Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2020, 16:04   #46

Re: La Vagabonde as celebrities

They are just doing a job. Just because they have a job they love doesn’t mean they aren’t working. Just because your idea of a job is different, or you don’t love doing it, doesn’t mean they shouldn’t get paid for what they do as employment.
Times have changed. Jacques Cousteau got paid for doing what he loved and nobody complained. I guess it just depends on what kind of entertainment your prefer.
Old 02-06-2020, 16:17   #47

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Isn’t what freedom is about? It is a business and it seems for them very successful. Freedom to watch or not, freedom to give them money or not. And in my opinion, only idiots will give them more, I don’t think they need it, but that’s just my opinion. If you want to contribute to more modest you tube channels, plenty of good ones out there doing a good job.
To each its own, right?
Old 02-06-2020, 16:22   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssas5342 View Post
They are just doing a job. Just because they have a job they love doesn’t mean they aren’t working. Just because your idea of a job is different, or you don’t love doing it, doesn’t mean they shouldn’t get paid for what they do as employment.
Times have changed. Jacques Cousteau got paid for doing what he loved and nobody complained. I guess it just depends on what kind of entertainment your prefer.

Jacques Cousteau did scientific research. Though he did make some entertaining films, what we're talking about here isn't remotely in the same category.

That said, I don't have a problem with people making funny videos and passing the hat. People who are good at that make a ton of money.
Old 02-06-2020, 16:28   #49

Boat: Cape Barren Goose

Funny old world.

I admittedly also used to watch them when they first started out. They came across as poor, young, honest and aesthetic - on a brave adventure.

Now they are the middle class, not so youthful, polished and in my opinion, presenting an unrealistic picture of what most of us experience when cruising.

For most of us that started watching them earlier, the appeal has now sailed. For their new audience however, the appeal is probably stronger.

I wish them well but have no interest in their newer direction - but I doubt my absence will worry them one bit.
Old 02-06-2020, 16:33   #50

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by roam View Post
Here's my list of sailboat channels for anyone looking to kill time. I'm a modest Patreon supporter of SV Tapatya and Salt&Tar .

Building:
SV Tapatya - Middle aged bloke builds a 32 boat in his backyard
Salt & Tar - Young couple build a 40+ boat.
Sampson Boat Co - Rebuilding a Fastnet winning boat.
Acorn To Arabella - Building 38' Atkins design from wood mostly source from the family property
Sail Life - Never ending boat refit

Cruising:
How to Sail Oceans - Low production quality but admirable sailing.
Saiing Uma - High produciton quality and interesting projects from two trained architects.
SV Delos - While historically my favorite cruising channel, I'm not much interested in raising babies.
Sailing Yacht Florence - I'd say this is a pretty typical cruising channel. I like it because they built the same dinghy as I did.

Sailing/Racing:
The Ocean Race - Formerly the Volvo Ocean Race
Rolex World of Yachts - Good coverage of all types of racing
Sailing with the Foxwell Family - English guy does videos of his local racing scene.
World Sailing TV - Lots of live broadcasts of races including SailGP, 49ers, 470s, Lasers.
Dinghy Adventures - Dinghy cruising in England and France. Very homey feel to the vids.
World Sailing Show - Lots of America's Cup coverage.
Tom Cunliffe Yachts and Yarns - Old salt telling tales
Christian Williams - Sailor, author, and Jazz lover.
That's surprisingly similar to my list! The differences are that I don't follow quite as much of the racing/dinghy stuff, and have never been interested in Delos.

I end up watching those channels where someone has a specific skill or ability that makes the channel different and useful. For that reason Sailing Uma and Salt and Tar are lower down my list, but they can still have interesting elements.

I haven't seen Tapatya but I do watch in addition to the above:

Erik Aanderaa -- Norwegian nutter sailing a small boat in serious weather. He works in sea rescue and recovery so really knows his stuff in that area. Slightly exaggerates weather but you have to make the drama as big as you can I guess.

