Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2011, 06:08   #76
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Jolly Roger, Pirates and Political Correctness

I think there's a difference between the organised party, Pirate Night, end of season parrot bash, etc etc they are fun, everyone has them, everyone goes, its a good investment to buy a good quality pirate hat before going cruising...

and

People who have their pirate flag up in their spreaders day in - day out when cruising different countries.

The difference is apparent in some areas.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 10:34   #77

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Okay, I Have a Minor in Sociology: I'll Take a Stab at This…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
Note: contents of this post are for entertainment purposes only: any valid insights contained herein are purely the result of blind chance. Stereotypes are by their very definition types, meaning a collection of corelates meant to project a rough picture that nonetheless communicates a core truth. Your mileage (identification, self-perception, or personal ethos) may vary considerably.

As Wolfaroo noted, the pirates of yore are so safely removed in time that there are three distinct classes of "safe" adult identification with the Jolly Roger (and in the case of the first class, much other paraphernalia):
  1. Fun-loving partiers who want to drink Captain Morgan, wear adult Halloween costumes and have a good time. These are the ones some call immature and would rather not anchor near.
  2. Free spirits who identify with the idea of self-reliance and individuality in a rather personal and intense way. Usually great people to have around when you need something, because they take pride in being accomplished and skilled sailors, and take a certain inner pride in owning those skills; otherwise, give them their space and don't try to tell them what to do. They may not even feel the need for you to know what their personal ethos is by flying the black flag, because some are so independent they simply don't care what you think about them and tend to eschew any type of identification with any group. They believe, by and large, that people are idiots and don't wish to associate with their trendy idiocy.
  3. Dreamy vagabonds who listen to Jimmy Buffet and are seeking an Endless Summer in paradise. Think Latts & Atts and listen to code terms like calling money "freedom chips."
As in all self-chosen identity, elements can be adopted from more than one category to create a custom-tailored persona. In CoastalCowboy's case, I sense elements from the second and third classes, and there are many like him. Blue Stocking is more of a pure second-class (William the) pirate (these are only my perceptions, and I could be wrong. I'm wrong a lot).

Anyway, any of those identities, or combinations, were all good and fine, until piracy re-emerged in the public mind, thanks largely to modern communications, just a few years ago. Now, what used to be merely a romanticized reference to the past, that sold many a child's Halloween costume and inspired many an independent adventurer, has come to be associated anew with a seriously lawless and violent reality.

So what are otherwise lawful people inspired by a perceived pirate romance or ethos to do?

The partiers don't think about it: the men are too busy applying their eyeliner and penciling on their Errol Flynn mustaches, and the women too busy getting that skull-and-crossbones navel ring to hang just so.

The second class, the independents, don't care much, unless they are a bit more annoyed than usual that the public mind sees their black flag (if they fly one at all) and comes to a stupider-than-usual conclusion about what it might mean.

The third class, the Jimmy Buffet/Latts & Atts guys, are the ones who are concerned about what others think of them, and it seems to them much more like a personal affront to be associated with modern-day Somalis, because it's more important to them that people to see them a certain way, and if the new PR is bad, they feel it reflects on their lifestyle, and by extension, them, negatively.

Sorry, Coastal, I don't see much you can do about it, except care less, or quit flying a black flag. You certainly can't go around passing out business cards printed with lyrics from "A Pirate Looks at Forty."

Good Luck.
Yes.

Thank you professor!
Old 30-08-2011, 11:47   #78

Boat: 45' Horstman Tri-Star
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck

Note: contents of this post are for entertainment purposes only: any valid insights contained herein are purely the result of blind chance. Stereotypes are by their very definition types, meaning a collection of corelates meant to project a rough picture that nonetheless communicates a core truth. Your mileage (identification, self-perception, or personal ethos) may vary considerably.

As Wolfaroo noted, the pirates of yore are so safely removed in time that there are three distinct classes of "safe" adult identification with the Jolly Roger (and in the case of the first class, much other paraphernalia):
[*]Fun-loving partiers who want to drink Captain Morgan, wear adult Halloween costumes and have a good time. These are the ones some call immature and would rather not anchor near.
[*]Free spirits who identify with the idea of self-reliance and individuality in a rather personal and intense way. Usually great people to have around when you need something, because they take pride in being accomplished and skilled sailors, and take a certain inner pride in owning those skills; otherwise, give them their space and don't try to tell them what to do. They may not even feel the need for you to know what their personal ethos is by flying the black flag, because some are so independent they simply don't care what you think about them and tend to eschew any type of identification with any group. They believe, by and large, that people are idiots and don't wish to associate with their trendy idiocy.
[*]Dreamy vagabonds who listen to Jimmy Buffet and are seeking an Endless Summer in paradise. Think Latts & Atts and listen to code terms like calling money "freedom chips."

As in all self-chosen identity, elements can be adopted from more than one category to create a custom-tailored persona. In CoastalCowboy's case, I sense elements from the second and third classes, and there are many like him. Blue Stocking is more of a pure second-class (William the) pirate (these are only my perceptions, and I could be wrong. I'm wrong a lot).

