Or a boltrope, etc.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 19:23   #32
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: It's all about the Rope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
My favourite is the sheepshank. Never found a use for it on a boat but it impresses the heck out of people when they see it.
So you never had to shorten a long length without undoing either end or beef up a worn section of line without replacing it or undoing either end
OK, so neither have I
But we can do it, right : with our old friend, Mr Sheepshank
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 19:27   #33

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
So you never had to shorten a long length without undoing either end or beef up a worn section of line without replacing it or undoing either end
OK, so neither have I
But we can do it, right : with our old friend, Mr Sheepshank
Err... actually, now that you mention it, I HAVE needed to do BOTH of those things, and never thought of the sheepshank. Silly me Great tips, thank you.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 19:34   #34
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Be warned that if you take the tension off it, it will undo! The locked sheepshank is better in this regard but at least one end of the line must be untied first.

A halfway measure is to use a plain sheepshank and throw a half hitch with the free bight around the line at each end. This will give some (but not a lot of) security that the knot won't undo as soon as the tension is removed.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread MG
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 20:38   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Wotname took the words right out of my mouth. Sheepshanks are dangerous! Don't use them.

Consider the alpine butterfly loop as an alternative.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 21:15   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Wotname took the words right out of my mouth. Sheepshanks are dangerous! Don't use them.

Consider the alpine butterfly loop as an alternative.
I use the sheepshank all the time for tying down loads on trailers and the like, never been a problem. The big strength of the knot being that it will always undo, no matter how much tension you put on the load. But that's the point really, I know the knot will undo so I always think of using it where that is a strength, not a weakness.

Yes, the alpine would be a better alternative where that is potentially a problem.

Matt
Old 10-12-2013, 21:41   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

> I use the sheepshank all the time for tying down loads on trailers

How about a Truckers Hitch?

Trucker's Hitch | How to tie a Power Cinch Knot | Boating Knots
Old 10-12-2013, 22:22   #38

Quote:

That's a bit more complicated than the version I know, I will try it out. Still looks like it might bind up, but I won't know till I give it a try.

Sorry, OP, bit of thread drift here.
Old 10-12-2013, 22:39   #39

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

Here's how to make a sheepshank VERY secure. Make your regular sheepshank, but make the bight at each end extra long, long enough to wrap around the standing part and bend back down and through the half hitch, like making a bowline. This makes each end of the sheepshank look like the upper part of the Trucker's Hitch suggested by GILow. Secure, and easy to untie.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 22:40   #40

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
My favourite is the sheepshank. Never found a use for it on a boat but it impresses the heck out of people when they see it.
Ah... the sheepshank... only used for grablines on life boats... however... half a sheepshank is simply one of the most useful and least understood knots out there... brilliant for lashing down your dinghy or tensioning down a load in the back of your ute... know to many as the trucky's or bullocky's hitch Truckers hitch | Nicaragua Living
Bit of a bugger to figure out... bits need to be under load ... but once learnt never forgotten... can be 'ganged' for extra purchase but don't try that on the back of your semi... if anything slips you will drop six feet and root your back..

Of the others.... the bowline of course... and the sheet bend... the only way to join two ropes that will be put under load ... and if you look closely it is mechanically the same as a bowline but involving two bits of rope.

The only redeeming feature of the clove hitch is that it can be tied in the middle of a rope when you cant get to the ends.... if used to tie a dinghy up a fair chance of it wriggling free... don't ask how I know that
Old 10-12-2013, 22:55   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

> the sheet bend... the only way to join two ropes that will be put under load

Only f they are different sizes. If they are the same size, then there are several alternatives. I like the Zeppelin Bend. Zeppelin Bend | How to tie the Zeppelin Bend | Climbing Knots
Old 10-12-2013, 23:04   #42

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoxieGirl View Post
Dockhead, Thanks for the short-list of knots. I have all those in my ap, and they seem quite easy. But you're right about practice, practice, practice. Tying knots is a great thing to do while watching TV. I need to watch more TV. LOL

I live in Suffolk, about 30 miles inland from Ipswich in a lovely market town with a lot of history.

I'm also going to work on the other knots mentioned, but will start with Dockhead's short list.

Roy, I bet you also know the Prusic knot, one of my favourite, although I doubt it sees much use on the water. The reef (square) knot is one I can do blindfolded and probably one handed.

Right, The Big Bang Theory is on, I'm in a hotel in the North of England with not much to do but get my length of rope out.

MG
Actually, the prussic is very useful(or one of its variants like the klimeheist). Used for climbing a halyard or taking the strain off a line. For example of you get a winch override.

Also,knowing the cleat hitch and how to coil a rope. I like the butterfly coil for that
Old 10-12-2013, 23:05   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: It's all about the rope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
And once a rope goes aboard a boat it becomes line.
To each his own terminology, but for many, a rope becomes a line (or a sheet, or a halyard, etc.) once it is in use, not when it goes on board.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 23:13   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

A really good knot

Probably the first one to learn after the basics are down cold. Prussik is also a good one, and very simple. The strongest way to join two pieces of same-sized rope is a Double Fisherman's Bend, which is also very simple -- just two interpenetrating double overhand knots.

I don't consider so-called "cleat hitches" to be knots at all.

The constrictor knot is essential for taking care of ropes -- so is maybe also basic in that sense.

If you're going to use ropes, then naturally you need be able to take care of them. Coiling them neatly and hanging them up is an essential skill, as is whipping the ends, washing them, etc.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 23:14   #45

Quote:
There we go, NOW we are finally getting to the crux of the matter.

100s of knots one could learn. 4 or 5 that everyone uses frequently, and when you are at sea for hours on end, does it matter if a knot is sloppy and difficult to untie? It'll just give you something to do while you watch the sun set.

But, when you have guests aboard, you MUST have at least one knot in your arsenal that will impress. ROFL.

MG

Tags
rope