial support then good on them. Personally I see them as more interesting and instructional then stuff like Johnny Depp and Pirates of the Caribbean on which people actually have spent vast sums of money.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:44   #5
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

If you resent their lifestyle I've got some serious bad news for you! Wait til you see what the actual rich people are doing!

Maybe this is just a bit of stress coming out? It's understandable. Especially if you're American right now! There's a lot of uncertainty.

Riley, Elayna and Lennie are harmless. Certainly not worthy of ire, in my opinion. At least, there's A LOT more people deserving of your derision before them.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:52   #6

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark View Post
We are currently in a very distressing period of mass unemployment, a raging pandemic, racial tensions, and civil unrest. I'll admit that go to YouTube to escape reality for a bit, but I started thinking while watching La Vagabonde's latest episode, how can we justify donating probably somewhat greater than $1 million to a YouTube couple when there are so many people is such dire situations. It's just my opinion, but I had a very visceral reaction to their last video and I've just reached a point of disgust (or perhaps its resentment) of their superfluous lifestyle. Ok, so am I alone here?
I really can't stand either of them. Not my kind of people. Though I dislike 90% of people to some extent
Old 02-06-2020, 05:02   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

A million busks, and I thought they were just attention seeking extroverts. Does anyone have Greta's number.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:29   #8
cruiser

If you put yourself out there, there will always be a queue of people who don't like you telling you what to do. It is what it is.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:39   #9

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
If you resent their lifestyle I've got some serious bad news for you! Wait til you see what the actual rich people are doing!

Maybe this is just a bit of stress coming out? It's understandable. Especially if you're American right now! There's a lot of uncertainty.

Riley, Elayna and Lennie are harmless. Certainly not worthy of ire, in my opinion. At least, there's A LOT more people deserving of your derision before them.
This is cruisers forum. Aren't we all living a similar lifestyle i.e cruising on out boats?
Old 02-06-2020, 05:43   #10

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

In my opinion, their videos are being supported by dreamers and couch potatoes…….

I just tied up to a marina, Friday, for the first time since last October. Cruising around, why in the world would I want to watch videos of people doing exactly that, when I can just open my front hatch and see all the other boats in the anchorage, next to me, doing the same thing in real time…………

If they have something to offer as real value or instruction, please let me know, because of the few videos I watched of theirs, I didn’t see any.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:47   #11

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

For those of us here, it doesn't make as much sense. We have boats, we can go places, etc. But for those who don't have the ability to get out there for whatever reason, they probably get more out of watching people do this stuff.

Much the same way I enjoy some videos of people making huge overland expeditions, etc. It's a thing that interests me that I'm just not currently in a position to do, so it's cool to see what others do and what it takes to make it happen. And sometimes it leaves me thinking "hey, that would be a cool thing to do that I hadn't thought of or known about"
Old 02-06-2020, 05:51   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
This is cruisers forum. Aren't we all living a similar lifestyle i.e cruising on out boats?

That's true to an extent. But I can see the differentiation with patreon etc. But, honestly, it's optional. Don't want to contribute then don't. Don't like their videos? Don't watch.

When you're unhappy or stressed things come out and they're not necessarily justified. Understandable, maybe, but not justified.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:12   #13

Y'all make very good points. Well put
Old 02-06-2020, 06:20   #14

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark View Post
It's easy: Don't watch, and certainly don't contribute.

The majority of tuber cruisers are selling an entertainment package which many find valuable. It's absolutely no different than paying to see a movie, or Netflix, or even tossing a few coins in a busker's case. The performers and producers are providing a service which some find valuable.

As to their lifestyle being somehow too obscene given current realities, I'd say there are far better examples of where our disgust should be aimed. The billionaire class -- the 0.01 percenters if you will -- are the real villains.

If you want to express legitimate disgust at someone, then stop shopping at Amazon or Walmart. Stop buying from Apple or Microsoft. Stop using Google and Facebook.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:24   #15

I found them entertaining enough. They're good for a laugh.

If someone wants to buy them boats and pay their expenses, more power to them! It's not like they request sponsorship out of malice. They put out the request - it's up to you if you want to put money in the hat. This is not so different than any of the "go fund me" options people with extra money have.

Maybe some folks don't have a big cable bill, and this is their entertainment! They're certainly as entertaining as the other reality TV options out there, and they do a decent job of it.

As for me, I wouldn't send money to them or anyone else in this entertainment space, as I have my own boating hobby to support! I make silly sailing mistakes with the best of them!
Closed Thread