Anyway, any of those identities, or combinations, were all good and fine, until piracy re-emerged in the public mind, thanks largely to modern communications, just a few years ago. Now, what used to be merely a romanticized reference to the past, that sold many a child's Halloween costume and inspired many an independent adventurer, has come to be associated anew with a seriously lawless and violent reality.

So what are otherwise lawful people inspired by a perceived pirate romance or ethos to do?

The partiers don't think about it: the men are too busy applying their eyeliner and penciling on their Errol Flynn mustaches, and the women too busy getting that skull-and-crossbones navel ring to hang just so.

The second class, the independents, don't care much, unless they are a bit more annoyed than usual that the public mind sees their black flag (if they fly one at all) and comes to a stupider-than-usual conclusion about what it might mean.

The third class, the Jimmy Buffet/Latts & Atts guys, are the ones who are concerned about what others think of them, and it seems to them much more like a personal affront to be associated with modern-day Somalis, because it's more important to them that people to see them a certain way, and if the new PR is bad, they feel it reflects on their lifestyle, and by extension, them, negatively.

Sorry, Coastal, I don't see much you can do about it, except care less, or quit flying a black flag. You certainly can't go around passing out business cards printed with lyrics from "A Pirate Looks at Forty."

Good Luck.
Absolutely love your description of the second group, fits my Captain to a T!!
SeaHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 12:48   #79

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHearts View Post
Absolutely love your description of the second group, fits my Captain to a T!!
Throw us a line--welcome to the raft-up
Old 30-08-2011, 13:17   #80

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Yeah - but after a few years of plundering and she ends up looking like this . . .
Obviously she keeps her junk in her trunk!
Old 30-08-2011, 14:50   #81

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Yeah - but after a few years of plundering and she ends up looking like this . . .
You're a cruel man...

And I thought we go sailing to escape reality

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 15:04   #82

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
I've quite enjoyed this thread.
I'm a little disappointed that CoastalCowboy walked into the room, pissed on everybodies boots to get the fun going,
But then wiped up the mess when some people really got more offended than expected.
On the other hand I guess it shows diplomacy and people skills.

MarkJ's initial post surprised me, as did Jim's. The fact that I respect the men in both cases made me take note, look at their point of view, even understand it, but I can't adopt it.

I like all the romanticised symbols of freedom and independance. If nothing else, they help us appreciate that there is value in being an individual, and it's important to question mindless bureaucracy. But they are just symbols, and have about as much to do with their origins as the easter bunny has to do with the crucifiction!

So I'll buy the pirate in the bar a drink, and Robin Hood if he's standing there, and Jesse James, and Ned Kelly..., hell, I'll even buy one for the Gollywog for having the guts to fly in the face of PC gone mad(this is getting expensive!) not to celebrate their evil deeds, but to recognise that they make people think.

But I'll be just as annoyed as the next guy when they party too loud, and get drunk and behave like idiots, and the costume has nothing to do with it. I dislike all loud mouth drunks.

But hey, it's time to lighten up a little.

Here's one for you Mark...

Sorry Jim... Ann would kill you!
+1! That's exactly what I would've said... if I were more articulate & less abrasive. Now, where do I order this outfit for my wife?
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 15:23   #83

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
+1! That's exactly what I would've said... if I were more articulate & less abrasive. Now, where do I order this outfit for my wife?
You might try here
Old 30-08-2011, 15:32   #84

I think people flying the Jolly Roger should also stick one of these on their foreheads. It would balance things out and demonstrate their self-awareness.

Adamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 15:34   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
You might try here
OK, perfect, now just one more question:
How do I get her to wear it?
Old 30-08-2011, 15:37   #86

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:

With his link you have no excuse now!

HAHAHA HAAAA
Old 30-08-2011, 15:54   #87

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
OK, perfect, now just one more question:
How do I get her to wear it?
Probably if you can replicate this look, you would have no problem!

Click image for larger version

Name:	jack-sparrow-costume-johnny-depp-700x825.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	30983
Old 30-08-2011, 16:09   #88

This reminds me of how the Dixie Chicks were damn near terrorists for being anti-war. Remember about that heavy metal band called Anthrax? No one said anything about them until the hyped BS anthrax treat.

No one was complaining about pirates until the term pirate was associated with a real threat. No one with any decency promotes murder and thievery. So not being able to distinguish pirates from tale and reality only makes me think you're a moron.
Capt. lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 16:11   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Probably if you can replicate this look, you would have no problem!

Attachment 30983
Ah, therein lies the rub! If I could still replicate that look I'd be trading for 2 twenty year olds!

Mind you, the headscarf would hide the baldness...
Old 30-08-2011, 16:17   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I think there's a difference between the organised party, Pirate Night, end of season parrot bash, etc etc they are fun, everyone has them, everyone goes, its a good investment to buy a good quality pirate hat before going cruising...

and

People who have their pirate flag up in their spreaders day in - day out when cruising different countries.

The difference is apparent in some areas.
That's makes sense, obviously. As for the Buffet lovers, as long as they don't mind my preference for the Back in Black album, or the Beatles, Queen, etc., no problema!