Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2020, 11:13   #31

Boat: Beneteau 343
Re: La Vagabonde as celebrities

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
I gave up watching them when they gave Greta Thunberg a ride.
Same for me but I also was losing interest in general after it became more baby centric
Old 02-06-2020, 11:25   #32

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

They stopped being instructive or interesting a long time ago and lost me as a viewer........
Old 02-06-2020, 11:40   #33

Boat: J/34c, B&B Spindrift 11N

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcshane View Post
If you find yourself inland, separated from your boat, socially isolated from usual watering holes and easy comaraderie, YouTube is chock-a-block with sailing vlogs and videos.

Rather than single out SLV specifically for praise or scorn, I'd suggest using this thread to post your current favs:
Here's my list of sailboat channels for anyone looking to kill time. I'm a modest Patreon supporter of SV Tapatya and Salt&Tar .

Building:
SV Tapatya - Middle aged bloke builds a 32 boat in his backyard
Salt & Tar - Young couple build a 40+ boat.
Sampson Boat Co - Rebuilding a Fastnet winning boat.
Acorn To Arabella - Building 38' Atkins design from wood mostly source from the family property
Sail Life - Never ending boat refit

Cruising:
How to Sail Oceans - Low production quality but admirable sailing.
Saiing Uma - High produciton quality and interesting projects from two trained architects.
SV Delos - While historically my favorite cruising channel, I'm not much interested in raising babies.
Sailing Yacht Florence - I'd say this is a pretty typical cruising channel. I like it because they built the same dinghy as I did.

Sailing/Racing:
The Ocean Race - Formerly the Volvo Ocean Race
Rolex World of Yachts - Good coverage of all types of racing
Sailing with the Foxwell Family - English guy does videos of his local racing scene.
World Sailing TV - Lots of live broadcasts of races including SailGP, 49ers, 470s, Lasers.
Dinghy Adventures - Dinghy cruising in England and France. Very homey feel to the vids.
World Sailing Show - Lots of America's Cup coverage.
Tom Cunliffe Yachts and Yarns - Old salt telling tales
Christian Williams - Sailor, author, and Jazz lover.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:54   #34

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I don't donate to La Vagabonde because it simply isn't that interesting. I don't object to their success. They should stick with travelogues as when they talk about boat projects they just repeat mistakes made hundreds of times before by others. I will say carrying Greta Thunberg across the Atlantic was genius from a business point of view. I'm sure it added to their viewership and patronage.

Ms Thunberg on the other hand should be in school, not spouting on about things she doesn't understand.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:55   #35

Boat: Outremer 51

I feel I need to speak up in support of success. If La Vagabonde are getting $1m a year for sailing around on their boat and making videos then of course that seems 'unfair' when some people are struggling to feed themselves. But La Vagabonde and other entertainers didn't succeed by themselves. We (all the people who watch their videos) made them a success and while you might say that sailing around is a superfluous way to make a living, I think you could say the same of almost anyone who makes their living entertaining others. And of course, as cruisers, we're all guilty if spending time doing something superfluous becomes socially unacceptable.

As for billionaires and mega corporations like Google, likewise, they didn't achieve their success without the willing support of millions/billions of people (excluding those who inherit their wealth). We don't have to use their products. This is how it works in a capitalist system. It's not equitable and that's partly the point. I personally think that a good argument could be made for eliminating inheritance where people get rich by just being born to the right parents, but people who start with nothing and become a billionaire have achieved massive success. Is this really wrong if they achieved this legally? Is it wrong that Roger Federer made over $80m last year as the world's top paid sports person. Once again, he made almost all of that money because you and I buy products that he endorses.

I think we would all wish for a society where everyone gets a chance to succeed and is not vilified if they do and is not vilified if they don't. That's not how it is right now and racism is a shameful example of just how inhuman we humans can be. Things need to be fixed and if our government is failing to make progress, then as a democracy, that's on us. So, rather than attacking people who are succeeding, perhaps we should focus our energy on figuring out how to do better.

