Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2018, 18:05   #61

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30
Re: Just Re-watched "All Is Lost"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
the subtitle should have been: "Dumbass on a boat." Who carries an expensive sextant but not an EPIRB?
I love that subtitle! lol. So much of a movie has to be unspoken and assumed, I would assume that he bought an EPIRB 15 years ago and never serviced it... that could have easily been shown in the movie, but it may have been lost on 99% of the audience, who doesn't know an EPIRB from a flashlight.

Quote:
In a nutshell, my interpretation was a lonely, depressed guy who needed the sea to tell him: "Dude. You'r me gonna die!" to shake him out of his funk. Sailing my little boat off a lee shore singlehanded in 30 knot winds and 10 foot seas gets me outa any funk every time. The sea says to me: "OK. I'll take your challenge. Sail or die!" There's nothing like a little survival experience to remind you why you want to survive.
Sail or Die! That made me laugh. I want to put that on a T-shirt!
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 18:18   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
I think the technical sides of things get pretty much 'Lost' in most films with some form of hardware management at their core.

The movie 'Fury' which is about an M4 easy eight medium tank is another good example. They had the Tiger firing on the move which they never did, its actually written into the Tigers manual. They had the four Shermans attacking the Tiger while the Tiger eliminated the first 3 from left to right. In reality the Tiger would have stopped and rolled the easy eight first because it was the only one that could actually penetrate a Tiger with its 76mm gun.

Then the overhead shot got completely destroyed as the synchronicity of the easy eight getting around the back of the Tiger 'and' outrunning the Tigers gun traverse was completely stuffed up. Really they should have re shot the scene.

Another is Nolan's Dunkirk, which has far too much ammunition on the featured Spitfire. Which after an 'overly' epic glide makes a dramatic gear down landing on the beech.... ummm no, not on sand.

But they did at least keep the aircraft in type (one exception) with period markings on a non existent Spitfire squadron so that it would not appear to be following a particular pilot. One exception was to mark the German 109's with yellow noses which did not occur until much later, but done so for the film as they say to help the audience identify the aircraft.
Wow! That WAS pretty technical. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in WWII aircraft, but I didn't even know that about 109's!!! And this is why studios shoot for the ignorant 90%. The amount of research involved in making a movie 100% without error would be IMO, prohibitive. There's always going to be someone out there who will say "That Jeep is the wrong shade of OD for that time period..."

If you were to take out the technical flaws in most movies, the negative scenario would have never occurred in the first place.
Old 13-10-2018, 18:26   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadreams View Post
I hate to admit, I have never seen Cpt Ron! But I will put it on my list for sure... That was friggin' awesome!
Old 13-10-2018, 19:09   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingRyder View Post
I hate to admit, I have never seen Cpt Ron! But I will put it on my list for sure... That was friggin' awesome!
Captain Ron is one of my favorites. Just a warning for all the continuity nerds and technical sailing freaks - it’s a MOVIE. Its a goofy one too. It’s entertainment. Take it easy and enjoy it.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 21:29   #65

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I haven't wasted my time watching this trainwreck, but I do have a question for you.
What was powering this container which "hit" him?

Just askin'...

Oh, and do a search on CF. It's been discussed ad nauseum which is why I never watched it.
Off the wall question: Your Dragonfly would survive, and still be fairly much operational even after hitting that container? I know they're unsinkable, but I think it's still be able to sail? Slowly. What are your thoughts?
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 06:14   #66

Boat: Valiant 40
Just Re-watched "All Is Lost"

I consider the movie to be the “Jaws” of sailing films. It will probably do more to keep people from going offshore than anything else you could show them.

The sad aspect is that he appears to the uninitiated to be a competent, experienced voyager. He encounters some relatively prosaic difficulties and fails at every turn to address them effectively. It makes heading offshore look like certain death.

I did not enjoy the flick at all. It’s depressing in its themes to begin with and his incompetence makes it even more so. It’s not a movie about surviving against the odds. It’s a movie about a depressive who survives, through pure luck, despite doing everything possible to undermine his own survival.

I grew up on Long Island and we loved Jaws because the beaches were empty for a couple of years after it came out. I’d be curious how many dreamers All is Lost has ensured stay at the dock.
Old 14-10-2018, 06:44   #67

Quote:

If you were to take out the technical flaws in most movies, the negative scenario would have never occurred in the first place.

