Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2015, 23:07   #31

Boat: Still building
Re: Kindle Paperwhite

People are saying they can read 'multiple books' between charges - I'
m agreeing with that - just that I do multiple books ina day, not over the course of a week or two - hence the charge only lasts me a day.

If you are reading three books pr day and doing so five daysa week AND getting it all on a single charge, with the backlight on at least 50% - then mine isn't doing that.

But I don't think that's what you're saying, is it?
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:00   #32
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
People are saying they can read 'multiple books' between charges - I'
m agreeing with that - ......

But I don't think that's what you're saying, is it?
Looking here..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle...Tx5G5SYZYGGI5C

It seems battery life is dependent on many factors, font size, indexing downloaded books, backlight level..

A few on that thread sound like they have a short battery life similar to yours but others have substantially more.

A reset might help.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:59   #33

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

Quote:
You say 'a week of reading' but what's that in terms of actual books read thru or actual time with the machine 'on'.

I'm talking about non-stop reading for 4-8 hours daily. Four is OK, but 8 drains the battery flat.

That's between 1 and three books per day.

What others seem to be saying they are getting from their Paperwhites.
I'm usually reading about 5 hours a day or so? Depends on if we are traveling or not on the boat. If we are traveling, then I will read more. If we are in port, then I'll read less. I always read at least an hour a night as well, sometimes more. On any particular vacation, I will read probably about 10 books in the three weeks and usually only have to charge again when I've passed two weeks.

If you are reading during the day, why do you have the backlight at 50%? That's really high. Also, what actually uses battery is turning the pages so maybe you have the text large so you turn pages often?
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:19   #34

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Kindle Paperwhite

I was also wondering why you've got the backlight on so high...when you're outside, turn the backlight off. I hate the backlight on above a level of 1/3 roughly, I feel like I'm staring at a lightbulb.

I've also just finished two Clive Cussler books back to back and still have battery life....I know Cussler isn't heavy reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 20:28   #35

OK, will have to measure this more closely - maybe I got a Friday arvo battery....
Old 12-04-2015, 08:01   #36

Boat: 1970 Morgan M38

I love my paperwhite

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-04-2015, 05:30   #37

Quote:
I'm talking about non-stop reading for 4-8 hours daily. Four is OK, but 8 drains the battery flat.
Eight hours to drain the battery seems very low. I routinely go well over 10 hours of reading between charges without running it all the way flat.

I would reiterate that you should turn "Airplane Mode" to ON, except for when you really want to connect to a wifi system. This will extend your battery life significantly. And, as others have said, brightness to the lowest setting that is comfortable for the conditions you are reading in.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 05:36   #38

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Eight hours to drain the battery seems very low. I routinely go well over 10 hours of reading between charges without running it all the way flat.

I would reiterate that you should turn "Airplane Mode" to ON, except for when you really want to connect to a wifi system. This will extend your battery life significantly. And, as others have said, brightness to the lowest setting that is comfortable for the conditions you are reading in.
Yep - definitely keep wifi off (especially if you are not near a wifi signal and it is searching the whole time) and keep that brightness down.
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 19:00   #39

Just checked and mine had airplane mode 'off' so presumably the wifi thing has been hunting for a non-existant signal the whole time, which could explain the battery charge life issue.

Thanks for the tip! Will test it and see if it improves.
Old 13-04-2015, 19:45   #40

Boat: Catalina 387

Heck, I get an amazing amount of battery life out of mine. I took a trip to Catalina, read every day, came back, read _another_ book or three, and it still had a charge.

I charge mine maybe once every 2 weeks. I have airplane on, don't even muck about with the backlight.

I really like my paperwhite.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 15:14   #41

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

I love my Paperwhite, and I read in bright sunlight, as well as backlit at night. Be sure and sign up at BookBub, I get daily notifications for free books on Amazon, and I am downloading about 2-6 a day preparing for when I don't have connectivity.
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 08:11   #42

I have a Kindle Fire and 3 Nooks - one a simple touch, but have switched all my reading to a 7 inch Android tablet. It downloads and formats Kindle documents from Amazon and epubs from everyone else. And it performs all the functions of a tablet. It's a 4.4 Kitkat OS, quadcore and only cost $40. For $86 I could have gotten one with GPS that'd do navigation, too.
Battery life is OK, 6 to 8 hours wifi off, and its visible day and night with a lighted screen. And it runs fine with the charger plugged in, or on an extended battery pack.
jjk308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 23:15   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

I have a Kindle Paperwhite (my first Kindle was without backlighting and was only replaced because Neptune claimed it ). Lots of members have reported how good it is outdoors and I have found the same. It is brilliant even in direct sunshine (no glare at all off the screen).

I always use it in 'Aeroplane' mode unless loading a book from Amazon (and that takes less than a minute), but I had previously just left the backlighting at the halfway mark permanently due to laziness. Playing around with it, it needs zero backlight outdoors (it actually makes no difference at all what light level is selected), so I am now leaving the backlight off entirely except at night (max I need then is only 6). I have also now decreased the font size to minimise the number of page changes and that has definitely extended the time between charges as well.

Thanks for all the tips everyone .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 23:48   #44
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Even the original Kindle was famous for being daylight readable. The new ones just add icing to the cake. Don't be afraid to get one that is "ad supported" because the ads generally consist of an ad for a new book, which you'll find waiting for you when you turn the Kindle on. Which should give you a hint: Turn WiFi OFF if you are not browsing for books or waiting for a download (which is fast) and you'll get much better battery life. WiFi is busy checking for new "mail" on some undisclosed basis, all the time. And your Kindle has an email address of its own, so you can even have books, etc. emailed to you from anyone else.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote