Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 11:15   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I think one thing we all have to remember is that Chris and his group are only beginning. Perhaps it is unfair to expect all the answers when I doubt that they have themselves explored all their options.

Chris, if I could advise one thing…Focus your marketing energies on getting one reliable large sponsor, who has examined and vetted your organization, to put some serious start-up money into getting you going.

Once you can prove that you are a good investment in something we all want to succeed and developed some attainable goals …..the rest should follow.

Australia and NZ have a weakness for displaying the “tall poppy syndrome” and the Cruiser Log attack about Chris’ entertaining past was a sad example of that kind of cynicism.

I think we should give the guy the benefit of the doubt and let others who get involved early, make up their own mind.

Next year I will be sailing down in the Bohol area and will be happy to look in and help if practical.

Best of luck!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:17   #17
CF Adviser

David we seem to think alike.... only I type slower...... lol
Old 03-05-2008, 11:27   #18

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
join the Oceanwatch
No thank you.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:54   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
David we seem to think alike.... only I type slower...... lol
But you write better.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:41   #20
Marine Service Provider

Thank you David, that's a very sensible approach.
Our accounts in NZ have to be available too. Incidentally we have been approved by an USA based Organisation called 1% for the Planet. They vet organisations such as ours on behalf of donors and have seen our Trust deed and accounts. We have also been approved by the NZ Government and NZ Inland Revenue department so that donors get tax relief.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:54   #21
Marine Service Provider

Thanks Pelagic
That's a relief to get some balanced feedback and sensible advice. Your statement "it is unfair to expect all the answers when I doubt that they have themselves explored all their options" hits the nail on the head.

You are right about the tall poppy syndrome too!

Is your Pelagic the one Skip Novak used to own? One of our Trustees, Jane Pares sailed with Skip from Rio to Tahiti some time ago on a Pelagic.
I was in Bohol last year inspecting Andy Smith's boatyard where the Wharram Islander 65's are built (very good yard). OceansWatch wants to start work in the Philippines in 2009. We have 3 members in the Philippines already with yachts and others headed that way so there is good potential for some interesting and worthwhile projects. There are some good models of NGO/community co-operation there and some stable LMMA's (Local Marine Management Areas) have been established.
We look forward to working with you.
Old 03-05-2008, 15:06   #22

Location: "Noosa" Australia, I am French by birth and Australian by choise.
Boat: 2 boats , a colson 21 and a bolger micro
why all this controversy?
i used to give to Greenpeace, amesty international..ect., without questionning their statut
everybody has to start somewhere.

So many people go sailing just for ego or selfish, and they will drink in beer the $25 in one night !! getting P--- in some resort or others..or smoke in 2 days in cigarettes.
well , i am prepared to trust oceanswatch , their idea anyway..
because i sail in the Pacifique, and care

but all the people out there , who built , refit and buy boat " to sail in the sunset" and "dreams life"..
Do there really care where they dream to go ? and how the people lives and the Islands of the Pacific?
Do they just expect to show up in remote island with $$$$$$ dollars boats and what ?...drinking cocktail in the sunset, because they have the "best fridge onboard" that technology permit?

why not have a prupose, a altruisme goal?

In France , some organisation used private boat sail to Africa to bring some medecine in Senegal..ect..

it seams that people of this forum prepared their boat to sail in the Pacific, so maybe a few will want to feel they do it too with an goal , not just ego or selfish endeavour.
and if Chris and his oceanwatch teams are willing to coordinate some good intention and will, Good on them.
Old 03-05-2008, 15:49   #23
cruiser

Cathy,

It's fairly simple. Many MANY charities are scams - even the Red Cross was right after 9/11 when they took all those immediate donations and started using them to build out new buildings and expand their organization.

Only after negative media attention, did they divert the funds to NYC.

The burden (unfortunately for him) is on Chris to prove his charity is legitimate, and to share its annual budget with his donors. People who donate want to know where their money is going and what specific places it will be used.

If something in a charity's plan does not agree with the ideals of a potential donor, the donor will not donate.

You can't expect people to just join, donate, or shell out based on word of mouth. There need to be substance.

It would be like hiring someone without a resume, a job history or credentials just because someone on the internet told you to.

Chris signed up for this... I'm sure he knows what he's getting in to starting up a charity. It is no picnic, nor is it much different from starting any other company. The only real difference is it isn't taxed.

So you should understand the skepticism is healthy. Where is Chris's annual budget from last year that shows were all funds went? This is what people want to see before donating.

And... this has nothing to do with the merit of him or his organization. This is something called "due dilligence" which most investors and donors practice.