My all time favorite was in Saving Private Ryan, the shooting of the driver of the Tiger tank (actually a remodeled Russian T34) through the drivers vision port. Tigers have 2" of glass in that space
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	saving_private_ryan_tank_battle.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	178928  
Old 14-10-2018, 07:59   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Captain Ron is one of my favorites. Just a warning for all the continuity nerds and technical sailing freaks - it’s a MOVIE. Its a goofy one too. It’s entertainment. Take it easy and enjoy it.

But he had the most sage advice ever!

“If it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.”
Old 14-10-2018, 08:23   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I think you are absolutely right. Many folks think this movie was about sailing. It wasn't. That was my take as well.
the whole take away for me was in the ending credits .
A wanton destruction of 3 fine sailboats that gave their lives for this drivel
Rest in piece SV Tahoe, SV Tenacious and SV Orion . Remember them well so their lives weren't lost in vain.
Old 14-10-2018, 14:13   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I grew up on Long Island and we loved Jaws because the beaches were empty for a couple of years after it came out. I’d be curious how many dreamers All is Lost has ensured stay at the dock.
I would say, if you are disuaded by a movie, then you have no business being on a boat in the first place. JMO.
Old 14-10-2018, 14:33   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
My all time favorite was in Saving Private Ryan, the shooting of the driver of the Tiger tank (actually a remodeled Russian T34) through the drivers vision port. Tigers have 2" of glass in that space
My biggest problem w/ Private Ryan, was the cowardly typist. When he watched as the german soldier slowly stabbed his buddy to death... there was just no way to recover his character after that, for me. I know, I know... fog of war and all... but, for movie sake, they should have shown him at least, make an effort to stop the bayonet fight.

The opening scene of SPR was probably some of the best cinematography ever! Apparently, Spielberg envisioned the cinema-verrité style of this scene when he was approx 12-13yo. I've seen the youth video, and it was pretty impressive... especially for a preteen. Spielberg is truly a genius.
Old 14-10-2018, 15:15   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
the whole take away for me was in the ending credits .
A wanton destruction of 3 fine sailboats that gave their lives for this drivel
Rest in piece SV Tahoe, SV Tenacious and SV Orion . Remember them well so their lives weren't lost in vain.
I agree. its a shame they had to destroy 3 boats to film this...
Old 14-10-2018, 15:35   #73

Quote:
Spielberg is truly a genius.
Now if this genious could just park his 86 meter super yacht where it won't block the wind in the main channel of Marina Del Rey?
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2018, 17:15   #74

Quote:
I would say, if you are disuaded by a movie, then you have no business being on a boat in the first place. JMO.

People are dissuaded by all sorts of things but movies can be very powerful. After all, that’s their whole point (if they are successful). It does not take much to plant a seed of doubt in someone’s mind.

I would agree and modify your statement and insert “being in a boat deep offshore”. You need to be cognizant of what may come and how to deal with it. If you’re not, well then you’re not effectively prepared.

But if a glimmer In someone’s eye is snuffed out by a disingenuous movie that makes being offshore nothing but an inevitable train wreck, that’s s sad thing.
Old 14-10-2018, 18:16   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
People are dissuaded by all sorts of things but movies can be very powerful. After all, that’s their whole point (if they are successful). It does not take much to plant a seed of doubt in someone’s mind.

I would agree and modify your statement and insert “being in a boat deep offshore”. You need to be cognizant of what may come and how to deal with it. If you’re not, well then you’re not effectively prepared.

But if a glimmer In someone’s eye is snuffed out by a disingenuous movie that makes being offshore nothing but an inevitable train wreck, that’s s sad thing.
I agree that movies can be quite persuasive, but in more of a world view, political sort of way, than a behavioural modification sort of way. I have watched countless "plane crash" movies, but it has never made me question my decision to become a flight attendant. While Jaws did a huge disservice to beach communities and shark populations, I think the casual behavior of deciding whether or not to swim in the ocean, is far less significant than deciding whether or not to make an ocean passage. I doubt this movie moved the needle very much with potential boat buyers. As far as passage making, I think Capt Phillips did more to scare the crap out of me than did All is lost.

Tags
lost