Maybe I am naive, but I still believe that with constant vigilance we can make society more just and create an environment where success can flourish. These are not mutually exclusive. I will admit, however, that it seems that many governments today are not really focused on this; I don't see them prioritizing the challenge of creating a more perfect union, of better serving the people they represent. That's worrying and we should demand better from those we trust with the greatest monopoly of all, our government...or, just go sailing, create some nice vlogs and feed people's dreams as they sit at home staring at their smart device.

I really hesitated to post this and perhaps that's a problem too; that so often these days, online discussions about topics like this rapidly descend into abuse. Anyway, I hope that alternative views are still allowed.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:03   #36

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

I would be of the mind that “World Central Kitchen” is a much worthier cause to give money to. Or some other charitable organization that makes people’s lives substantially better. No way I’m giving money to a tits and ass show on YouTube.

Working together and for each other is how we will overcome our present circumstances.

Fair winds,
Old 02-06-2020, 12:23   #37

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

I really enjoyed their early content when they were just regular cruisers exploring the world. The new boat and all the lifestyle stuff + the kid is a little to posh for this simple cruiser.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:24   #38

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

She's getting old... she used to be very pretty when she was younger, but now the age and sun have taken their toll. It's going to be tough for them to keep the video channel going and bring in the funds after another 3-5 years.

But they did an amazing job and I give them two thumbs up for a job well done. I wish them well in their future endeavors, whatever they may be.
Old 02-06-2020, 12:58   #39

Boat: 2000 Beneteau 361

It's always surprising how shitty people are towards other people over the pseudo anonymity of the internet and a screen name.
Old 02-06-2020, 14:04   #40
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iduna View Post
It's always surprising how shitty people are towards other people over the pseudo anonymity of the internet and a screen name.
I know.....
....but being "Holier than thou" is so passè these days.
Seriously, they have a good life, really great kid, I'm happy for them and wish them all the success in the future.
Old 02-06-2020, 14:29   #41

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
I don't donate to La Vagabonde because it simply isn't that interesting. I don't object to their success. They should stick with travelogues as when they talk about boat projects they just repeat mistakes made hundreds of times before by others. I will say carrying Greta Thunberg across the Atlantic was genius from a business point of view. I'm sure it added to their viewership and patronage.

Ms Thunberg on the other hand should be in school, not spouting on about things she doesn't understand.
Did it increase their following? curious, anyone know?
Old 02-06-2020, 14:33   #42

Boat: Rival Sailing Yacht 34ft

I have watched them from the start of their journey.The first series when they had their mono hull was interesting watching them learn the ropes.Since they have the cat they have changed very commercial.Sure they earn a lot of money not as much as SV Delos.Its up to people if they decide to subscribe.I do not watch them any more.I do support The OLD Seadog Barry Perrins.I shared a boat yard with him in Plymouth way before he started on his dream journey.He is ex RNLI crew and is sailing single handed, currently in New Zealand.He did not even know about about patreon and people had to tell him about it.He sails for the love of it and to for fill his dream not to make money like a lot of the current You Tubers do.
Old 02-06-2020, 15:00   #43

I've been following La Vagabonde since we were in the Med at the same time as them in 2015. They're a wonderful young couple leading an alternative yachting lifestyle and surviving on their wits. I can't really believe that people would criticise them for providing a really entertaining channel so people can see what's possible if you are determined enough to unhook from a normal suburban existence and head out into the wild blue yonder. Elayna in no way flaunts her obvious beauty, let's face it she can't hide it unless she walks around dressed in a sack all day. If you're concerned about the excesses of human-kind, I'd say there are plenty of other places you could look before criticising this terrific young family.
Old 02-06-2020, 15:19   #44

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

“I gave up watching them when they gave Greta Thunberg a ride”
nothing like a bunch of jealous fat old rednecks hacking away at a lovely young couple living the kind of life we'd all love to have lived, and Greta really gets the JFOR's hackles up for speaking a truth anyone who's spent anytime on a real ocean has already learned from the relentless increase in pollution floating past their hull. Lucky for them you guys never gave them any money anyway.
Old 02-06-2020, 15:36   #45

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I know.....
....but being "Holier than thou" is so passè these days.
Seriously, they have a good life, really great kid, I'm happy for them and wish them all the success in the future.
Couldn't agree more...
Closed Thread