Also, donating to Greenpeace or Amnesty International is quite different. We have all heard of those before. Also, their fiancial statements are on their websites, so nobody has to ask. You can just go and see where the money goes.

That's why there is negativity. It has nothing to do with ethics. It has to do with due dilligence. The burden of proof is on Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyoz View Post
i used to give to Greenpeace, amesty international..ect., without questionning their statut

So many people go sailing just for ego or selfish, and they will drink in beer the $25 in one night !! getting P--- in some resort or others..or smoke in 2 days in cigarettes.

but all the people out there , who built , refit and buy boat " to sail in the sunset" and "dreams life"..
Do there really care where they dream to go ? and how the people lives and the Islands of the Pacific?
Do they just expect to show up in remote island with $$$$$$ dollars boats and what ?...drinking cocktail in the sunset, because they have the "best fridge onboard" that technology permit?

In France , some organisation used private boat sail to Africa to bring some medecine in Senegal..ect..

it seams that people of this forum prepared their boat to sail in the Pacific, so maybe a few will want to feel they do it too with an goal , not just ego or selfish endeavour.
and if Chris and his oceanwatch teams are willing to coordinate some good intention and will, Good on them.
Old 03-05-2008, 16:18   #24
Marine Service Provider

We can not share our accounts for last year because we are less than a year old! Our very limited accounts did go in front of 1% for the Planet who were happy enough to accredit us after their due dilligence.

The only donations we have had have been the membership fees, donations internally from our own Trustees and free or discounted goods and services here in New Zealand.

Best wishes, Chris
Old 03-05-2008, 16:26   #25
cruiser

Ahhhh... you are in the "chicken and egg" stage of the charity.

Again, not a knock against Oceanwatch. It's probably a great organization. I just was answering Cathy's frustration. I'm sure you're all too aware of the due dilligence, Chris.

It'll gain momentum.

Might I add: Your answers to questions both here and on that link to the other forum have been quite tempered and professional. Not an easy thing to do when people are questioning your organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansWatch View Post
We can not share our accounts for last year because we are less than a year old! Our very limited accounts did go in front of 1% for the Planet who were happy enough to accredit us after their due dilligence.

The only donations we have had have been the membership fees, donations internally from our own Trustees and free or discounted goods and services here in New Zealand.

Best wishes, Chris
Old 03-05-2008, 16:56   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceansWatch View Post
Hi Chris Bone here from OceansWatch.

If anyone has questions I will be happy to answer them.
What you see on the OceansWatch team page is the core but the team is fairly fluid.
We have no funding as yet, other than memberships and donations from Trustees. We have been donated the use of 1 yacht that we have accepted and are currenty looking at other possible yacht donations.
It is noted that the opportunity to promote your delivery business in your post was taken - How do you separate the finances between Oceanswatch and your delivery business ??
Old 03-05-2008, 18:08   #27

Boat: Vancouver 32 cutter
any way to get rid of sites that are trying to raise money?

“To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time.”

--Leonard Bernstein
Old 03-05-2008, 18:19   #28
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
any way to get rid of sites that are trying to raise money?
Yes! You could close your eyes along with your mind
Old 03-05-2008, 19:29   #29
Marine Service Provider

Separating the money is no problem Money coming into the Yacht Delivery Business goes out to support OceansWatch, simple I work 10 hours a day for OceansWatch but do not get paid a cent so that makes it nice and easy too
I am not a signatory for the OceansWatch account. I just manage the budget for the refit of the Yacht Magic Roundabout, that we were donated the use of. The money came from the owner. I spend hours running around town and writing emails to try and keep the costs down.
I am allowed $50 a month for educational stuff that I want, marine biology books mainly to get up to speed on the subject. OceansWatch costs me a packet but I have no doubt that it's well worth it
Old 03-05-2008, 21:11   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyoz View Post

Kathy,
Sullivan nailed it concerning why people cannot just assume OceansWatch is an efficient and trustworthy organization. It's called a healty skepticism.

I detected in your post a little cynicism about cruisers being selfish and self-centered in that all they are interested in doing is drinking and doing things just for themselves. Perhaps you are correct in that some of them are exactly as you described. You would be wrong in assuming that all of them are this way.

I would be willing to bet that most cruisers of have given time and money to charities at some time in their lives. Just because they are out on boats having a good time at present does not mean that they have not given in the past nor are giving right now to charity. Cruisers are also known for working together to help each other out as well as helping the people of the countries that they visit.

It would be unjust for charities or for cruisers to be prejudged here don't you think?

David

Life begins where land ends.
Closed Thread