Patrick Laine -- retired fighter pilot sailing a plain production boat from France. Very pleasant and straightforward guy explaining clearly what he does, travelling to places such as Iceland and the Faroes without any of the drama of the above. One of the few youtubers I'd be happy to have a beer with any time, and one of the few I'd be more than happy to sail with.

The O'Kelly's -- fairly tedious sailing on a cat, but he's a meteorologist and the information about weather forecasting and his knowledge of that makes the channel worthwhile.

Sailing Britaly -- ex-helicopter maintenance guy. The sailing isn't up to much, but it's good to watch his maintenance videos as even though he's inexperienced in marine matters his ability and techniques make for a very watchable and instructive video.

And for video quality, it's easy to spot the channels made by ex-videographers. Keep Turning Left (no longer on youtube but still around), and Cruising the Cut, both worth watching for the quality rather than the sailing.
Old 02-06-2020, 16:34   #51

Boat: Lightwave 45

I think they work pretty hard to produce high quality entertainment every week. Artists have been supported by patrons for centuries.
Old 02-06-2020, 17:08   #52

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
Jacques Cousteau did scientific research. Though he did make some entertaining films, what we're talking about here isn't remotely in the same category.

That said, I don't have a problem with people making funny videos and passing the hat. People who are good at that make a ton of money.
Cousteau must have done some kind of apprenticeship. That may be what La Vaga are doing. With the hard work, great attitude and progress they've made, perhaps they may continue to build experience and be a new kind of Cousteau. At least give them a chance. Good to see most comments here are supportive.

I co-incidentally met them (and the baby) when they were en-route. Quite recently. Spent 5 hour or so yarning. Pleasant for us all, I think. IMO there's nothing funny going on at all - both are thoroughly good sorts, hard workers, they've taken a few risks, and they've thought this through as a lifestyle business ... like 000's of people/entertainers including musicians before them. Most of all, they do work pretty hard at this.

Oh since the baby, their subscriptions end of January had nearly doubled to 1.3M, and I see now, four months later over 1.4M. Entertaining and informing that many people with a good honest activity has to be good for the world.
Old 02-06-2020, 17:09   #53

Boat: Costco boogie board

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGO View Post
I think they work pretty hard to produce high quality entertainment every week. Artists have been supported by patrons for centuries.
To sum it up in our local vernacular:

If can, can.
If no can, no can.

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Old 02-06-2020, 17:11   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBrew View Post
I feel I need to speak up in support of success. If La Vagabonde are getting $1m a year for sailing around on their boat and making videos then of course that seems 'unfair' when some people are struggling to feed themselves. But La Vagabonde and other entertainers didn't succeed by themselves. We (all the people who watch their videos) made them a success and while you might say that sailing around is a superfluous way to make a living, I think you could say the same of almost anyone who makes their living entertaining others. And of course, as cruisers, we're all guilty if spending time doing something superfluous becomes socially unacceptable.
There are lots of good responses here, it sounds like most people are on the same page.

HBrew, I don't disagree with anything you say. It probably wasn't very clear in my post, but while I have a distaste for what La Vagabonde has become, I certainly do not fault La Vagabonde for making their money--I am as American as anyone.

My consternation is really from the donors, that I just don't understand. It's feels like if Mark Zuckerberg asked me for a donation so he could buy another mansion... it doesn't make any sense to me to give a donation to someone who is already way better off than me.

But anyways, I agree with you, and I certainly wouldn't tell people what to do with their own money. I just don't understand it sometimes.

Also,

I'd add to the list:

Vet Tails' Sailing Chuffed
Millennial Falcon
Old 02-06-2020, 17:39   #55

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
I would be of the mind that “World Central Kitchen” is a much worthier cause to give money to.
I can't speak to your suggested cause, but the title made me remember to say that based on the latest video I watched this morning, that woman is NEVER going to touch any of my knives. *shudder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
Greta really gets the JFOR's hackles up for speaking a truth anyone who's spent anytime on a real ocean has already learned from the relentless increase in pollution floating past their hull.
Ms. Thunberg does not understand the science of which she speaks. She is a mouthpiece. Even her father says she should be in school. She hasn't even finished high school! I don't care about her age. I care about her understanding of science.
Old 02-06-2020, 17:58   #56

Boat: Costco boogie board

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark View Post
as anyone.

My consternation is really from the donors, that I just don't understand. It's feels like if Mark Zuckerberg asked me for a donation so he could buy another mansion... it doesn't make any sense to me to give a donation to someone who is already way better off than me.

But anyways, I agree with you, and I certainly wouldn't tell people what to do with their own money. I just don't understand it sometimes.
I see the distinction you are making. Try looking at it as different methods of monitization. When you purchase music or a movie you make a payment and a part of that goes to a bunch of folks who are likely better off than you are. If you watch TV, you somewhat involuntarily watch ads which pay for those same folks to live nicer than you do. When you watch youtube, it's free for you. There might be some ads and those do pay a little bit, as I understand, but not very much. Hence the "need" to ask for donations (OK maybe it is begging) via Patreon or whatever. Entertainers gotta get paid! It is a LOT of WORK to produce quality video content, not to mention the expensive equipment that is required to get a level of polish that attracts viewers. Just my 2 cents.

Kimo
Marooned on Maui
Old 02-06-2020, 18:15   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark View Post
Harrison Ford (or any other actor/producer) doesn't just ask for a donation, he insists on payment at the box office before you watch his movie.

Does that make more sense?
Old 02-06-2020, 18:23   #58

Boat: J/34c, B&B Spindrift 11N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
That's surprisingly similar to my list! The differences are that I don't follow quite as much of the racing/dinghy stuff, and have never been interested in Delos.

I end up watching those channels where someone has a specific skill or ability that makes the channel different and useful. For that reason Sailing Uma and Salt and Tar are lower down my list, but they can still have interesting elements.

I haven't seen Tapatya but I do watch in addition to the above:

Erik Aanderaa -- Norwegian nutter sailing a small boat in serious weather. He works in sea rescue and recovery so really knows his stuff in that area. Slightly exaggerates weather but you have to make the drama as big as you can I guess.

Patrick Laine -- retired fighter pilot sailing a plain production boat from France. Very pleasant and straightforward guy explaining clearly what he does, travelling to places such as Iceland and the Faroes without any of the drama of the above. One of the few youtubers I'd be happy to have a beer with any time, and one of the few I'd be more than happy to sail with.

The O'Kelly's -- fairly tedious sailing on a cat, but he's a meteorologist and the information about weather forecasting and his knowledge of that makes the channel worthwhile.

Sailing Britaly -- ex-helicopter maintenance guy. The sailing isn't up to much, but it's good to watch his maintenance videos as even though he's inexperienced in marine matters his ability and techniques make for a very watchable and instructive video.

And for video quality, it's easy to spot the channels made by ex-videographers. Keep Turning Left (no longer on youtube but still around), and Cruising the Cut, both worth watching for the quality rather than the sailing.

I've watched many of Patrick Lane's videos and a few of Eric Aandera's. I'll check out the others you've mentioned.

I've got the greatest admiration for anyone willing to build their own boat. I thought about it, but after building a dinghy and a kayak I checked a calendar and decided my time would be better spent sailing. Ahhh to be 10 years younger.
Old 02-06-2020, 18:27   #59

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo_Kai View Post
It is a LOT of WORK to produce quality video content
It is a lot of work to produce quality video. It is a lot of work to produce quality content. My observation is that YouTube sailing and cruising products have much of the former and little of the latter.
Old 02-06-2020, 18:35   #60

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
If you resent their lifestyle I've got some serious bad news for you! Wait til you see what the actual rich people are doing!

Maybe this is just a bit of stress coming out? It's understandable. Especially if you're American right now! There's a lot of uncertainty.

Riley, Elayna and Lennie are harmless. Certainly not worthy of ire, in my opinion. At least, there's A LOT more people deserving of your derision before them.

Every word in this post is absolutely true.
Closed Thread